• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Refs screwed us

gorillamilitia13

It's probably been said several times in here already, but if a game against a Jacoby Brissett-led team that you've had months to prepare for comes down to a blown call, you lost no matter what. That first quarter and change that I was able to watch was ugly, ugly, ugly.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, Martin said:

It is 100% Rhule’s fault, there is no doubt about that. But we also got screwed by the refs on the last drive. Not mutually exclusive.

I loved this from the Raleigh Observer (?):

“And as much as people will point to a questionable roughing-the-passer penalty on Brian Burns that jump-started the Browns’ winning drive and set up their long-range field goal for a 26-24 win, much of the blame lies where it so often does, on a head coach who managed to both settle for a field goal and leave too much time on the clock at the end, a pair of decisions that came back to bite him on each cheek.

There’s a gym class somewhere missing Matt Rhule, whose team managed to look like 53 guys who were meeting for the first time in the first half only to be let down, once they figured things out, by their coach’s decision-making at the most critical moment in the second…

Rhule even walked away with a timeout in his pocket after the Panthers got the ball back with 8 seconds to go, for all the world looking like a guy pulling a Full Costanza after finding out the Nebraska job was open. If the Panthers had any trophies, he’d be dragging them around the parking lot right now. That, at least, would have been a Rhule decision fans could get behind.”

Yeah and if there’s an interception, the Huddle blames Rhule for not running the ball and kicking a FG. 

• Pie 1

45 minutes ago, weyco2000 said:

Tipped balls, fumbled snaps, missed tackles, kicking the ball out of bounds… poo happens and they rebounded. They should’ve won but didn’t but you stick to your agenda.

When a team makes more of those kinds of mistakes than they should, it shows lack of preparation. And that's on coaching.

Also pretty sure nobody keeps track of "should have won" anymore than they do" moral victories", "what if this had happened instead" or any other conjecture.

Likewise, I've never seen a head coach get credited for games they might have won or could have won if things have just gone a little differently.

If that makes you feel better about Matt Rhule, go for it.

Doesn't really work for me.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2
  • Flames 2

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

When a team makes more of those kinds of mistakes than they should, it shows lack of preparation. And that's on coaching.

Also pretty sure nobody keeps track of "should have won" anymore than they do" moral victories", "what if this had happened instead" or any other conjecture.

Likewise, I've never seen a head coach get credited for games they might have won or could have won if things have just gone a little differently.

If that makes you feel better about Matt Rhule, go for it.

Doesn't really work for me.

I can't argue with this... This staff has 16 more to be better or be gone..

11 hours ago, CRA said:

What Carolina did for 59 minutes got them the L. 

We had the lead at the end of 59 minutes, so that is patently false.  Arguing that we should always have an insurmountable lead with a minute left shows a lack of understanding of the modern NFL.

The last minute got us the L, with a lot of help from the refs.

BTW time to settle up.  Here's your avatar:

joe.jpg.89b61983cbbac867e7ebf0d3ba92d9ff.jpg

Enjoy!

Edited by poundaway
  • Beer 1