• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stroud vs Iowa QB School

JawnyBlaze

5 minutes ago, RJK said:

Dark horse for me is Anthony Richardson. Big time athlete, might be there if the panthers win a few more games. He’s raw but worth the risk if they miss out on stroud. 

If he lands in the right spot with the right coach, watch out NFL!!!  I've heard he might stay another year though...

• Beer 1

20 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

If he lands in the right spot with the right coach, watch out NFL!!!  I've heard he might stay another year though...

I would personally like to see Ken Dorsey as the next HC. I can’t think of a better situation than Josh Allen’s QB coach🤷‍♂️ If he declares for the draft…

Edited by RJK

41 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

There’s no comparison with Fields beyond the same school. Stroud throws a better ball and Fields was a one read QB. Stroud is the total package. 

I may be wrong but I felt Fields was more athletic and more dynamic with his legs. Could be wrong - havent seen as much Stroud as I did Fields just due to moving to another country lol. Stroud is / seems better throwing the ball though.

I still think Fields has a shot of being great though.

22 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

There’s no comparison with Fields beyond the same school. Stroud throws a better ball and Fields was a one read QB. Stroud is the total package. 

Watching Stroud really reminds me of Freshman Jameis at FSU. Same pinpoint accuracy on intermediate/deep throws, both could put the game away quickly once they got rolling. Tons of big plays downfield without turnovers.  

6 minutes ago, RJK said:

I would personally like to see Ken Dorsey as the next HC. I can’t think of a better situation than Josh Allen’s QB coach🤷‍♂️ If he declares for the draft…

That makes sense. I kind of feel like the OC really developed Allen (HC for the Giants now) and Dorsey might lean too much on QB runs. 

• Pie 1

46 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

It's just lazy analytics.  Is Hurts like Jones, Tua, or Young?  Is the current Clemson QB anything like Lawrence?  Be better people.

I wouldn’t say it is lazy. Any Mike Leech offense will have great numbers. Any Ohio State offense will have great numbers. You should always look at those two offenses with some skepticism in terms of the numbers produced by the QB. It also doesn’t mean the QB automatically isn’t great. It just takes more analysis than some other teams.

27 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I may be wrong but I felt Fields was more athletic and more dynamic with his legs. Could be wrong - havent seen as much Stroud as I did Fields just due to moving to another country lol. Stroud is / seems better throwing the ball though.

I still think Fields has a shot of being great though.

Yea Fields was better at running, Stroud is quick within the pocket and good at evading the rush but he’s not going to get many rushing yards.  Fields was much better at that

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, RJK said:

Dark horse for me is Anthony Richardson. Big time athlete, might be there if the panthers win a few more games. He’s raw but worth the risk if they miss out on stroud. 

Same. He’s raw but he shows flashes of superstar potential 

If you just focus on his lower half on all his throws you can guess which ones are complete vs incomplete most of the time.

When his footwork is good he looks amazing. The kid just needs reps I think. Which is why I could see him staying another year but if Trey Lance can go 3rd overall there’s no reason why Richardson can’t go in the 1st round 

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Martin said:

I wouldn’t say it is lazy. Any Mike Leech offense will have great numbers. Any Ohio State offense will have great numbers. You should always look at those two offenses with some skepticism in terms of the numbers produced by the QB. It also doesn’t mean the QB automatically isn’t great. It just takes more analysis than some other teams.

It’s absolutely lazy. There’s not much similar between Fields and Stroud other than where they attend/ed the same college. Comparing them is lazy. Just looking at numbers is lazy. If you watch them play it’s pretty readily apparent their games aren’t similar at all.

Fields was a strong arm, one read, athletic QB. He could still be good in the NFL, but he has a lot more to learn than Stroud will. Stroud had a strong enough arm, probably less strong than Fields, but great accuracy and touch and he throws well on the run to either direction too. Stroud makes full field reads, goes through all his progressions when needed. He also processes quicker (I won’t call him elite at processing speed, but very good and better than most QBs I’ve seen come out the past few years). He’s shifty in the pocket but not a runner like Fields. They’re totally different QBs. 

Besides, the talent around his this year doesn’t seem leaps and bounds above the other teams like last year and past years. Harrison Jr and Smith-something are solid but don’t scream high picks to me like Olave and Wilson, their RB seems ok and their OL seems below average. They were ***** up all over the place vs Iowa.  When I watched Fields videos a couple years ago I kept coming away from videos saying “man, that Olave kid looks really good”, not “Fields looks really good.”  And I don’t follow college football beyond scouting potential Panthers, so I didn’t know anything about Olave at all before watching Fields videos. I watch Stroud videos and over and over it’s “man he put that right on the money for his WR to make a play”. 

• Pie 2

49 minutes ago, Martin said:

It’s a different offense that the OSU QBs of the past. Ryan Day runs a different one than Tressel did. He is actually running a different one for Stroud that doesn’t let him run like Fields was encouraged to. Alabama is another example that’s not going to even have the same OC every year.
Texas Tech ran the air raid offense and people overlooked the numbers/stats until a great prospect like Mahomes came around. Stroud is getting recognized because of what he can do with the ball. He can throw every pass through all the layers of the defense and has the size and release you want in a prospect. Playing at OSU doesn’t somehow negate that…

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

It’s a different offense that the OSU QBs of the past. Ryan Day runs a different one than Tressel did. He is actually running a different one for Stroud that doesn’t let him run like Fields was encouraged to. Alabama is another example that’s not going to even have the same OC every year.
Texas Tech ran the air raid offense and people overlooked the numbers/stats until a great prospect like Mahomes came around. Stroud is getting recognized because of what he can do with the ball. He can throw every pass through all the layers of the defense and has the size and release you want in a prospect. Playing at OSU doesn’t somehow negate that…

I’m not saying playing at Ohio State negates what he can do. But 3/4 of the time he doesn’t go passed his first read, Harrison Jr would be the #1 WR in this years draft if he could enter (according to Brugler) etc. so you have to go way beyond the numbers to evaluate him and it takes a lot of projecting of what he potentially could become. Just saying he completes 75% of his passes and throws 45 TDs isn’t worth as much in that offense. And I’m not saying you say that, but that is what I see a lot of people cling on to. That is what I think is lazy.

2 minutes ago, Martin said:

I’m not saying playing at Ohio State negates what he can do. But 3/4 of the time he doesn’t go passed his first read, Harrison Jr would be the #1 WR in this years draft if he could enter (according to Brugler) etc. so you have to go way beyond the numbers to evaluate him and it takes a lot of projecting of what he potentially could become. Just saying he completes 75% of his passes and throws 45 TDs isn’t worth as much in that offense. And I’m not saying you say that, but that is what I see a lot of people cling on to. That is what I think is lazy.

I get that. Stats without context are useless. I also think writing off players just because of their school and nothing else is lazy. See Burrow, Herbert, Mahomes, etc… The fact of the matter is there is no QB University for the NFL because it’s such a hard position to excel at. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1