• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It's not JUST coaching.

Dragoon11

4 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

You can't lose these many games in such crap-tasitc fashion and say it's the players and not the coaches.  Also, who makes the roster? Oh yeah, THE COACHES.  Yes, players can blow games here and there, but when they can't seal the deal EVERY...FREAKING....WEEK, that's on the coaches.

I don't know man, like I said, I'm frustrated too and just trying to make sense of it. How can we be playing to the level of our competition all the time, and rarely pull one off. I guess it is coaching.

Edited by Dragoon11

10 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Good coaches elevate teams.

Good coaches win with the little things.

Good coaches make sure the fundamentals are covered and valued.

Good coaches turn players into stars.

Good coaches understand situational play calling.

Good coaches have their teams prepared to compete every week, every quarter.

We don't have good coaches. 

I would add:

Good coaches inspire players to reach for excellence.

Good players find it hard to play for coaches they don’t believe in. Teddy was probably right in his assessment and I doubt he was the only one.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, Dragoon11 said:

I don't know man, like I said, I'm frustrated too and just trying to make sense of it. How can we be playing to to level of our competition all the time, and rarely pull one off. I guess it is coaching.

Mistake #1.  Having Chubba on returns.  That's not hindsight...actually foresight.  I called that one.  The reason he rarely sees the field is because he has hands of stone, but then he's the backup return guy??????

That set the tone right out of the gate.  Once Hubbard fumbled it was like the team collectively was like, 'oh crap, here we go again.'  It's a mindset now, the team is just waiting for the shoe to drop each and every game.  The current coaching staff can't fix that.  Only a new voice with a new vision and renewed belief is going to steer this team in the right direction. 

I'm not in the locker room, but from the outside it appears Rhule's messaging has grown stale with these players.

• Pie 2

Just now, 45catfan said:

Mistake #1.  Having Chubba on returns.  That's not hindsight...actually foresight.  I called that one.  The reason he rarely sees the field is because he has hands of stone, but then he's the backup return guy??????

That set the tone right out of the gate.  Once Hubbard fumbled it was like the team collectively was like, 'oh crap, here we go again.'  It's a mindset now, the team is just waiting for the shoe to drop each and every game.  The current coaching staff can't fix that.  Only a new voice with a new vision and renewed belief is going to steer this team in the right direction. 

I'm not in the locker room, but from the outside it appears Rhule's messaging has grown stale with these players.

No, all good points.... and I don't like Shi Smith returning punts. Injury waiting to happen like we saw today. Maybe the biggest point is that Rhue and Co. TRULY is losing the locker room.

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

Rhule’s arrogance is one reason why he has failed as an NFL coach. He thinks his way is the only way to do things and refuses to adapt to situations as they come up. Sounds a lot like his buddy Tepper.

This is exactly right. One example: Christiansen’s arm length. A simpler one today was continuing to use Chuba Hubbard to field kicks.  

1 hour ago, Dragoon11 said:

First and foremost, as a disclaimer, I AM NOT defending Rhule and Co. Their situational play calling obviously speaks for itself game after game. This team is losing too many close games. Some of the things I see, and try not to fry me too bad, these are just my opinions, are: I remember back in 2015 when Cam had his MVP season, Panthers went to the SB and we were on top of the world. Even then, our offense would be very inconsistent at times, the difference being, DEFENSIVE play making ability. Real simple, Panthers won the turnover battles and it wasn't even close. How many times did they leave the offense a short field or score themselves? Today the Panthers gave up the ball on the opening kickoff and opening offensive series spotting the Giants 6 points, lucky that's all it was but it was the difference in the game. Frankie Luvu had a pick six go right through his hands! Panthers are not forcing enough turnovers on defense PERIOD! Conversely, they are not making enough big plays on offense.

What I see is a team that does not have enough big play making ability yet, minus CMC and maybe DJ on offense, same can be said on defense. Brown had a good game and Burns had 2 sacks, but Burns needs to be a CONSTANT disrupter, much like TJ Watt or the way Julius Peppers could just take over a game, and of course Luke. Seems like Burns doesn't make big plays in the biggest impactful moments, yeah, he gets his numbers, but when? This team desperately needs big time play makers on the field MAKING big time plays, yet we're just not seeing that. We saw Anderson last week on offense and we saw CMC bust one and DJ come up with a couple of big plays today, but we need it on both sides of the ball more consistently when it matters most. I guess the team needs more passion? They need to be more clutch, IDK? Is that just a product of coaching? Not putting players in that position? I'm sure it plays a part. But what happened when the Panthers went down the field on offense and took a 13-6 lead? The defense let the Giants off the hook. A turnover there... stripped sack, interception, forced fumble, could have given the offense a short field with momentum and COULD have changed the whole game. AGAIN, (coaching disclaimer) the coaching staff could have screwed it up IDK. To me, it just seems like this team (the players) are not stepping up in the moments they need it the most. Defense held Giants run game to 0 net yards in first half, 103 in the second half, and no forced turnovers! The Panthers need play making leaders on the field making plays in those moments that determine the games. Most NFL games come down to a 1-3 turnover margin and/or 1-3 KEY plays.

I'm as sick to my stomach as all of you at the constant just coming up short, all the losses piling up, and I realize there's way more to it. Sundays suck anymore as a Panthers fan. I do not like some of the situational play calling by the coaching staff, especially when we get in the red zone. No, I AM NOT a Rhule fan by any stretch, but at some point players have to step up. Just my opinion.

I think we have plenty of big play ability, and we will see big plays all year.

What we haven’t seen in two games is intelligent, drive sustaining ability. 

Getting cute on 3rd and short with deep contested passes for example. 

CMC should be working the short middle of the field. It’s basically automatic against a linebacker, but we aren’t seeing it. 

We have a run blocking line, so let them eat. 

Very disappointed with the offensive philosophy so far. I expected more, which shows you I never learn 😆

• Pie 1