• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Was Rhule worse than Seifert?

Who was worse  

69 members have voted

1. 1. .

• George Seifert
    • Matt Rhule

Just now, PNW_PantherMan said:

Seifert had the team looking decent in his 1st 2 years with Steve Beurlein at QB.  It was time to move on, but Chris Weinke was a terrible replacement.  Seifert wasn't a good coach, but I don't think he was awful either.

Beat me to it.  Seifert thought he needed to upgrade from Beuerlein when Steve wasn't the problem.  The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Seifert was bad but he wasn't arrogant about it like Rhule. The arrogance in the face of everything a fan could see on the field every game was just mind numbing. Repeated bone head decision after bone head decision. We went from Cam to T2G to Darnold to PJ sorta to Cam2.0 to Baker to whatever the fug this is now. Holy fuging poo show. 

This one is tough because this season seems so awful, but that Siefert Weinke combo is the only time I actively disliked the team. I think Rhule and Baker were trending that way but since we cut ties early it won't get to that point. As others have pointed out we were at least competitive at times during Seifert but he was so unlikeable as a person it makes this a tough one.

33 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

This thread is going to be full of recency bias. 

Watching that Seifert coached NFL team was tough to sit through. My dad had a suite during that period of time, that came with tickets in the 307 section. I always preferred to be outside rather than the box...  I showed up to every home game saying to myself "this is the game we win..." and it never happened. Seifert just didnt give a fug, he rode his 49ers pedigree and drove the franchise into the ground. He got progressively worse each season that went by... 3 years here as well... 

That nut had announced he would be back for another season at his presser and then was fired the next morning. For good reason. 

As bad as Seirert was Rhule was worse. 

Rhule never won big in college nor the NFL. His only accomplishment was rebuilding shitty small college teams to play mediocre. 

Not to mention Steve Beuerlein had good numbers and threw for over 3000 yards back when QBs didn't have it easy. Moose had over 1000 yards and we rushed for 600+ yards that same year. Our defense caused 38 turnovers that year as well. Those are respectable numbers even though they didn't produce wins. Not to mention we were 3rd in the NFC west in 2000. 2001 was more about losing Beuerlein more than anything else. 

3 years of Rhule was all about Rhule. We never had a jump in stats no matter who played where and no matter who was QB. 

Edited by Snake

22 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Ditching Steve Beuerlein for Jeff Lewis was Seifert's fatal error.

That strongly resembled a Rhule move. However Rhule is in his own class among the worst coaches in NFL history. He’s only better than a handful of coaches on the Hue Jackson and Rod Marinelli tier.

5 minutes ago, Snake said:

Not to mention Steve Beuerlein had good numbers and threw for over 3000 yards back when QBs didn't have it easy. Moose had over 1000 yards and we rushed for 600+ yards that same year. Our defense caused 38 turnovers that year as well. Those are respectable numbers even though they didn't produce wins. Not to mention we were 3rd in the NFC west in 2000. 2001 was more about losing Beuerlein more than anything else. 

Seifert chose to replace him with Jeff Lewis. Seifert traded a 3rd and a 4th for Lewis. Seifert was making Rhule type of decision while Rhule was in college.

3 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Seifert chose to replace him with Jeff Lewis. Seifert traded a 3rd and a 4th for Lewis. Seifert was making Rhule type of decision while Rhule was in college.

Yes but he still had better numbers. I mean we are talking about two suck ass coaches so they are going to do dumb poo. Rhules dumb poo was just worse overall. We were not competitive in any year under him. 

1 minute ago, Snake said:

Yes but he still had better numbers. I mean we are talking about two suck ass coaches so they are going to do dumb poo. Rhules dumb poo was just worse overall. We were not competitive in any year under him. 

The only way I change my stance on this is if two years after the Rhule regimen we have a completely different roster and still not competitive. The only thing Seifert has going for him in my eyes is the draft he had in 2001. 

Just now, TheCasillas said:

The only way I change my stance on this is if two years after the Rhule regimen we have a completely different roster and still not competitive. The only thing Seifert has going for him in my eyes is the draft he had in 2001. 

So you're just going to ignore stats and proof that Matt Rhule sucked more? I didn't realize you simped for Rhule that much. 

5 minutes ago, Snake said:

So you're just going to ignore stats and proof that Matt Rhule sucked more? I didn't realize you simped for Rhule that much. 

Dude, why are you after my opinion like that? I shared why Seifert was the worst coach in Panthers history from my point of view. I had emotional attachment to the entirety of his tenure.

Just bc you and I have different perspectives about shitty coaches doesnt mean anyone is "simping." Whatever that means.

1 hour ago, TheCasillas said:

This thread is going to be full of recency bias. 

Watching that Seifert coached NFL team was tough to sit through. My dad had a suite during that period of time, that came with tickets in the 307 section. I always preferred to be outside rather than the box...  I showed up to every home game saying to myself "this is the game we win..." and it never happened. Seifert just didnt give a fug, he rode his 49ers pedigree and drove the franchise into the ground. He got progressively worse each season that went by... 3 years here as well... 

That nut had announced he would be back for another season at his presser and then was fired the next morning. For good reason. 

While recency bias tends to definitely have an effect on our perspective, see below.

1 hour ago, KillerKat said:

Yes. The team was competitive in 2001, they just couldnt come up with the W`s. This is the worst team next to 2010.

This.  And Seifert had a background and history working with one of the best coaches in league history before coming here, as well as professional players as a professional coach.  Even the 1-15 season, we were so effing close.  It was just so many heartbreaking losses coming down to the last drive or last play from what I remember.  We were competitive.  

Under Rhule, we got worse each season...  we regressed and not just by a little bit.  The fact we knew if the opponent scored 17, we were going to lose is about as hopeless as it gets.  He was horrible.