• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Inside the Carolina Panthers' three seasons of quarterback failure

Vox

14 hours ago, pantherj said:

Fitt comes off as spineless in light of this new information. Talk about getting dominated and pushed around.

i mean no other respectable, talented, up and coming GM would agree to be hired by the damn HC let alone straight from Baylor lmao

this is why he must go, he isn’t the best for the job, that ‘coincidence’ doesn’t exist

stop the god damn bullshit already Tepper and do this poo right you dumbass. but you’ll need to fire him first, don’t make yourself look stupid/inept again by requesting and being denied an interview because title already taken lol idiot

8 minutes ago, onmyown said:

i mean no other respectable, talented, up and coming GM would agree to be hired by the damn HC let alone straight from Baylor lmao

this is why he must go, he isn’t the best for the job, that ‘coincidence’ doesn’t exist

stop the god damn bullshit already Tepper and do this poo right you dumbass. but you’ll need to fire him first, don’t make yourself look stupid/inept again by requesting and being denied an interview because title already taken lol idiot

Yeah I've heard of a lame duck head coach with no power, but a lame duck GM? Leave it to the Panthers to have one.

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, Snake said:

It's year two bud. The success of a QB isn't going to solely depend on him but the film shows he's making NFL throws while under extreme pressure. I still love how the huddle can crown PJ after one good game but can't see Fields progressing in a terrible situation they just started to get right. 

I've not crowned anyone in a loooong time, but okay.

And yes, year two for those guys. None of them have completely ripened on the vine yet, so it is still hard to tell. None of them are tearing the place up yet, so we will just have to see. And that gets back to my original point, it's a roll of the dice when it comes to drafting a QB and pedigree only takes you so far,

I mean, our two Super Bowl QBs were both great, one was the #1 draft pick and the other guy was a nobody picked up off the Saint's discard pile. The rest (except for maybe Burlein and Collins) were just busts and quite a few spectacular ones. Crazily, that's not just how it works for us, but for most teams in the league.

The one thing that brings me comfort is that it seems our overall scouting department is actually good and has the ability to identify QB talent. With Scott Fitterer now in full control we can go back to being a professionally run organization instead of the clown show that Rhule ran around here. 

3 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

And yes, year two for those guys. None of them have completely ripened on the vine yet, so it is still hard to tell. None of them are tearing the place up yet, so we will just have to see. And that gets back to my original point, it's a roll of the dice when it comes to drafting a QB and pedigree only takes you so far,

I mean, our two Super Bowl QBs were both great, one was the #1 draft pick and the other guy was a nobody picked up off the Saint's discard pile. The rest (except for maybe Burlein and Collins) were just busts and quite a few spectacular ones. Crazily, that's not just how it works for us, but for most teams in the league.

Almost no QB lights the world on fire year two unless a good team needs a QB and finds one in the draft like NE with Brady, Pitt with Rapestburger, Baltimore with Jackson or KC with Mahommes. Also every one of those teams has a strong FO that knows how to find talent. Yes it's a roll of the dice if you are a bad team with bad scouting. But if you are say the Bills with a good coach and good GM it's not luck it's skill. So to my end point Rhule was a shitty coach and evaluator who had zero clue how to find talent. Thus why he passed on several young QBs to start Darnold and Mayfield. The most hilarious part of that is he could have saved cap and picks and just let PJ play because he's better than both. That's how terrible he was. 

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Snake said:

Almost no QB lights the world on fire year two unless a good team needs a QB and finds one in the draft like NE with Brady, Pitt with Rapestburger, Baltimore with Jackson or KC with Mahommes. Also every one of those teams has a strong FO that knows how to find talent. Yes it's a roll of the dice if you are a bad team with bad scouting. But if you are say the Bills with a good coach and good GM it's not luck it's skill. So to my end point Rhule was a shitty coach and evaluator who had zero clue how to find talent. Thus why he passed on several young QBs to start Darnold and Mayfield. The most hilarious part of that is he could have saved cap and picks and just let PJ play because he's better than both. That's how terrible he was. 

Can't argue with that. Rhule was a massive mistake for this organization.

4 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Whether or not Collins would be considered a bust overall could probably make a decent debate.

He certainly was for us though.

• Pie 2

22 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

One other quote from the article indicates that one or two members of the "anti-Herbert faction" were in the scouting department.

Even as Carolina celebrated the win, one scout remembers texting another: "Man, we were right."

There's actually been a fair amount of turnover in the scouting department since that time and following the hire of Scott Fitterer. A few departed with Ron Rivera and others have just been let go or replaced. Also it's previously been reported that Fitterer was given a blank check by Tepper to reshape the personnel department as he wished.

So basically, there's a pretty decent chance that whoever said that doesn't work here anymore.

That's not what that quote meant I don't think .... The quote is in reference to Herbert's performance in that game. The article itself clarified this. That's why it starts with "even as"... And this bit RIGHT before it: "But behind the scenes, a few of the scouts who had pushed for Herbert squirmed as they watched the 22-year-old throw for 330 yards, showing the poise and command of an offense they believed could have stabilized the position for a decade or more."

EDIT: woops see that someone else caught this 🙂 Behind a day hahah.

Edited by mav1234