• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

baker is a franchise quarterback

PhillyB

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Oh sure. I mean who could ever possibly blame lack of practice reps for looking unprepared?

Just crazy, I know 😐

Explain to me how there were no missed snaps and batted down passes in preseason? How many reps does it take to prevent a 4th year vet from forgetting how to play football in a two seek span?

• Flames 1

40 minutes ago, Khaki Lackey said:

I'm not defending Rhule. Rhule might be the one thing you're finally right about, so congrats.

Baker's play was total cheeks in the first half now matter how many excuses you make for him, and training camp reps were not the reason.

not making excuses for cheeks play but i think those smacked-down passes got in his head early and it snowballed.

the reason i say he's a franchise qb (or looks like one) is he nutted up and rallied, took the team downfield to close the gap at the half and played on fire the rest of the game. darnolds and bridgewaters don't do what baker did when they have rough starts, they fold and get blown out.

11 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

not making excuses for cheeks play but i think those smacked-down passes got in his head early and it snowballed.

the reason i say he's a franchise qb (or looks like one) is he nutted up and rallied, took the team downfield to close the gap at the half and played on fire the rest of the game. darnolds and bridgewaters don't do what baker did when they have rough starts, they fold and get blown out.

Oh hell yeah. Baker totally redeemed himself and if he got that first half out of his system and plays like the second half Baker, he'll do just fine.

I'm just of the opinion that the bad snaps, smacked down passes, and bad accuracy of the fist half had a HUGE impact on the game. We were in a lot of 2nd/3rd and long situations, which doesn't help when trying to establish the run. Also the number of three and outs don't help a defense that struggles against the run.

Our coaching staff sucks, but the L yesterday was directly related to Baker's 1st half performance.

Edited by Khaki Lackey
  • Pie 1

15 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

The Brown DC said yesterday that since they were familiar with Baker they knew exactly what needed to be done to throw him off.  Crowd the pocket and put your hands up and they will frustrate him.  Seems pretty simple to me. 

• Beer 1

21 minutes ago, Khaki Lackey said:

Explain to me how there were no missed snaps and batted down passes in preseason? How many reps does it take to prevent a 4th year vet from forgetting how to play football in a two seek span?

Ask any NFL player, regardless of how many years they've played, whether or not they'll look better with more reps or not.

As far as the batted passed, that was a particular emphasis by Stefanski. He had told his D-line guys to make sure they got up in the air a lot specifically to try and do that because he expected quick drops and was familiar with Mayfield's typical trajectory.

Look to me like McAdoo probably made some adjustments on the dropback to account for that because we didn't see it so much in the second half (if at all).

17 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

I already see we are going to have posters that originally were down on Baker stay down on him when he plays well. I know we will have the opposite as well. I feel most rational people think he did his part today and willed them into a position to win the game (only to be let down by his coach and defense).

He dug them out of a hole of his own doing. (depends on how much weight you put on Baker for the muffed snaps and the batted passes)

• Pie 1