• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sean Payton to coach in 2023 for the right team

Ja  Rhule

51 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

My best guess is he's waiting in Dallas, and Dallas wants him.  

I think we would be an option if that doesn't work out, but that's why it's in our best interest to fire Rhule ASAP.

But tbh, I prefer Payton, I like Leftwich and Flores, and the idea of Dorsey is really, really growing on me.

If Jerry is as patient with McCarthy as he was with Garrett, he's going to be waiting a long time.

9 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

If Jerry is as patient with McCarthy as he was with Garrett, he's going to be waiting a long time.

I can't see it.  He had an added attachment to Garrett because he spent the majority of his career there as a player, specifically their Super Bowl years in the 90s...  I always felt that was why he was so patient with Garrett.  I don't get that same feeling with McCarthy.  He seems to be skating on a lot thinner ice...

12 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Remember when he was on the hot seat after 7-9 for 3 seasons in Brees’ prime to be saved by that great 2017 draft class from Loomis? Pepperidge farm does.

Pepperidge Farm also remembers he had just signed a 5-year extension (through 2020) before the start of that 3rd 7-9 season in 2016. He wasn’t going to get fired 1 year into that extension that was paying him $9M per. 

TL;DR - his seat wasn’t hot

3 minutes ago, Iron Saint said:

Pepperidge Farm also remembers he had just signed a 5-year extension (through 2020) before the start of that 3rd 7-9 season in 2016. He wasn’t going to get fired 1 year into that extension that was paying him $9M per. 

TL;DR - his seat wasn’t hot

You can't tell me there wasn't fire Payton rumblings in the saints fanbase.

7 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

You can't tell me there wasn't fire Payton rumblings in the saints fanbase.

Dang, I must’ve missed the meeting where the fans got to vote on the job security of the head coach! I didn’t even get as much as an email despite having club seats! 😭

C’mon now, you know every fanbase has its share of *** clowns that just want to remain miserable regardless of how things play out every season. We’re no different. Hell we had threads by those aforementioned “fans” wanting to get rid of Brees for challenging the franchise tag we used on him.

There’s a reason we aren’t paid as fans. 

7 minutes ago, Iron Saint said:

Dang, I must’ve missed the meeting where the fans got to vote on the job security of the head coach! I didn’t even get as much as an email despite having club seats! 😭

C’mon now, you know every fanbase has its share of *** clowns that just want to remain miserable regardless of how things play out every season. We’re no different. Hell we had threads by those aforementioned “fans” wanting to get rid of Brees for challenging the franchise tag we used on him.

https://amp.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/new-orleans-saints-sean-payton-on-the-hot-seat

You can’t act like it wasn’t real. I vividly remember PTI segments discussing it.

Edited by Panthercougar68

9 minutes ago, Iron Saint said:

https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/article_9569bfba-d5c0-5e83-9c31-30a745118543.amp.html

here is a more local flair

He will be 59 turning 60 next year. It’s clear he wants to get into broadcasting to me. So I’m having trouble seeing how he is a long term solution? He was great with the Saints but retired after only one season without Brees in which he went 9-8 and missed the playoffs (lost to Darnold and Rhule also).  What makes anyone think he wont leave to be a broadcaster after a year or two without instant success.

Now do we trust Tepper and Fitt not to get crushed by NO in a trade for their HC? We are almost certainly going to have a high draft pick (that should be used on a QB) that NO will gladly take off our hands plus more. I think Tampa gave up 2 firsts and a second plus money to get Gruden from a team they rarely face. So we would have Sean Payton with no QB, no cap space (2023), and no draft picks. How long before he leaves that mess after a losing season or two?