• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tanking does not guarantee a good QB

Panthers Fan 69

3 hours ago, Rags said:

Nothing guarantees a good QB

But if you have a shot at getting a good QB you take it and live with the consequences lol.

Over half this board wouldn't want Allen if he were in this years draft, rightfully so because none of us knew his intangibles, work ethic and desire to win and get better.

Truth of the matter is with QB you just keep swinging until you get it right. 

That’s exactly how the Bills got Allen too. They kept swinging over the years until they struck liquid Gold 

1 hour ago, NJPanthers12 said:

I hope the panthers lose every game the rest of the year 462-0. Any win would be devastating to the future of this franchise.

Nah competitive losses would be better. It’s hard to turn a fan base back in your favor if we continually get embarrassed beyond any hope or repair. I want a top quarterback out of this draft too. I just don’t want irreparable damage to our squad. 

4 hours ago, Beast_3000 said:

Nah competitive losses would be better. It’s hard to turn a fan base back in your favor if we continually get embarrassed beyond any hope or repair. I want a top quarterback out of this draft too. I just don’t want irreparable damage to our squad. 

Were you not here for the 2010 season?

8 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

0% chance that happens.  When was the last time a team traded out of the top 5 and still got a qb?

Yep in that case we should just draft Levis at 2 if he is our guy. Honestly that might not even be a reach for him depending on the rest of the season. 

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, WUnderhill said:

Nothing guarantees anything, here’s some actual data.

# of super bowl winning QBs by pick in the past 20 years:

#1 - 3 Super Bowl Winning QBs

#10 - 1

#11 - 1

#18 - 1

#24 - 1

#32 - 1

#75 - 1

#88 - 1

#199 - 1

#227 - 1

The #1 pick has produced 3x more Super Bowl winning QBs than any other individual pick. Additionally, 3 other #1 overall picks, a #2 overall pick, and a #3 overall pick all played in Super Bowls over that same period and lost. 10 of the past 20 Super Bowls have featured at least one QB picked in the top 3 overall picks.

I looked at the similar stuff, and I agree.  While the #1 doesn't guarantee it, it helps.  There have also been plenty of other quality QBs in the top 15 picks.  Teams that pick #1 tend to have a TON of problems.  Just look at Jacksonville.  They have their "generational" talent at QB, then turn around and have to draft #1 again.  Sometimes, you just have a bad team, period.

The Panthers aren't there.  Sure, we're not a great team, but it's also because we have wiffed for years trying to replace Cam Newton.  But our OL is better.  Our defense is pretty good.  Our ST is MUCH better in years past.  We have CMC, when healthy, is one of the best in the league.  If we can improve our coaching, maybe not having a micromanager coach is the key, we could be a better bad team.

Then....crazy thought....if we manage to get the right coach and QB...  We could make some noise as soon as next year.  The Brady will retire, or just breakdown.  Atlanta still can't figure out it's QB situation.  The Saints are going to start aging out, and they still need a QB.  So (and this is a font sized 72 IF) if we can finally get our QB and coach squared away...I almost don't want to say it... =P

3 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Perhaps we should draft qb, but intentionally tanking has never worked. The Dolphins were the last team to try it, and they still haven't made a playoff game.  

Of course, we are likely to get a high draft pick even if we don't tank, so this may be and likely is, an irrelevant conversation.  

The Colt went 53-33 with Luck and won four playoff games. They never went to the big game but I'd still say "Suck for Luck" worked out pretty well for them.