• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why I feel Wilks needs another season to win his job.

Snake

You either retain him as the guy of choice based on what you see this season (doesn't have to be wins per se, just solid ongoing progress like the offense showed in Atlanta) or you move on and select a coach. There can't be a 2-season 'tryout'. 

Edited by KSpan

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

That was a rumor started in here and I think the only link we saw was a fluff piece from a month ago on Wilks when he was made the interim coach. Arizona was drafting a QB so I’m sure he said good things about every QB. Look at Rhule and this class. We said nice things about Willis, Pickett and more.

The Bills traded up past Arizona on draft day to get Allen. He was available if they really wanted him. Heck Lamar was available when they went Rosen.

Lately, there’s been a lot of people who would have drafted Allen. Rosen failed miserably and Allen was incredibly raw so very doubtful he would have done anything, maybe wouldn’t be close to what he is now in a different situation.

Personally, I’d like an offensive kind as well and an OC/QB coach that truly can develop a rookie QB. Some of the hot candidates in recent years haven’t really panned out so we need a little luck as well. I don’t think Wilks gets us anywhere near a SB win. I do think we’ll probably be well out of the running for the top 2 QBs because we have two 5-3 teams left on our schedule and then no one as above .500. Only Atlanta has an easier SOS than us and we’re still 2-6. Cincinnati without Chase looked really beatable but then again Cleveland is running the ball more and looks much better. We almost beat then solely because they didn’t run the ball.

It's part of the lawsuit with Flores...

So unless you think Wilks is prepared to perjure himself in court, it sounds like the claim is pretty credible.

Also, fairly certain Mike Garafplo isn't a member of The Huddle so the notion that it's "a rumor that started in here" is kinda silly.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • The D 1

We are far too early in this to fully judge Steve Wilks as a head coach. 

What he has done, though, is jump into the middle of a burning building and started pulling people out of harm's way. The building is still on fire, there are valuables still inside and this isn't the time to start saying he's got this.

Let's let the man work. He seems to be doing all the right things, but he's got a mighty, mighty task before him.

On a personal note, I like him and have a growing confidence in him. The team is playing very much like they believe in him. And we do seem to be playing without handcuffs on. If he can turn this into wins... but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 4

4 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

We are far too early in this to fully judge Steve Wilks as a head coach. 

What he has done, though, is jump into the middle of a burning building and started pulling people out of harm's way. The building is still on fire, there are valuables still inside and this isn't the time to start saying he's got this.

Let's let the man work. He seems to be doing all the right things, but he's got a mighty, mighty task before him.

On a personal note, I like him and have a growing confidence in him. The team is playing very much like they believe in him. And we do seem to be playing without handcuffs on. If he can turn this into wins... but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I really don't think you can judge him off wins. This team really can't beat any team that isn't terrible because as you said the building is on fire. Still how they play and individual performance is a big key to how he can win. I mean in ATL he had them in position to win. We just had a journeyman kicker to lean on. 

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

I feel the same way, and my biggest fear is ousting Wilks to hire some coach like McDaniels that puts us right back in the gutter.  We would all like some genius offensive coach to come in and win Super Bowls, but the chances of that happening are pretty slim.  Especially if Tepper is the one making that hiring decision.

If Wilks shows he can coach, I lean towards giving him a shot.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I feel the same way, and my biggest fear is ousting Wilks to hire some coach like McDaniels that puts us right back in the gutter.  We would all like some genius offensive coach to come in and win Super Bowls, but the chances of that happening are pretty slim.  Especially if Tepper is the one making that hiring decision.

Pick any coach on Dallas or Philly's roster and they would be better than wilks. That's not a knock on him it's just how good they have been. But if all of them pass on us then he's definitely my favorite. I don't like the Eric Bellamys and the Raheem Morris of the NFL. I think Wilks would be much better than those two. 

13 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Or we get the other McDaniels 

9 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Same, I'd much rather Wilks handle the culture stuff and practice routines etc and just invest in the right OC. I like that he's rolling with the hot hands on Offense and not tinkering with the things that are working. I'd also like to see a relatively healthy secondary once Chinn comes back to see Al Holcombs true potential as DC.