• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers WR DJ Moore: Players have spoken with David Tepper about stadium turf

TheSpecialJuan

30 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Every stadium's turf is different, from the actual material they use to how it reacts to climate. Also practicing on grass and then playing on turf is an issue. Muscle memory doesn't translate, you can plant and cut one way on grass then try it on turf and hurt yourself

So indoor turf is better than outdoor turf? Also, should we be practicing on turf to reduce injuries?

6 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

If they play on turf, it should be the same turf for every scenario so their bodies can acclimate. Next question

So we should be picking the same for both the practice field and stadium field. I still like grass for the tradition. Football should be on grass. If Tepper wanted turf, he shouldve made our practice field turf. If I had my way, every stadium would be grass, even the indoor stadiums. Football wasnt born on artificial turf.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

So we should be picking the same for both the practice field and stadium field. I still like grass for the tradition. Football should be on grass. If Tepper wanted turf, he shouldve made our practice field turf. If I had my way, every stadium would be grass, even the indoor stadiums. Football wasnt born on artificial turf.

It should all be grass, Arizona literally has a grass field in the desert that is on wheels. Where there is a will there is a way

• Pie 4

I'm not gonna get into a petty argument over TSE and what not...but there is a sorta correlation

CHEAPER TURF IS BAD

Tepper invested in a turf that passed league tests on the first try...most places take three tries.

There are stadiums that are known for bad injuries such as NFG in Houston (Where CMC and Horn were injured non contact). Its about the quality and not the turf vs non turf)

The high ankle crap we are dealing with are physical injurers not non-contact.

Edited by Panthercougar68

Some additional commentary from Joe Person in The Athletic...

Most players were diplomatic after the change was made before last season, although Shaq Thompson took to Twitter to voice his displeasure.

“I was one of the first ones to say something when they brought the (turf) in for the soccer team. I felt like that’s when everything should have really just started (being discussed),” Thompson said Monday. “I’m not saying just because I did it. But that’s when everybody should have really just hopped on board with it.”

Panthers receiver DJ Moore said he and other veteran players met with Tepper during training camp this year and again during the season to let the hedge fund manager worth $18.5 billion know they preferred to play on grass.

“We brought it up a few times. But at the end of the day, he made the last call,” Moore said. “So we can only put our input in, and hopefully he hears. He usually does hear us out on things.”

Moore said the BoA surface is not as bad as some of the other synthetic playing surfaces across the league. The Panthers have a hybrid surface that combines monofilament fibers with slit-film fibers, different from the entire slit-film turf the NFLPA is targeting.

But Panthers offensive lineman Austin Corbett said all artificial surfaces are tougher on players’ bodies compared to grass. And it’s not just the players who suffer, according to Corbett.

“You can talk to coaches, trainers, other staff that are just standing on the turf for the whole game, and their joints are feeling it after the game,” said Corbett, the Panthers’ union representative. “It’s just harder. There’s not as much cushion.”

The Panthers declined to make Tepper available for comment Monday, although a team spokesperson pointed out that the Panthers hold training camp on grass practice fields at Wofford and practice most days in Charlotte on grass.

Panthers players join growing chorus speaking out against turf 

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, DJ feed me moore said:

we would play better if less of our players got hurt you bozo.

Yea cause we've always been super healthy and good before we put the turf in.. lmao NO get a grip son we are always hurt maybe its because our head athletic trainer got busted for giving players illegal drugs