• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Person looks at Mayfield, Rhule and "revisionist history"

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, BrianS said:

Baker wasn't good here.  In fact, he was at his all time worst.  He has to own that.

Rhule did not put Baker into an offense tailored to his skill set.  He - along with his "rockstar" OC - has to own that.

Our offense has been historically awful since the start of the Rhule era.  Is it QB?  Is it coach?  I'd say it was both.  Trying to place full blame on either is pointless.

reality is...

Sam Darnold's worst season of a bad career was in Carolina

Baker Mayfield's worst season of a disappointing career was in Carolina

I mean, we like to blame them for sucking.  And they do.  But we made them extra horrible IMO

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

well in theory it shouldn't happen only because of that..... 

I'd equate it to dating someone.  They get drunk, take off their clothes and start dancing on the table at Applebees.  You probably shouldn't keep dating them.   And you shouldn't date them because that one moment.....was a red flag and foreshadowing of what will come later.  

Everyone is going to make mistakes.  Especially in the lotto that is acquiring people to play football.  That move by our GM just seems to be something different and a giant red flag.  That's not smart business and not your run of the mill error IMO. 

Ill be honest. The Darnold contract, while frustrating, was not nearly as bad as some act in the greater scheme of things. Yes it was overpaying given how it turned out, but we weren't going to use that extra money this year if he didn't work out to suddenly barrel into the playoffs.  I think Fitt knew Rhule was getting a third year, and knew Rhules future basically hinged on this QB working out. If not, he was a bridge for the future one way or another. Which he's turning into now, lol.

You rotate that many quarterbacks and all that would have happpened is a “bust” at drafting a quarterback. Matt Jones would have looked like David Carr or Pickles.

too much is put on the right player but it’s the right coach and system plugging players in and adjusting them to what they do.

Rhule was a turd.

26 minutes ago, CRA said:

well in theory it shouldn't happen only because of that..... 

I'd equate it to dating someone.  They get drunk, take off their clothes and start dancing on the table at Applebees.  You probably shouldn't keep dating them.   And you shouldn't date them because that one moment.....was a red flag and foreshadowing of what will come later.  

Everyone is going to make mistakes.  Especially in the lotto that is acquiring people to play football.  That move by our GM just seems to be something different and a giant red flag.  That's not smart business and not your run of the mill error IMO. 

That particular illustration would work a lot better with Scot McCloughan than Scott Fitterer.

• Pie 1

27 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Ill be honest. The Darnold contract, while frustrating, was not nearly as bad as some act in the greater scheme of things. Yes it was overpaying given how it turned out, but we weren't going to use that extra money this year if he didn't work out to suddenly barrel into the playoffs.  I think Fitt knew Rhule was getting a third year, and knew Rhules future basically hinged on this QB working out. If not, he was a bridge for the future one way or another. Which he's turning into now, lol.

Then you roll it over. It’s gone for a backup QB,at best. There’s no “it’s not that bad” about handing out 19M that you get almost nothing for. 

And they picked up the option before Rhule’s 2nd season. His job wasn’t at risk then at all. 

Edited by Toomers
  • Beer 2

8 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Then you roll it over. It’s gone for a backup QB,at best. There’s no “it’s not that bad” about handing out 19M that you get almost nothing for. 

And they picked up the option before Rhule’s 2nd season. His job wasn’t at risk then at all. 

His job wasn't at risk but if the Darnold trade didn't work out it seemed likely it would be IMO.

I don't think it was a good move but I also don't think it was fireable.

The winner if all of this (if there has to be one) is Sam Darnold, who gets 5 more games to showcase what he can do what many now consider a great offensive line. A lot of people wanted to see this, I don't necessarily think it affects the Panthers plans at QB in the draft, but at least it makes things somewhat interesting.

I also understand the logic that if Darnold played well but they weren't willing to commit to him very long term, then at least you could evaluate him for another year. They clearly had a lot of confidence in him, which is a consistent and stupid theme of this staff.