• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is the OL really that bad?

UNCrules2187

That seems to line up with my viewing of the game.  I think someone nailed it in another thread - Baker needs to learn to step up in the pocket instead of bailing laterally any time pressure comes from the edge.  That's something you would expect a rookie QB to struggle with, not a 5th year vet.

And most of our pressure seems to come from simply being outnumbered, when they send 6-7 players on a blitz.  That's when we need to get better at utilizing hot reads, which Baker did a couple times (to Ricci and Ian Thomas) but it needs to be more consistent.  I'd put that on coaching.

For the most part though, it seems like our o-line is doing well in one-on-one matchups.  It really felt like when the Giants rushed 4-5, we had a relatively huge amount of time in the pocket compared to what I'm used to seeing from a Panthers o-line.  But again, in clean pockets when there was no pressure, I would see Baker rushing and forcing passes instead of going through reads.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

The players are not bad. The coaches are... especially when they play them out of position.

Playing Chinn at FS, Shaq at MLB, Burns in coverage or containment on running downs...

Ickey needs to be at guard, BC needs to be at LT, and Elf needs to be cut. Bozeman will be an improvement at center.

Moton and Corbett have been good absent their need for Elf.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, ChibCU said:

I wonder if Baker bails out quickly as the pocket collapses due to his difficulty in throwing over that close traffic. He might swing out to get a throwing lane.

Yeah plenty of Youtube breakdowns showing that's his tendency. He's much more effective in play action than traditional pocket/shotgun 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

sigh.....hope this doesnt come off as baker hate......It seems bakers doesnt trust the OL and once he does, they let him down...... I swear it looks like Sam "hella" Darnold after week 4 2021.....just fear..

Christ has played the best and Im shocked that Moton seems like hes played the worst. If you take away the bad snaps, ELF has been fairly good too......Im shocked..Ickey is playing like a 1st round rookie. Colbert is solid thus far, but hasnt been tested...

Baker needs to sit down with Mccadoo and figure this fear deal out.....I believe hes not liking the calls. 

• Pie 1

The Panthers could still have Cam Newton and be just as good if not better for it instead of going from an injured Cam to Allen to Teddy to Darnold to Baker

Baker is a game manager. He is not going to command and win games in the last 4 minutes of a close game on a regular basis. Of Cam, Allen, Teddy, Darnold, and Baker... Cam Newton is the best option to have in the last 4 minutes of a close game if those are the only QBs to choose from. All that draft capital and time used up by the Panthers on QBs while they had the best option from the start. Insanity.

• Pie 1