• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Other NFL Games Thread

kungfoodude

12 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I am not sure I would put the Steelers in the "highly unlikely" category. The Broncos are unlikely but it is possible that they make a tectonic shift in direction if they jettison Hackett, as well.

At most they scapegoat hackett and run russ again with new staff in hope that something changes and they don’t look dumb for the money they spent. 

(Opinion) i think steelers stick with pickett.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, CarolinaLivin said:

At most they scapegoat hackett and run russ again with new staff in hope that something changes and they don’t look dumb for the money they spent. 

(Opinion) i think steelers stick with pickett.

It's not just the money but the draft capital they gave up as well.  They are basically stuck with Wilson in the short term.  I would be shocked to see them move on from Russ this offseason barring him retiring.

• Pie 2

Let's not forget that just because a team is not looking to draft a QB, they often trade with those who are for a haul. 

As of this morning, the teams ahead of us that are likely sniffing at QBs are Houston, Detroit (Rams pick), and Seattle (Broncos pick).  That leaves Chicago who does not have another pick until late int he second round (Steelers own their 2nd round pick, they own the Ravens 2nd rounder).  Da Bears have a lot of needs outside of QB. 

• Pie 2

16 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

It's not just the money but the draft capital they gave up as well.  They are basically stuck with Wilson in the short term.  I would be shocked to see them move on from Russ this offseason barring him retiring.

The Broncos are completely fuged for the next several years if they can't get Wilson fixed.

• Pie 4

The irony of Seattle needing to look at QBs and owning Denver's first round pick, while Denver still needs to look at QBs despite trading a small farm to the Seahawks and committing three Brink's trucks to Wilson is a lesson in "don't let this happen to you."

Wilson's dead cap looks like the national debt through 2024 and is still pretty steep in 2025.  His contract is in that no-man's-land where he costs a fortune to keep and almost as much or more through then.   They are locked into him for a while.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

18 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

They really don't have a reasonable way out til 2025 and that would still be over $30M in dead cap that year 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

The irony of Seattle needing to look at QBs and owning Denver's first round pick, while Denver still needs to look at QBs despite trading a small farm to the Seahawks and committing three Brink's trucks to Wilson is a lesson in "don't let this happen to you."

Wilson's dead cap looks like the national debt through 2024 and is still pretty steep in 2025.  His contract is in that no-man's-land where he costs a fortune to keep and almost as much or more through then.   They are locked into him for a while.

That's why I don't want us to trade a haul for any QB and guarantee them a big contract.  If anything goes wrong with that player, your team is completely screwed for years.  We could be saying the same thing about the Browns in a couple months.

Edited by PNW_PantherMan
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

That's why I don't want us to trade a haul for any QB and guarantee them a big contract.  If anything goes wrong with that player, your team is completely screwed for years.  We could be saying the same thing about the Browns in a couple months.

It is quite possible.  While Denver's options with Wilson look awful, it looks like a picture of "fiscal responsibility" compared to the Browns if Watson does not take them to the promised land.  Denver has the added concern of Wilson's age and the possibility that he may just not have it anymore, but that aside, if Watson is not the second coming, the Browns are up against it for several years.  His dead cap could just about exceed the salary cap.