• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Championship Week

Catsfan69

5 hours ago, 45catfan said:

I'm still on the McCall bandwagon big time.  As bad as CCU got beat yesterday, McCall was the only bright spot.  He accounted for all 4 of their TDs and threw his only pick (2nd of the ENTIRE season) forcing a play on the last drive of the game to keep the score respectable.

Their defense was trash (gave up 31 first half points) and he was trying to will his team to an impossible comeback.  Dude was fiery on the sidelines while the rest of the team looked demoralized and already defeated.

He's got good size and the TD/INT ratio has been really good consistently for 3 years. That offensive scheme makes it really hard to gauge what he's actually capable of, at least from the one game I actually watched. It's like High School ball over there

9 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

He's got good size and the TD/INT ratio has been really good consistently for 3 years. That offensive scheme makes it really hard to gauge what he's actually capable of, at least from the one game I actually watched. It's like High School ball over there

TD/INT ratio is not good for McCall, it's freaking great!  Dude, it's 10:1 for his carrer!  Heck, most dudes around here drool over QBs with a 3:1 ratio.  If not for the blow out in that Troy game (zero defense from CCU) and him trying to force that last second TD (completely out of character to force a throw), it would be 24:1 this season, but alas, 12:1.

Anyway, yes CCU runs a version of the triple option.  Here's what I like about it. McCall is extremely good at play action and is athletic enough to keep the ball himself...even has a little wiggle.  Not often can a QB juke LBs and DBs, but he can do it.  He has 16 rushing TDs in his career.

What I don't like about the the offense he ran is he didn't often have to go past his first read.  He can and has, but usually the play action gave his first read single coverage and he's good enough to hit that guy unless completely blanketed.

I'd like to see how he looks in a an All-Star game in a pro style offense.  See how he handles pressure when there's no window dressing to confuse the defense and sit back in shotgun, read the defense and go through his progressions.   CCU did some of this in 3rd and long situations and McCall still seemed to play at a high level.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, 45catfan said:

TD/INT ratio is not good for McCall, it's freaking great!  Dude, it's 10:1 for his carrer!  Heck, most dudes around here drool over QBs with a 3:1 ratio.  If not for the blow out in that Troy game (zero defense from CCU) and him trying to force that last second TD (completely out of character to force a throw), it would be 24:1 this season, but alas, 12:1.

Anyway, yes CCU runs a version of the triple option.  Here's what I like about it. McCall is extremely good at play action and is athletic enough to keep the ball himself...even has a little wiggle.  Not often can a QB juke LBs and DBs, but he can do it.  He has 16 rushing TDs in his career.

What I don't like about the the offense he ran is he didn't often have to go past his first read.  He can and has, but usually the play action gave his first read single coverage and he's good enough to hit that guy unless completely blanketed.

I'd like to see how he looks in a an All-Star game in a pro style offense.  See how he handles pressure when there's no window dressing to confuse the defense and sit back in shotgun, read the defense and go through his progressions.   CCU did some of this in 3rd and long situations and McCall still seemed to play at a high level.

Not entirely sure he comes out. Some were speculating that he could follow Chadwell to Liberty but it actually looks like he’s sold on Tim Beck and may go back to Coastal. I haven’t seen anything to suggest that he’s for sure declaring for the draft.

16 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

As a Clemson fan: thank goodness

While he didn't have quite the weapons his predecessors have had this season, he just never seemed to put it all together consistently.

Really hope that Dabo starts recruiting an OL.

25 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Not entirely sure he comes out. Some were speculating that he could follow Chadwell to Liberty but it actually looks like he’s sold on Tim Beck and may go back to Coastal. I haven’t seen anything to suggest that he’s for sure declaring for the draft.

Me neither, but it's just an assumption that since his HC is leaving, that he may jump ship. McCall really has nothing more to prove.  He already owns most, if not all, the QB records there.  The only reason I think he stays is to finish up college and stay with his team...while padding his records.

I seriously doubt he transfers to Liberty.  Chadwell will try like hell to make it happen though.  McCall got him that job.

2 hours ago, CRA said:

Dang.  Prime Time's first meeting is telling the entire team to hit the portal.  That they trash and he bringing in his own luggage lol. 

If you watch the entire speech it isn’t as bad as that clip suggest. I think they posted that part just for the drama 

22 minutes ago, Icege said:

While he didn't have quite the weapons his predecessors have had this season, he just never seemed to put it all together consistently.

But why?  He was the #1 QB in the country coming out of HS.  I have some thoughts, but nothing definitive.  Clemson gets top 10, usually top 5 recruiting classes so the talent is falling off.

• Pie 1

26 minutes ago, Icege said:

I'm more worried about the DL than OL

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

But why?  He was the #1 QB in the country coming out of HS.  I have some thoughts, but nothing definitive.  Clemson gets top 10, usually top 5 recruiting classes so the talent is falling off.

Cade was the #1 QB in the country coming out of HS too though.   Clemson has him.  Clemson is also adding the #6 QB this upcoming season to be behind Cade.   Not sure why DJ leaving is an argument the talent is falling off.   

DJU was horrible.  Just a physically talented kid that isn't actually good at playing QB. 

2022 class was top 10.  Clemson's 2023 class is presently rated as the #8.   

• Pie 1