• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Opinions on this scenerio

Jmac

Wilkes comes in and somehow wins 6 games. They end up out of the top ten in draft picks.

They either draft the best option at QB where they sit or bring in a vet to mentor M.C next season with option to start him when ready.

Opinions please...

I'd probably look to take a swing at someone like Anthony Richardson if he comes out, but wouldn't be surprised if they went for a WR (given DJ's the only proven option on the roster next season at the moment) and maybe target someone like a Hendon Hooker, Grayson McCall, or Cam Ward in the 2nd round. 

2 minutes ago, Jmac said:

Got a feeling that Wilkes may be able to do something like this. 

Win a few games that seemed un-winnable  with Rhule and company.

I get it, I like Wilks as a person and the story would be amazing if he somehow does this, but I think he is being overestimated here. At the end of the day he was HC of a Cardinals team that finished last in the league under him and now he gets to coach a panthers team with PJ walker at QB, Ben Mcadoo at OC, a litany of key injuries on D and still a very tough schedule. 

• Pie 1

30 minutes ago, panthersgreenville said:

I get it, I like Wilks as a person and the story would be amazing if he somehow does this, but I think he is being overestimated here. At the end of the day he was HC of a Cardinals team that finished last in the league under him and now he gets to coach a panthers team with PJ walker at QB, Ben Mcadoo at OC, a litany of key injuries on D and still a very tough schedule. 

I get that point of view and I don’t necessarily disagree. 

I don’t know a lot about that Arizona squad outside of clearly being a transition from one era to the next. 

Our team however, has had clearly the worst QB play in the league with Baker. Completely pathetic (I blame McAdoo too).

PJ is quite literally our 4th string QB, but it’s not out of the question that he ends up moving the ball better than Baker. 

It’s crazy that if Baker was the 25th worst QB instead of 32nd, this team could be sitting at 3-2 or 4-1 and Rhule is still coach. 

So I fully expect to keep losing with PJ, but I wouldn’t be shocked if we won some games with just slightly more effective offense. 

• Pie 1

The tough part about solving QB is getting enough of a sample size to make a determination.  Some guys have the IT factor and play better than they practice making it even harder to evaluate.  It seems so costly burning entire seasons searching for answers though.  I'd like to see no less three young QB prospects on the roster next year each getting at least five games of action.  It took no more than five games over the last three season to know Teddy, Sam, and Baker weren't the answer.  

Wilks will bring Professional Football back to Carolina.  The deal with Arizona, IMO, he got shafted.  You don't hire a new coach because your football team is playing well.  Not many new HC are going to come in and become SB contenders in one season.  While his offense was terrible, I believe his defense was very good.  I just think Arizona dumped him because they wanted Kingsbury and regardless of how good or bad Wilks was they were going to can him.  So, IMO, I don't take much of what happened in Arizona as a true gauge of Wilks ability to coach. 

I think if he wins 6 of our last 12 games, he MIGHT get the interim removed from his title.  I would expect a young OC to come in and take over from McAdoo regardless of our final record. 

• Beer 1

I would need to see it to believe it. Punching the Rams in the nose with no film of PJ or any of the changes could be enough for a win this week. I need to see more than that to get on that hype train. 

I remember Wilks as a DC and a HC. Just being better than Rhule isn't that same as being good and he really wasn't good beyond a position coach. We celebrated when he left to become HC because he wouldn't be our DC anymore. I need to see what has changed because if it hasn't then we are in for more competent loses the rest of the year. I'm incredibly skeptical McAdoo was much more than what we have seen this year (again a slight bump but not enough). 

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Wilks will bring Professional Football back to Carolina.  The deal with Arizona, IMO, he got shafted.  You don't hire a new coach because your football team is playing well.  Not many new HC are going to come in and become SB contenders in one season.  While his offense was terrible, I believe his defense was very good.  I just think Arizona dumped him because they wanted Kingsbury and regardless of how good or bad Wilks was they were going to can him.  So, IMO, I don't take much of what happened in Arizona as a true gauge of Wilks ability to coach. 

I think if he wins 6 of our last 12 games, he MIGHT get the interim removed from his title.  I would expect a young OC to come in and take over from McAdoo regardless of our final record. 

They were 8-8 the year before Wilks took over.  Wilks took them to a league worst 3-13.  His and Holcomb's D was 26th in points allowed (with Peterson, Reddick and Jones). 

Wilks staff changes so far have been D and special teams, the two performing units.

Our problem is offense, mostly QB play, scheme and play calling.  

Its possible PJ doesn't play like PJ and we see improvement in QB.
Its possilbe Sam Darnold then takes over and plays better than Baker.
Its possible McAdoo makes the right adjustments with Wilk's guidance and the scheme and playcalling improves.

Just doesn't seem likely.

Wilks is loved by former Panthers players and he has a commanding presence.  He played a part in a great D that was absolutely loaded to the tits with talent.  We'll see what he can do with this crew.