• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CMC to the 49ers

Ricky Spanish

6 hours ago, poundaway said:

So I did what you said and went to the Saints, Falcons and Seahawks forums.  I didn't go to the Falcons forums twice tho.

You get mostly disinterest.  Some saying the 9ers with CMC there for the screens is going to be a great combination, some laughing that the 9ers have given away all their draft picks for Lance and CMC.  But nothing like some resounding "9ers got fleeced" theme.

Believe what you want, but CMC was worth A LOT more than Sam Darnold.  He just is.  And when the dust settles and we see what the final picks are actually worth, we may  have given up more for Sam in draft capital than we got for CMC.

200.gif

Oh, and thank you for proving my point that…

a. I didn’t use the word “fleece” however…

b. When most people are saying the niners gave up too much, that is in essence the exact same thing as saying “the niners got fleeced” and most definitely….

c. No one is saying the panthers got the raw end of this trade anywhere except this forum. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Shaq leaving is 13M. The other is already gone. 

Burns can’t get you 15M with extension. At best 10M. They have to put some of his signing bonus on first year. 6-7M is more realistic as a cap number for next year. 

Moton gets you 10M. Moore 14.5M. For two players.not living up to their contracts. at this time. 

With 40-50M in dead cap. How much are you putting into a team that won’t be contending? Add in the 16 or so players needed to fill out team, 

It would be 39 million in dead cap if we are including the 13 million we would get from offloading Shaq. I dont see how we would get to 50 million in dead cap.

Let's say we get 10 million from Burns... Moton 10 million and 14.5 million from DJ....

Thats 35 million from restructuring at our current clip of -3 million. This is before the cap ceiling is raised. You also have Elf's contract which would give us 4.75million at 2.9 dead cap. 

So that would be 41.9 million in dead cap and 39.5 million in available cap BEFORE the cap ceiling raises. With 9 picks in the draft and 35 players under contract. 

All of the above with a rookie QB (most likely) and 115 million the next season..... This is an ideal situation for the franchise at this transition point.

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Id take Austin Ekeler over CMC if we are going to do year by year comparison and availability. Austin Ekeler is an elite back in this league. He is a dual threat just as much as CMC but has found ways to get into the endzone more than CMC at 200 less touches. 

Best part of Ekeler? An undrafted free agent. 

I hope we never draft another RB higher than round 3 for the rest of our existence. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

It would be 39 million in dead cap if we are including the 13 million we would get from offloading Shaq. I dont see how we would get to 50 million in dead cap.

Let's say we get 10 million from Burns... Moton 10 million and 14.5 million from DJ....

Thats 35 million from restructuring at our current clip of -3 million. This is before the cap ceiling is raised. You also have Elf's contract which would give us 4.75million at 2.9 dead cap. 

So that would be 41.9 million in dead cap and 39.5 million in available cap BEFORE the cap ceiling raises. With 9 picks in the draft and 35 players under contract. 

All of the above with a rookie QB (most likely) and 115 million the next season..... This is an ideal situation for the franchise at this transition point.

Now factor in the 15 million for the draft picks. 

Thats 20 million to sign 10 players one of which will have to be a veteran QB. Thats 2/mil a player or 1 mid level guy and a couple UDFAs to balance it out. 

2024 things get interesting but then you have Brown, Chinn, Horn all coming up for extensions. We are far from set. The only hope of success for the franchise is that they hit on this draft like the Saints did in 2017 and more importantly they absolutely nail 1.01 and get a true franchise QB.

22 minutes ago, Visual.Avenues said:

He’s worth what an actual NFL team is willing to give up for him - NOT what some random user on a panthers forum *thinks* he’s worth. 

what we got was the best anyone was willing to give for him. So, um, yeah. 

I don't doubt it but how much of that is because they showed their hand and had no leverage? If he asked to leave they had to accept the best AFC offer they got and every team probably knew this. The return is a not direct reflection of his value if they were backed into a corner.

Edited by MechaZain

This is really unfortunate.  CMC was exactly the type of running back that makes a real difference, someone you can rely on as a safety valve for a young QB.  Run the offense through CMC while the rookie comes up to speed.  I don't understand the need to jettison him.

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Id take Austin Ekeler over CMC if we are going to do year by year comparison and availability. Austin Ekeler is an elite back in this league. He is a dual threat just as much as CMC but has found ways to get into the endzone more than CMC at 200 less touches. 

Ekeler has also been palying with Rivers, Herbert, Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, and decent offensive coordinators. It will be most interesting to me to see, given what he's done in Carolina with what's been around him, how CMC performs with that caliber of cast in SF.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, SteveSmithTD89 said:

Now factor in the 15 million for the draft picks. 

Thats 20 million to sign 10 players one of which will have to be a veteran QB. Thats 2/mil a player or 1 mid level guy and a couple UDFAs to balance it out. 

2024 things get interesting but then you have Brown, Chinn, Horn all coming up for extensions. We are far from set. The only hope of success for the franchise is that they hit on this draft like the Saints did in 2017 and more importantly they absolutely nail 1.01 and get a true franchise QB.

The great thing with extensions is you can set it up where the first year is cheaper with how bonuses pay out, we are in fine position to extend all these guys if we want especially with yearly cap raises.  Dead money clears for 2024, we'll be able to structure money in the contracts to complement each other.  perfect with a QB on a rookie deal.  Probably wont get to have too much fun in free agency this year but that's not the end of the world.  Would rather be extending our guys anyways.

Of course you want to hit on picks but if we can get in position to grab a QB this is the best this teams future has looked since probably right when Cam got hurt.

Edited by stan786
  • Pie 1