• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

That motion sweep pass to Shenault

electro's horse

43 minutes ago, top dawg said:

They limit what PJ can do, because they're scared he is going to throw a pick, rightly or wrongly. It's a catch-22. At least I hope that's why they're calling so many passes behind the line. I just can't condone that type of play calling because it's too damned elementary, and teams worth a damn will make you pay. Hopefully it's just a P.J. thing, but I have my suspicions.

Considering how many near INT's he had from throwing directly at a defender I would say that gameplan was obvious. Works against bad teams but when you go up against an offense with a real franchise QB it's night night.

19 minutes ago, Growl said:

that dude is the panthers cordarrelle patterson, they need to not bother trying to turn him into Marvin Harrison and open TC next season working him on kicks, punts, RB, etc etc etc

We really don't use him like a conventional receiver at all.  He's basically used almost exclusively on swing passes; hell, his touchdown was considered a run because it was thrown behind the line of scrimmage which is emblematic of how he's used lol.

49 minutes ago, top dawg said:

They limit what PJ can do, because they're scared he is going to throw a pick, rightly or wrongly. It's a catch-22. At least I hope that's why they're calling so many passes behind the line. I just can't condone that type of play calling because it's too damned elementary, and teams worth a damn will make you pay. Hopefully it's just a P.J. thing, but I have my suspicions.

Yeah I thought it was ironic that we were all complaining in PJ's first start against the Rams how Wilks didn't even try to go for points with a minute left in the 1st half and 3 timeouts.  Then the following week against the Falcons, we were essentially in the same position with a minute left in the 1st half and we did try for points but PJ threw that pick-six which was a gamechanger.  Even though I still think you try for the points in that situation 10/10 times and I think that pick-six was more of an amazing play by the defender rather than a poor decision by PJ...it still almost validated Wilks' restraint and hesitation when it comes to PJ.

1 hour ago, electro's horse said:

Well he scored a TD on it last night. 

Then the falcons keyed in on it. 

they want to get Shenault the ball with a head of steam but they’re pretty limited by what PJ can do, unfortunately. 

this. if everyone remembers, Shenault scored his first TD a few weeks ago off this play, then again off it last night. that's why they kept going back to it, I guess of the 5 or 6 times they've done it, 2 of which have been breakaway TD's. He is a big boy to bring down full speed and tacklers don't want any part of it.

6 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I don’t know why he’s still starting aside from Mayfield’s trade draft pick. We are damn lucky Atlanta dropped the interceptions. The first one would have taken away the FG and the last one would have tied the game (because of Kip’s miss). The last one was so far behind DJ even without him seeing the DB and is a throw you can’t make up 7 with so little time left. Thank goodness Mariota was even worse.

You'd have to assume if we arent intentionaly tanking ... he isnt starting the next game.

7 minutes ago, stbugs said:

It’s hard to figure out. That dropped interception at the end was mind boggling to watch but maybe the Falcons are deciding they need a new Mariota as well! 

Panthers head coach Steve Wilks said he expects P.J. Walker to start in Week 11 against the Ravens. 

Walker "led" the Panthers to a Week 10 win over the Falcons with 108 yards on 16 pass attempts in another massively run heavy game plan for Carolina. The Panther ran roughshod over the Falcons for 232 yards and two scores in an ugly Thursday night victory. Walker has been mostly terrible as Carolina's starter this season but remains an upgrade over Baker Mayfield, the NFL's worst quarterback, according to EPA. Walker should only be rostered in deeper superflex leagues. 

Yeah, saying Walker "led" the Panthers to a win is stretching it.  Mostly, he didn't give the game away, but he tried.  As has been talked about, he hit two defenders in the hands, one of which may have been returned for a TD had it been caught. 

His limit is the short passes they are running with him and hail Mary's/bombs, that even if they are picked should not result in points against us.  That is why I have never thought he was viable backup, either.

5 hours ago, top dawg said:

Kansas City has won a ton of games on dumpoffs , screens and swing passes. No one thinks Mahomes is being held back. Sometimes simple is great.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, Pakmeng said:

Walker's average intended air yards are higher than Lawrence, Hurts, Mahomes, Rogers, Brady, Burrow, Cousins, Herbert, Murray, Stafford....among others who aren't worth mentioning.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-intended-yards

That's fine, but a little deceiving. He hasn't passed as nearly as much as most of them. But completing those passes is the most important, without INTs I might add. 

20 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Kansas City has won a ton of games on dumpoffs , screens and swing passes. No one thinks Mahomes is being held back. Sometimes simple is great.

Sure, it works against some teams, but won't against others. I'm all for limiting Walker's potential screwups; I just think that when you're playing the league'sbworat passing defense, there's probably a way to get a more decisive victory. I can't really fault Wilks for his game plan, but I'm still skeptical that it would work against superior competition.

14 minutes ago, top dawg said:

That's fine, but a little deceiving. He hasn't passed as nearly as much as most of them. But completing those passes is the most important, without INTs I might add. 

Sure, it works against some teams, but won't against others. I'm all for limiting Walker's potential screwups; I just think that when you're playing the league'sbworat passing defense, there's probably a way to get a more decisive victory. I can't really fault Wilks for his game plan, but I'm still skeptical that it would work against superior competition.

I agree that Walker is very inconsistent. One pass he threads between 2 defenders and other times you want to know who in the heck was he throwing to. Wilks tends to be conservative and wants to limit mistakes most of all. So he is limiting what PJ is allowed to do to keep the mistakes down.