• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Moral victories vs. Pessimism

Wundrbread33

9 minutes ago, Darknight said:

Unfortunately, every thread eventually turns into a Rhule thread.

We're over the target that's why. Everybody can see he's not capable and wasn't qualified for a HC position in the NFL. His teams didn't even dominate anybody in college football. 

Everybody, fans, media, the janitor know this guy is holding this organization back because he's not a true disciplined NFL HC. Soft. Now the Panthers are soft.

If you don't rebuild with the right leadership it becomes a back to square one situation. That's where we're at. A new coach has to come in and clean this mess. An NFL coach.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, rayzor said:

i see what you're asking now. wasn't completely clear in the OP. How to cope with the team as it is, right?

i have become less and less attached to this team, probably as a defense mechanism and at the very least as a way to cope with a team that has rhule as HC and is spinning it's wheels. for me, it is about rhule. i refuse to stay invested in a team invested in matt rhule. 

is my way of coping any better than any other. probably not and don't care if is. it's just how i am doing it. everyone has their own way and it's legitimate for them. not everyone believes that each should have  their own way. lots of people judging others for their way of coping. and that's fine too, but they should know that they don't get to pick how each fan responds to the team and that it's perfectly alright if others don't have the same mindset. 

and if you can't handle the difference in opinions or think it makes the place unbearable...there's a solution: stay away.  

and regarding the comment someone else made that all threads come back to rhule...he's kind of the center of the team and many believe he's the source of most problems. HC is kind of important. it's only natural that when  you are talking about elements of the team that isn't going well, that you look to the guy running it.

Killer comment. Thanks. Wisdom in this.  

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, rayzor said:

i have become less and less attached to this team, probably as a defense mechanism and at the very least as a way to cope with a team that has rhule as HC and is spinning it's wheels. for me, it is about rhule. i refuse to stay invested in a team invested in matt rhule.

This. What used to take me days to get over takes me a couple hours.

15 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Similar. 

In my 20’s I was so angry when it came to sports. Took everything personally. A loss would sometimes linger all week. 

I guess my agenda here is the hope that people on here will realize they don’t have a say/control what the team does. 

If you can’t find something to like about the Panthers, then you are fuging yourself over and wasting your time. Doesn’t mean you can’t get disappointed or upset. Just don’t be consumed by it.

I see a lot pain in here. Life is too short to give that much of a sh!t. 

Just my opinion though. 

It's a good one. I just think most here are more angry with other posters then the team. This place is an argument machine when there is nothing really great to talk about, which is a positive and a negative. 2015 was a lot different then what we have seen the last 3 years around here. 

As far as the Rhule bashing, it's kind of like a punching bag. It is where all this frustration a disappointment stems from, not totally but that guy has a hand in everything except Tepper's bag. Why not use it the way he set himself up? Let off some steam on a guy who earned it. If it is above the belt, have at it. 

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Nothing is truly binary, but most of us are labeled as viewing the team one of these two ways. 

You know which way you lean. Why is your way a “better” way to deal with this team?

Michael Jones Smoking GIF by Rooster Teeth

Or maybe you haven’t thought that deep and are just full of blind rage…that’s fine too.

Rage GIF

You forgot apathy. I'm pretty apathetic to the team these days and only watch out of habit and for the laughs.

The Hornets had given me hope last year, but then the offseason happened, and yeah... it looks like they're back to being bottom dwellers.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I saw a photo of the stands in the first quarter yesterday from a friend. It was embarrassing. Thank goodness the browns fans showed up. Had they not, Tepper would have been looking at around 50% occupancy for his home opener. 

continually losing at home is one of the surefire was to kill a fan base. He better get that fixed ASAP. 

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Similar. 

In my 20’s I was so angry when it came to sports. Took everything personally. A loss would sometimes linger all week. 

I guess my agenda here is the hope that people on here will realize they don’t have a say/control what the team does. 

If you can’t find something to like about the Panthers, then you are fuging yourself over and wasting your time. Doesn’t mean you can’t get disappointed or upset. Just don’t be consumed by it.

I see a lot pain in here. Life is too short to give that much of a sh!t. 

Just my opinion though. 

The amount of animosity and the vitriol I have seen towards Rhule is crazy. The Rhule criticisms are valid but some of them are just too extreme.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Nothing is truly binary, but most of us are labeled as viewing the team one of these two ways. 

You know which way you lean. Why is your way a “better” way to deal with this team?

Michael Jones Smoking GIF by Rooster Teeth

Or maybe you haven’t thought that deep and are just full of blind rage…that’s fine too.

Rage GIF

I look at it a bit different than that.  There are two different mindsets as you say, but I think they are Coach vs. Player.  We don't have the skills to be either one but we like to think we do.

The fan who takes the "Coach" mentality likes to think "I found the problem and here's what needs to be done to solve it."

The fan with the "Player" viewpoint feels we need to support our team and trust the system.

Although the two viewpoints rarely get along, it doesn't change that both are correct and both are true fans.

I said all offseason I'd be first in line to eat my crow if Baker panned out and Rhule lead the team to a playoff season. 

Unfortunately Matt Rhule is probably one of the least qualified people to ever become an NFL head coach. College head coaching experience does not equal NFL experience. This has been proven time and time and time again, but still NFL owners keep taking chances on college coaches. Very few college coaches are successful in the NFL save for a few big exceptions. Pete Carroll and Jimmy Johnson being the biggest in the last 30 years, and Carroll already had a failed stop as an NFL head coach in New England. Most of the others successful college to NFL coaches were before most of us were born. I think Tepper thought he was getting Jimmy Johnson and he ended up with Greg Schiano. 

An NFL coordinator has built connections on NFL staffs throughout a career. It was quite obvious Matt Rhule's biggest downfall was the fact he didn't have enough connections to build an NFL caliber staff. We've seen that become a stone cold fact in 2022 given how much turnover his staff has endured. The staff was filled with mostly college level coaches in 2020 and the results weren't great. The offensive coordinator had never even called plays at any level. Hire college coaches, get college results. It's pretty simple.

I just don't know how long it's going to take to fix this mess. Tepper made a huge mistake hiring Rhule, but the biggest mistake was keeping him in 2022. You could take this same roster and put it in the hands of Brian Daboll or Kevin O'Connell, hire an NFL caliber defensive coordinator, and it's competing week in and week out. The Panthers missed a golden chance to part ways with a certified failure. And now we have to sit through yet another miserable season. 

• Pie 3