• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Question about Giovanni (& the rest)

top dawg

For those that have watched film and/or really know or have interest in the position, can Giovanni Ricci block effectively? I would think not, or why else hasn't he gotten a more significant role in the offense? Was it Rhule, or is it McAdoodoo---my nickname for him until he and his players proves otherwise---holding him back, or is Ricci simply JAG? 

Look, regardless of getting a good payday, Ian Thomas hasn't even been pedestrian since he's been here in my estimation. He seems to be OK at blocking, but his hands are quite suspect, and for all the draft profiles and analysts exclaiming his athleticism, he looks slow to me--like he's running in sand. He certainly takes some time to get going and has appeared fairly easy to tackle from what I've seen. To be fair, I'm not suggesting that there isn't a place in the league for him, but I just haven't seen anythimg from him that screams "starter!" Tell me. Maybe I've missed something. Just from a distant observation, in my eyes, it seems like Ricci just brings more spark and a sense of urgency to the position. 

Since asking about Ricci and discussing Thomas, I might as well throw Tommy Tremble in the mix; How's his blocking? Is that not supposed to be his thing?

I am always skeptical when a coach comes in suggesting that players (even the unheralded ones) will get a real opportunity to get some appreciable time on the field, as it always turns out to be rhetoric---coach-speak! But, I can't help but take a cat like Wilks at his word. In my mind, it's time to let one of these TEs to shine if they are able. So, you tell me if you believe that Ricci, Tremble, Thomas or the other guy can do it. 

I know that we'd all prefer the next Antonio Gates, and I'm hoping that we can draft a stud, but who (if any) can at least be above average on this team? Or, are we destined for a rotation of JAGs because no one is complete enough to credibly take the reins? 

11 minutes ago, top dawg said:

For those that have watched film and/or really know or have interest in the position, can Giovanni Ricci block effectively? I would think not, or why else hasn't he gotten a more significant role in the offense? Was it Rhule, or is it McAdoodoo---my nickname for him until he and his players proves otherwise---holding him back, or is Ricci simply JAG? 

Look, regardless of getting a good payday, Ian Thomas hasn't even been pedestrian since he's been here in my estimation. He seems to be OK at blocking, but his hands are quite suspect, and for all the draft profiles and analysts exclaiming his athleticism, he looks slow to me--like he's running in sand. He certainly takes some time to get going and has appeared fairly easy to tackle from what I've seen. To be fair, I'm not suggesting that there isn't a place in the league for him, but I just haven't seen anythimg from him that screams "starter!" Tell me. Maybe I've missed something. Just from a distant observation, in my eyes, it seems like Ricci just brings more spark and a sense of urgency to the position. 

Since asking about Ricci and discussing Thomas, I might as well throw Tommy Tremble in the mix; How's his blocking? Is that not supposed to be his thing?

I am always skeptical when a coach comes in suggesting that players (even the unheralded ones) will get a real opportunity to get some appreciable time on the field, as it always turns out to be rhetoric---coach-speak! But, I can't help but take a cat like Wilks at his word. In my mind, it's time to let one of these TEs to shine if they are able. So, you tell me if you believe that Ricci, Tremble, Thomas or the other guy can do it. 

I know that we'd all prefer the next Antonio Gates, and I'm hoping that we can draft a stud, but who (if any) can at least be above average on this team? Or, are we destined for a rotation of JAGs because no one is complete enough to credibly take the reins? 

I agree with you 💯. Tremble would be a better fit in the TE/HB role. Ricci is a good receiver but is not really suited as a HB. Thomas is a decent blocker and receiver but limited. Sullivan can catch but is an enigma. I hope we can upgrade this group next offseason.

• Beer 1

48 minutes ago, Growl said:

if you had told me coming into the season that Ben mcadoo would have giovanni Ricci and ian Thomas as the focal point of the offense I would’ve believed you 

Last week when they ran what looked like a well timed, well planned, well executed, well practiced, super effective, flawless  screen, meticulously imaginative for none other than Ian Thomas backed up against the goal line, and it netted five yards, I took a long hard look in the mirror. I instantly regretted all the bad things I said about people with addiction problems. 

29 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

Last week when they ran what looked like a well timed, well planned, well executed, well practiced, super effective, flawless  screen, meticulously imaginative for none other than Ian Thomas backed up against the goal line, and it netted five yards, I took a long hard look in the mirror. I instantly regretted all the bad things I said about people with addiction problems. 

shut up and consume product

Ricci is being played like he is because, I think, McAdoo wants a FB and Rhule said we don't do fullbacks around here anymore. So, they took the guy who could kinda be a FB and made him into that hybrid.

Honestly, though, unless it is an automobile or a mule, hybrids are pointless and non-(re)productive.

Ricci was probably our best TE, if that's how we chose to use him. He can block and he can catch. He seems to know the game and doesn't shy away from contact in the least.

Tremble has potential. Thomas has shown his and it wasn't impressive.

None of the above are Greg Olsens, not even close. 

3 hours ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Ricci has caught everything, and he looks more naturally athletic and instinctual with the ball than Thomas. 

I’d feature him more as the pass catching TE, and Tremble more as the lead blocker TE/FB hybrid that they put Ricci in. 

He’s caught 5 out of 6 passes for 58 yards. Calm down it’s not like we have a pro bowler hidden away.

7 hours ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Ricci has caught everything, and he looks more naturally athletic and instinctual with the ball than Thomas. 

I’d feature him more as the pass catching TE, and Tremble more as the lead blocker TE/FB hybrid that they put Ricci in. 

Exactly. I’m not sure what Rhule and MacAdoo were thinking featuring Thomas in that role. More square peg round hole ideology I guess.

7 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Ricci is being played like he is because, I think, McAdoo wants a FB and Rhule said we don't do fullbacks around here anymore. So, they took the guy who could kinda be a FB and made him into that hybrid.

Honestly, though, unless it is an automobile or a mule, hybrids are pointless and non-(re)productive.

Ricci was probably our best TE, if that's how we chose to use him. He can block and he can catch. He seems to know the game and doesn't shy away from contact in the least.

Tremble has potential. Thomas has shown his and it wasn't impressive.

None of the above are Greg Olsens, not even close. 

It's a Rhule thing from last year. He was a full time TE in college

• Pie 2