• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All the fans that want to tank, you guys are all in on Stroud?

GoobyPls

2 hours ago, d-dave said:

There's still a lot to go over when scouting these QBs.  Right now, I have to ask "who is the gamer?"  Who is the player who can make plays out of structure when your team needs you?  Is there an alpha dog who can put a team on his back and will them to victory?

I see Bryce Young....and no one else.  But Young is also small which won't work out well for him when he starts getting flattened by 300lb NFL DLs.

Stroud absolutely passes the eyeball test and the stat sheet test, but does he have the will to carry his team?  Think about Jake Delhomme.  Far from a good athlete, Jake elevated his team, put them on his back in the 4th quarter, and willed them to wins.  Cam - how many times in the pros and college did Cam carry a team to victory?  

Then again, what do I know?  I'm just an idiot with a keyboard.  There's still a lot that of scouting that pros need to do, and then it's not up to me.

So I'm all for the wins.  They are more fun right now!

I think its very fair to say that in order to be a successful QB in the modern NFL you have to be able to create out of structure. You don't need to be Cam Newton but you have to be mobile enough to create passing lanes. Brady is the only good QB I can think of that somewhat defies this but his pocket prescence is great.

that's what concerns me about stroud (and I'm a fan). he doesn't seem to do well when things break down

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

52 minutes ago, Captroop said:

This is a terrible argument.

You're talking about two brothers who were drafted 2 decades ago, and a guy who only won a Super Bowl as a *GASP* re-tread QB for another team. If you're making an argument in favor of #1 QBs, I think Stafford is the worst example you can cite. A decade of doing nothing for the team that drafted him, and winning the Super Bowl for someone else. That's pretty much exactly what I don't want to happen.

And technically, Eli never won a super bowl for the team that drafted him at #1 either (Chargers). If you're holding up Eli Manning, you're really making a case for trading multiple first round picks for a franchise QB.

Just a terrible, terrible argument you've made.

I think you just read something that I didn't write, maybe try to read more slowly? All I did was point out the poster's error in missing 5 super bowl appearances by QBs drafted #1 or 2 for the scenario he created to insinuate there's some disease that prevents QBs that were drafted that high from winning superbowls. 

Edited by X-Clown

As former Jets head coach Herman Edwards famously said, “You play to win the game!”

Oftentimes, fans may not agree with this strategy. However, any fan who genuinely wants their team to lose games on purpose is coming from a place of ignorance. They just haven’t thought the entire scenario through.

How disrespectful would it be if a team were to show up to a packed stadium full of loyal, excited fans, with most of them having paid the price of a small vacation to attend, only to see their beloved franchise play like a team completely uninterested in winning. That would be shameful and embarrassing for everyone involved.

So, to those out there wishing for the Panthers to "Suck for the Duck," or any of that nonsense, just be careful of what you wish for.

Edited by KatsAzz

2 hours ago, KatsAzz said:

As former Jets head coach Herman Edwards famously said, “You play to win the game!”

Oftentimes, fans may not agree with this strategy. However, any fan who genuinely wants their team to lose games on purpose is coming from a place of ignorance. They just haven’t thought the entire scenario through.

How disrespectful would it be if a team were to show up to a packed stadium full of loyal, excited fans, with most of them having paid the price of a small vacation to attend, only to see their beloved franchise play like a team completely uninterested in winning. That would be shameful and embarrassing for everyone involved.

So, to those out there wishing for the Panthers to "Suck for the Duck," or any of that nonsense, just be careful of what you wish for.

It’s not the players who tank. But for the record, we have say through a lot of Carolina football where the team doesn’t seem interested in winning. 

5 hours ago, X-Clown said:

It's the same idea - you're saying to scout schools rather than players. Aaron Rodgers is a perfect example, most of his fall on draft day was because he was viewed as a product of Jeff Tedford's system who was known for having QBs that put up video game numbers in college then sucked in the pros. I hope our scouts do a little more due dilligence then simplifying it to your level.

I’m taking into account everything. When it comes to OSU QBs all you can really off of is measurables, they have biggest talent gap between a single teams in any conference. Ohio state has more 5 and 4 stars than every team in the big 10 combined, they also play the most QB friendly system outside of OU. 

2 minutes ago, Martin said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Stroud experiencing the same type of “fall” Fields did and be available in the 10-15 range. Could be great value at that spot.

If he’s there around 10-15 you snag him and get excited about the next 10 years. 

• Pie 2

5 hours ago, Varking said:

It’s not the players who tank. But for the record, we have say through a lot of Carolina football where the team doesn’t seem interested in winning. 

I believe that the seemingly lack of concern is often caused by coaches that have a constant  bad game plans. The players know these game plans are bad and don't buy into them completely.

Plus, not all coaches have been good motivators, not having the ability to keep players  on the needed  high level, giving it their all.

On 11/28/2022 at 7:28 PM, X-Clown said:

Those guys all played in super bowls in 2010 or after and were drafted #1 or 2 overall which is what he said. Guess we need to move the goalposts further away my guy.

Yea - I'll fall on my sword - I meant for that to say "Drafted #1 or #2 since 2010".  As I had mentioned in another topic - again, my bad for not being clear.

Edited by Davis83
  • Pie 1