• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The plan for Shenault

Mr. Scot

From Joe Person in The Athletic

Person's speculation:

Shenault could fit in a lot of different places as soon as he gets comfortable in Ben McAdoo’s offense. The two were together for a season in Jacksonville when McAdoo was the Jaguars’ quarterbacks coach. So he’s well familiar with Shenault’s dual-threat ability.

According to TruMedia, Shenault lined up in the backfield 41 times in two seasons with Jacksonville. He had five catches for 17 yards out of the backfield to go with 18 carries for 72 yards.

Rhule's comments:

Rhule said the Panthers are happy with their Christian McCaffrey-led running back group and that Shenault would not be attending meetings with the backs. But it’s easy to envision McAdoo coming up with a special package for Shenault, especially considering how impressed Rhule was when he watched the tape of Shenault’s running plays.

“Again, that’s not the vision for him,” he said. “But when you see a guy that runs the football and runs through contact the way he does. Put him out on the perimeter, he brings an edge to your offense that you love to have.”

Shenault's feelings:

Shenault, who reached 600 receiving yards in both of his seasons in Jacksonville, is cool with the comparisons to Patterson, the Rock Hill, S.C., native whose 153 rushing attempts last year with Atlanta were more than twice as many as his previous single-season high.

But Shenault doesn’t want people to forget about his receiving skills. “Hopefully, I’m able to get in different positions and take that top off,” he said, “because I’m very capable of doing so.”

To be clear, while Rhule's comments don't echo what Person expects,  that could just be an attempt to not let slip how they plan to use him.

Guess we'll see in about ten days...

• Beer 4

2 minutes ago, PanthersGTI said:

Interesting he is not in the RB room. You would think they would want to have him mirror CMC so the offense doesn't have to change much if he goes down. Sounds like he is going to have his own place in the offense. Threats everywhere, just got to give Baker time. 

I'm not sure I buy that statement.

Even if true, it could be a "for now" type of thing.

• Beer 4

It's interesting the Jaguars traded Shenault so late in training camp. He was their #2 receiver in yards and receptions last season. He did have 8 drops though and when you put on the tape, he struggles to get separation on the outside.

I guess they just straight up decided Christian Kirk is taking his snaps and booted him out of town? Gotta give the big money guy his snaps I guess. Maybe their loss is our gain?

51 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I liked him in the draft and I'm still intrigued. But the trade value pretty much says the NFL has all but given up on him. I hope we can find a way to maximize his abilities.

If that were true there would not have been several teams bidding, including us I believe the total was 5 teams. 

It was a numbers game -- JAX added Marvin Jones, paid Kirk, and also added Zay Jones, and are under a new GM and regime. 

600+ yards as a rookie and sophomore in JAX with Minshew, and Trevor under Meyers is solid production. More than we got out of our 2nd round pick TMJ, who I am still high on, the OL + Darnold was just not an environment for an offense to be productive. 

Two years left on a deal for a top 45 pick, part of the negotiation also centers around the fact you have to pay the salary as well. 

Also JAX had little leverage, so it's all in the hands of the teams that are interested. 

If you don't like the addition it's whatever, but it's evident looking at the situation / stats / skill set, that we added a player with more potential than a Brandon Zylstra, or Keith Kirkwood. 

And no one referenced ''bidding war'' you're just using hyperbole to exaggerate the point you are attempting to make. Just like there was interest from several teams in regard to Mims, but the price was too low. JAX decided to get ''something'' versus just releasing him, or keeping him while paying him with no plans for him in the offense. 

If he can make the game day active roster, contribute some and improve over the year I would be happy with the trade. Expecting this guy to come in and do more than that is a bit more than I can do after watching Henderson struggle last year but take a step this year. 

• Beer 1