• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Article: Matt Rhule suddenly is everywhere - May not be getting the attention he expected

WarPanthers89

Like Punxsutawney Phil, former Panthers coach Matt Rhule spent six weeks in purgatory after being asked to take his shadow, and the rest of his body, back home.

Now, all of a sudden, Rhule is everywhere. Talking and writing about football in an extensive and apparently concerted effort to get his name out there. Just as college football season is winding to a conclusion.

When Panthers owner David Tepper fired Rhule, the thinking was that, by getting Rhule on the market quickly for a head-coaching job, he’d be in a better position to reduce his buyout by lining up a prime college job. Apparently, Rhule isn’t getting the response he’d expected.

Why else would he be launching an all-out media tour? He’s banging the drum. He’s waving the flag. He’s trying to get some attention at a time when college programs are compiling their wish lists.

As one astute observer has noted, Rhule thought he’d get the Nebraska or Wisconsin job. Now, he may be left with Arizona State. Or maybe West Virginia, if the folks 30 miles up the road from me dig deep to pay the balance the amounts due and owing to a head coach who clearly needs to go.

Rhule has shown that he can turn college programs around, quickly. Of course, if he takes anything other than a first-tier job as he rebounds from failing in the NFL, he’ll undoubtedly be looking to turn another team around — and then high-tail it to a bigger job.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/11/22/matt-rhule-suddenly-is-everywhere/

53CE4DC0-CC00-476A-9AA9-8A6001756B27.jpeg

0B330F68-4F84-4976-8EAC-62D36441EF65.jpeg

Edited by WarPanthers89
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 4

35 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I dont care how great of a "culture builder" you are at the college level, when you go up to the NFL and expose yourself as the buffoon that Rhule just did when it comes to actual coaching, it hurt your reputation, PERIOD.  

His stint here and getting exposed to the degree he did also brought more attention back to what exactly he has accomplished and where, and shining that light brighter on those situations has made them seem not quite as impressive as they once were.

Rhule was a total and complete failure at the NFL level but I do think his skills translate to college. I think the biggest reason he isn’t getting attention is the contract buyout. 

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

He wasn't an X and O guy.  Not a good game manager.  Not even a players coach and people manager.  He was basically a generic slogan guy that liked to micromanage from his office.    

Pretty much.

That kinda guy can succeed in college but it's way harder at the pro level.

Edited by Mr. Scot

36 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Pretty much.

That kinda guy can succeed in college but it's way harder at the pro level.

It's hard in college to actually succeed that way though.  Which is why Rhule really didn't do much of anything in college either.   His college resume was wildly overblown.  Still is.  I think people are rethinking that.  

Because in reality, all he did was win 1 conference title at Temple.  That's it.   That's not a great college resume. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

25 minutes ago, CRA said:

I still find in interesting Rhule claimed his regret was not getting to know his players until year 3 in Carolina.  Which you can follow back to odd comments about sitting down with Sam Darnold for the first time halfway through a season and stuff like that.  I suspect that is what he always has really been. 

He wasn't an X and O guy.  Not a good game manager.  Not even a players coach and people manager.  He was basically a generic slogan guy that liked to micromanage from his office.    

Totally agree. He did not do well in any area of the team. We had no identity and I cannot think of a single thing we excelled at during his tenure. What was he known for in college? He’s not an offensive coach,  and I don’t remember people saying he was a defensive guy either it was really just Snow 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

I'm not all that impressed with his work even at that level. Exposed is an understatement. That guy should put on a suit and go into sales. Snow should get the HC gig and hire Rhule to run his brand. 

I am embarrassed he coached our team.  Everyone can see what a fraud he is.  He comes across as incompetent in these interviews, someone who talks a lot without saying much and clearly doesn’t know how to coach at the NFL level

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

As a snake oil salesman, he probably realizes his snake oil is not going to get more appealing with time.  The longer he is out, the less his prospects will be.

His successes were places with low expectations.  Temple is not synonymous with football excellence, and Baylor was fresh off a major scandal that crippled the program.  His best year here was his first, with a team that had no expectations and little talent.  As soon as the expectations started to rise, he wilted.

If you are an AD in a big program with historical success and aspirations of regaining it, you have to wonder how he will do when there are expectations.  Who knows, that may have been the breaking point with Nebraska.  Had he been able to turn them around, it would not have taken long for the question of "why can't we beat Ohio State, Michigan, or Penn State" to become a chorus.  There is nothing in his record about producing wins against top teams.

You'd also have to be concerned that the longest the snake oil wagon has been in any town is three years.  While that might just go with the territory of being a "rising star," it does beg the question about whether he can sustain success once he turns a program around. 

Arizona State and Colorado are much better fits among the larger schools.  Neither has won much of anything in several years, so expectations are not going to be a problem.  They both have recruiting challenges, which is tailor-made for the snake oil wagon which sells its wares well to 17-year-olds.

None of those questions will get better with age.

• Pie 3