• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What’s your 2023 QB big board (including Corral)

Wundrbread33

Probably an effective way of viewing the upcoming class, is assuming Corral is part of it. 

So far (imo):

1. Young (the size kills me tho)

2. Corral (talent is there. Good feet. Release, arm, mobility are ideal. Fragility may be a problem.)

3. Stroud (need to evaluate more, but surrounding talent is worrisome. Young plays with better “feel”)

4. Levis (looks raw but physically he has it all)

5. Hooker (older, so could be mentally and physically more developed than opponents)

This isn’t in stone for me, and there is inescapable bias toward Corral that I’m trying to avoid in evaluating these guys, but it’s only natural that it would be there. 

The more I watch Young, the more I like him. I don’t care about stats, or the plays when he has 5 seconds to throw (aside from his ability to go through reads), but he can throw off platform, from the pocket and on the move, his release is Corral fast at times when he needs to make a quick throw, he has great feet and feel for the game, plenty of arm, and has shown accuracy and touch at all levels. 

Curious what your rankings would be, and any justifications you would like to share. 

• Pie 6

1. Stroud - Agree on the surrounding cast being very good and worrisome, but I've seen the ability to throw guys open and to guys who are covered, so its not like Mac Jones where every completion felt like there wasnt a defender within yards. I like that he doesn't seem to run, feels like an element to his game he can unlock, but should also hopefully help him only do it sometimes when needed and stay healthy.

2. Young - All of what you said, Size is a huge concern though. It's easier for small QBs now, but still being tall/thicker frame definitely has its benefits. 

3. Levis - I really like what I saw when I watched him, big arm, plays in a pro style offense so under center won't be an issue for him if asked to do that. Accuracy seems solid and doesnt have stars around him, so thats encouraging. I can't help but worry hes being moved up boards cause of the Josh Allen effect, could be chasing a unicorn. Also, 3 years older than Stroud/Young, so developmentally thats a concern, kinda raw for someone whos 24.

4. Corral - I really liked him coming out of the draft last year, not holding anything against him with his short pre season stint with Rhule. I just think hes slightly behind my top 3 as a prospect. Love the release, seems like he would fit very well in our current scheme which makes it even more disappointing he got injured. 

I don't know enough/watched enough of anyone else to really gauge any order. I watched some of Hooker in the Bama game and he was impressive, but I really dont like hes going to be 25 when drafted, how close is he to his ceiling as a player?

• Pie 2

I too like Young the best so far.  CJ is likely more "ready" than Levis but Levi's has some interesting attributes. my dark horse favorites are Cam Ward and Hendon Hooker.   Corrall injury worries me. That and a new regime is likely.  He may be screwed from the start.  If we go with a different position I feel Will Anderson from Bama is the guy.  I know defense again? But him Burns, Chinn, and Horn would be a nice core for the defense. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Samppson said:

1. Stroud - Agree on the surrounding cast being very good and worrisome, but I've seen the ability to throw guys open and to guys who are covered, so its not like Mac Jones where every completion felt like there wasnt a defender within yards. I like that he doesn't seem to run, feels like an element to his game he can unlock, but should also hopefully help him only do it sometimes when needed and stay healthy.

2. Young - All of what you said, Size is a huge concern though. It's easier for small QBs now, but still being tall/thicker frame definitely has its benefits. 

3. Levis - I really like what I saw when I watched him, big arm, plays in a pro style offense so under center won't be an issue for him if asked to do that. Accuracy seems solid and doesnt have stars around him, so thats encouraging. I can't help but worry hes being moved up boards cause of the Josh Allen effect, could be chasing a unicorn. Also, 3 years older than Stroud/Young, so developmentally thats a concern, kinda raw for someone whos 24.

4. Corral - I really liked him coming out of the draft last year, not holding anything against him with his short pre season stint with Rhule. I just think hes slightly behind my top 3 as a prospect. Love the release, seems like he would fit very well in our current scheme which makes it even more disappointing he got injured. 

I don't know enough/watched enough of anyone else to really gauge any order. I watched some of Hooker in the Bama game and he was impressive, but I really dont like hes going to be 25 when drafted, how close is he to his ceiling as a player?

Levis is the guy I need to catch up on the most. 

Any particular games that impressed you with Stroud/Levis? 

4 minutes ago, mickeye76 said:

I too like Young the best so far.  CJ is likely more "ready" than Levis but Levi's has some interesting attributes. my dark horse favorites are Cam Ward and Hendon Hooker.   Corrall injury worries me. That and a new regime is likely.  He may be screwed from the start.  If we go with a different position I feel Will Anderson from Bama is the guy.  I know defense again? But him Burns, Chinn, and Horn would be a nice core for the defense. 

I agree on Anderson. Pairing him with Burns would be so lethal I would take him over the QB’s if I was in charge (at least currently) which would cause riots in the streets. 

Corral’s injury worries me too, and is the main reason I would fully support drafting QB even if I think Corral has a very complete talent base. 

• Pie 2

#1: Stroud - he does not look like any of the previous OSU QB's, he's going to put this stereo type to bed. Tall, throws dimes, reminds me of Herbert.

#2: Hooker - age seems to be his only issue which I don't find to be much of an issue. He may require a situation that tailors to his game which is a hard ask - but could be worth the scheming to allow him to succeed. Reminds me baby of Cam.

#3: Wilson - I really like Bryce, he is a true escape artist, knows the game really well, never scared, he takes huge hits all the time and just keeps going. My only knock on him is that he obviously has great weapons, but his line is even better, They allow him so much time to get creative and allow receivers to get open. We have a great line but this is the NFL, he's not gonna get 20 seconds to throw the ball and wait for DB's to get tired. Reminds me of Russell Wilson.

#4: Levis - Levis might be really good, he's got some accuracy issues but definitely seems like a project worth investing in. He's big, fits the mold of what has been successful at the QB position. Don't wanna say he reminds me of Josh Allen, maybe like a better Blake Bortles. Playoff Bortles.

#5: Matt Corral - I don't even think I have Matt at 5, there are better prospects. I saw Matt play in the NFL, he unfortunately does not have it. I wanted him to succeed very much, he's from my area and seems like a great dude. His debut was really weak and with the foot / leg injuries back to back, I don't ever see him breaking out.

• Pie 4

2 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

Umm no. What you said is actually contradictory. The first part is right though as Bama allows a lot of sacks (Bama Oline not good). 

I didn't say they don't give up a lot of sacks, but the dudes definitely give him a lot of time on some of these crazy plays he makes if you watch the games. They do some back yard run around and wait BS that would not work in the NFL is what I'm getting at.

• Pie 1

As someone who has opposed pretty much every Ohio St. QB and wanted no part of Fields, Stroud is not like the rest of them. Most of the rest of them were run first QBs and relied on the read option. Stroud is not that.

I haven't watched much of Ohio St. this year, but watching him last year, the dude was just dropping dimes to his wide receivers. He has unbelievable finesse/touch on his post & corner passes and is able to thread the needle into a small window. I think he is mobile enough and has good pocket presence to avoid sacks at a decent rate. I know Ohio St. has good WRs, but I think this year's cast doesn't even come close to the talent that was there last year. Olave, Wilson, and Smith-Nijgba is probably one of the best receiving groups on the same team I can recall in college football.

I don't know enough about Levis and haven't been super impressed in the games I have seen him play, but I would be pretty shocked if Young goes ahead of Stroud, barring some type of injury to Stroud.

Edited by PleaseCutStewart
  • Pie 3