• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PHIL SNOW FIRED AS WELL

TheWiz

1 hour ago, WUnderhill said:

My god this is logical nonsense. Let’s just trade all our picks for 6th rounders then.

No it just shows that putting all your hopes on a first round prospect isn't guaranteeing anything and if you want to use the Colts or Bengals as evidence that it works, I just point out the Patriots and Seattle as evidence it can be done other ways as well. And let's have the conversation about how many first round QBs bust.

Edited by panthers55

29 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

You make it sound as if there is a surefire franchise QB in this coming draft.  I see potentially good QBs but none that say Franchise about them.  

Look at T. Lawrence in Jacksonville.  He's not, IMO, living up to expectations.  Maybe he doesn't have a supporting cast but he not showing he's elite yet.  He may never be but in 2021 draft everyone was sure he was a surefire franchise QB. 

You base your assumptions on Corral on a HC that treated him like he was a freshman in college.  He didn't give him any real opportunities to shine.  I agree he looked horrific in his first preseason game, but most knowledgeable fans would say he looked much better in the 2nd preseason game before he got hurt.   I think given a real opportunity with a good coaching staff we could have a GOOD QB, maybe not a franchise QB but someone who can execute the offense.  Someone who can score enough points to complement our defense. 

Rhule put us in this situation to consider a QB in 2023.  I'll wait until after the season to say whether I believe any college QB is worthy of the #1 spot or even top 5 picks. 

I am set in stone that I want a QB selected high in 2023 draft unless our scouts are dead set against it. I'm not qualified to evaluate the QBs, so it's up to the scouts. I want to roll the dice if the scouts find a good QB, and let that rookie compete with Corral. That is the scenario I want. Of course the QB rookie might flop, but that's true of every single rookie QB selected in every draft. There is an element of luck involved, and an element of devils advocate in what you're saying.

I'm not trying to say anything is written in stone about Corral. What little we have to go on he looked really bad. I would certainly not pin my hopes on Corral from what little we have of him from the preseason. Yes things can change. Could Corral become a great QB? Not based on what I've seen, but we don't have much evidence either way, and I am not a pro scout.

The wait and see approach always wins out because we'll have more information later. But on the other hand we (the Panthers) are going to have to make some moves. At this point I have the plan I want to see play out, and it doesn't involve counting on just Corral, or skipping the 1st round QBs and hoping for another 6th round Tom Brady, or a just barely good enough to execute the offense type QB. We need a top prospect imo.

We're in waiting situation. It's fun to make predictions and come up with plans before we actually have to make the decision. Anything can happen. I might change my opinion 10 times before we reach the draft.

33 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

There are no  guarantees so why would we tank for a QB that has a good chance of not even being great let alone win Superbowls??

Because First round QBs hit incredibly more often than QBs taken in the following rounds. This is proven.

"But they bust more too!" no crap, as it is the most important position in football, prospects that show almost any kind of potential usually go in the first two rounds. We're not a playoff team, there's no reason not to tank and try the get the best available player. 

41 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

No it just shows that putting all your hopes on a first round prospect isn't guaranteeing anything and if you want to use the Colts or Bengals as evidence that it works, I just point out the Patriots and Seattle as evidence it can be done other ways as well. And let's have the conversation about how many first round QBs bust.

So the number 1 pick has no more value than the number 5 pick or some random 6th round pick just because not all the best QBs come from the number 1 pick. That’s a dumb argument to make. Ok let’s have the equally stupid bust conversation. Guess we should never pick a 1st rd QB again because some of them bust.

5 minutes ago, Rags said:

Because First round QBs hit incredibly more often than QBs taken in the following rounds. This is proven.

"But they bust more too!" no crap, as it is the most important position in football, prospects that show almost any kind of potential usually go in the first two rounds. We're not a playoff team, there's no reason not to tank and try the get the best available player. 

Won't argue that. But if supposedly guys like Willis and Corral were first round talents most years but all fell last year, the question is whether he can be as good as any of the guys coming out in this draft or is more like a true third rounder and more likely to bust. 

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Won't argue that. But if supposedly guys like Willis and Corral were first round talents most years but all fell last year, the question is whether he can be as good as any of the guys coming out in this draft or is more like a true third rounder and more likely to bust. 

Willis and Corral were always media overhypes. Willis has potential but is the definition of a project, whereas Corral has a great release and solid short to intermediate accuracy, but his deep accuracy leaves a LOT to be desired and his durability is a real concern, though I do think if he's able to work out Corral's a late 2nd prospect. 

There's a reason these prospects fell.

Edited by Rags