• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corral vs the rest of the rookie field

micnificent28

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

Thats 100% not true.  Not true at all.

Its 99.9 percent true.  Definitely 99.9% true.  

Seriously though, looking at it objectively, without our preconceived notions about the potential for Corral's success, there is a pretty decent chance that he will be here at least three years.  Now if he comes back in the third season and looks horrible in preseason, maybe not.  But the reality is that if Mayfield plays well and resign him, then Corral will have a decent shot at being the backup.  If Mayfield doesn't look good and we get a new coach and we draft a qb in the first round, Corral will still have a decent shot at being the backup.  

• Pie 1

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

If a new staff comes in, they are 100% going to draft a qb in the first and there is a strong chance that they will want to bring in an experienced vet to help him along.  So I doubt they will be carrying 3 qbs, 2 being projects

Or they could have a qb coach that could help him.  As most teams do.

1 minute ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Its 99.9 percent true.  Definitely 99.9% true.  

Seriously though, looking at it objectively, without our preconceived notions about the potential for Corral's success, there is a pretty decent chance that he will be here at least three years.  Now if he comes back in the third season and looks horrible in preseason, maybe not.  But the reality is that if Mayfield plays well and resign him, then Corral will have a decent shot at being the backup.  If Mayfield doesn't look good and we get a new coach and we draft a qb in the first round, Corral will still have a decent shot at being the backup.  

If a new staff comes in he will be hanging on by a thread, thats just how its going to be

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I new coach isnt going to go with MC as a backup especially considering he hasnt practiced in a year.  A new coach is going to draft a guy in the first and more then likely bring in a vet

Corral will be here next year, regardless of whether Rhule is or not.  Probably the year after as well.  

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, micnificent28 said:

Nothing against what you said. However everyone else rookies are playing with similar restrictions... Howell and Willie in particular. They were sacked 4-6 times each. But the things they did was look like they belonged. They validated their selection and showed glimpses or flashes of potential. Now I know PJ behind ahead of him hampered some of his pT.

Then add in he missed the last preseason game where he probably would have gotten a half at least.. But I just didn't see it. His first game he was what 1-9 or 1-6? He didn't look like he belonged. Processing was slow and didn't have the mobility to make up for it. Not to mention the game he got hurt in he did better but still no wow.... I just need to see or feel some hope.. He didn't do that for me.

The 1-9, in all fairness, is 4-9 if three passes aren’t dropped by a UDFA tight end or RB. And two or three more were thrown away because of the pass rush. Context is sometimes worth considering.  

36 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I new coach isnt going to go with MC as a backup especially considering he hasnt practiced in a year.  A new coach is going to draft a guy in the first and more then likely bring in a vet

Yeah, it's a little unrealistic for Corral to be top 2 on the depth chart unless we really don't do anything to improve the position in the 2023 offseason. 

Then he has to somehow convince a new coaching staff which will be difficult with little to no tape available. 

It's unfortunate but he will be facing an uphill battle with the next staff more likely than not.

• Pie 1

This has probably been said, but I'm not reading all 6 pages lol....

Those other QBs were ''at least'' getting 2nd team reps, ''if not'' also some 1st string reps due to the fact there was only ONE player ahead of them on the depth chart. 

In the never ending wisdom of Rhule, we decided to SPLIT the 3rd team reps of our 3rd round, traded up for rookie with Rhule's boy from Temple PJ, and wasted his development time even further. THEN we played him behind the freaking 4th string OL backed up in the RZ trying to pass in a meaningless game with under 2 mins left in the pre-season. 

Just an idiotic decision because they want to try to help PJ catch on somewhere post cuts, and now with Darnold out, he likely sticks, and we see Darnold hit short term IR to start the year. 

Can't make this poo up.

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If a new staff comes in, they are 100% going to draft a qb in the first and there is a strong chance that they will want to bring in an experienced vet to help him along.  So I doubt they will be carrying 3 qbs, 2 being projects

A lot could change before next April. 

14 hours ago, rippadonn said:

How come the others couldn't. Yes it's an example. When he had time to throw and wasn't running for his life he put the ball in or near guys hands, only observed 2-3 maybe that got away from him to were just misses other than that when he threw it was crisp and accurate.

We didn't see enough reps with other players of NFL caliber to say anything....If you think we have...that's all I need to know.

angry schitts creek GIF by CBC

Just throwing into the net with no line or lineman infront of you is not indicative of a great accuracy QB just a cool gimmicky drill to get the arms warmed up 

• Poo 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, it's a little unrealistic for Corral to be top 2 on the depth chart unless we really don't do anything to improve the position in the 2023 offseason. 

Then he has to somehow convince a new coaching staff which will be difficult with little to no tape available. 

It's unfortunate but he will be facing an uphill battle with the next staff more likely than not.

Realistically Rhule had no interest in developing him so he had an uphill battle with this staff too.

I don't think it's crazy to imagine carrying 3 QBs in a circumstance where we draft one high in the first next year, though. If (and that's honestly a bigish if) Corral makes off season strides and plays well during camp/preseason he could still make the team and be poised to be the main backup in year 3, regardless of new staff.

It's technically possible, but imo incredibly unlikely, the same general idea could allow him to become starter.

QBs on cheap contracts have a lot of value, and while Corral is a project now, he'll be much less of one next year. And he will at minimum get a chance to perform in camp / preseason. I think a new coach is likely but Fitterer will likely still be here, so I think Corral will have one advocate still. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Corral will be here next year, regardless of whether Rhule is or not.  Probably the year after as well.  

It's possible.  But on the flip side, look at what's happening with Kellen Mond right now.  He was a 3rd round pick, drafted a year before Matt Corral.  He was talked up big going into the draft by Chris Simms, but he did not look good at all last year.  The Vikings have a new coach this year and there is talk of Mond being released.  That's not even 2 full seasons on the roster for a 3rd round QB.  And the only decent QB they have on the roster is Cousins.

• Pie 3