• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stephen a Smith on Baker on his press conferences and performances. I agree

raleigh-panther

Baker played on a talented offense in a defense optional conference. His accuracy was highly overrated coming out because his completion percentage was high - you couldn't really tell if he was capable of putting balls in tight windows because he didn't have to. His traits were average, but he plays like he thinks he's Josh Allen physically. That means that his hyper competitive nature which is his best trait at times is also his worst trait at times. And he just doesn't have an answer when blitzed.

There are two kinds of quarterbacks in the NFL, guys you can win with and guys you can win because of. When a guy's on his rookie deal, you can tell if he falls into the "guys you can win with" category because you can put a pretty good team around a QB on his rookie deal. The Browns had an elite run game for him behind a great offensive line, plus some defensive talent, and a couple offensive playmakers. They won with him - but very clearly not because of him. That put him below the level of guys like Goff and Wentz who looked like they might be superstars with the loaded group that the Rams and Eagles were able to put around them - and those guys still ended up falling into the "win with" not "win because of" group.

The Browns correctly realized they couldn't be a winning franchise with Baker leading the group on his second contract, and made some questionable decisions afterwards. Carolina isn't as good of a situation as Cleveland was, and we just see more of Baker's warts now. But he's pretty much the same guy he always was, just not surrounded by what he was in Cleveland.

• Pie 3

Baker used to be an extremely accurate QB.  I saw him make throws in season 3 that only a handful of NFL QB's could make.  I haven't seen anything like that from him since.   Stephen's exactly right.  When you're playing that poorly, first you have to acknowledge it, second you got to keep your mouth shut except for apologizing to your teammates AND the fans after a loss that's mostly on you.   I would still like to see him turn it around.  But that window is almost closed.  At some point the coach has to think of the rest of the team and put Walker in if Darnold isn't ready.

If you watched the Baker clip, he’s clearly saying that all that matters are guys in the locker room at this point, and he won’t let outside opinions and noise distract him. 

Unfortunately, he worded it poorly. 

The media naturally will make it sound like he said “look at that kid fan over there fug him and fug all the rest of them “. 

Edited by Wundrbread33

Hes sureeeee missing SKip.........

I will never forgive Skip for ruining sports talk for me, fuging hate it and iot been nearly 10 years since I tuned it out......its still toxic trash water... 

But after I found out sas is the highest paid employee at ESPN, hes laughing alll the way to the bank. But thats all I need to know about espn and their trash-ass network. 

• Pie 1