• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I think Wilks has been told he has the job. (Speculation)

electro's horse

I wrote this on another forum that isn’t panthers specific so pardon some of the ”no poo” observations

The lack of radical or desperate in game adjustments, that frankly the panthers don’t have the personnel or coaching to make, make me think Wilks has been told he has the job

I was at the game so some details might be off here but it’s based on what I saw from 126.  

Steelers called a perfect game to take advantage of the panthers weaknesses. On defense they played cover 1/0 and dared darnold to beat them. As I can recall he only went deep twice; one was a badly under thrown ball to Marshall, and the other was to Marshall and drew an end zone PI. 

On offense, they did what a bunch of teams have done with their run game against the panthers which is head to the outside. Panthers are bad at contain; burns struggles when the ball is run at his side, and they don’t really have a good DE opposite him.

Additionally, the panthers can’t cover wide well with their linebackers; just not a very fast group. The previous two problems are so bad I wouldn’t be upset if the panthers went LB or DE in the draft, pending what they do with coaching/qb  

to make matters worse, the Steelers feasted on the panthers fifth string DB. Keith Taylor jr should not have been single covering anyone, but I don’t think they have the personnel to make up for it. Chinn (played well yesterday) was needed in the box, and woods is garbage. Pretty clear that strategy was just to not get beat deep and hope the blitz could get trubisky. They only completed one deep pass, and that was an uncalled OPI (and a badass catch on top of that so I’m not upset)

Anyway, the panthers never panicked and changed anything. The panthers played like they understood their weaknesses and limitations, and that they aren’t changing that this year, to say nothing of halftime.

Sorta struck me as the actions of someone who’s had a conversation and been given some assurances. You’d think if Wilks was feeling like he’s gone with a loss he would have changed the game plan, limitations be damned. they would have gone for it on fourth down in the red zone, or taken more deep shots or something. And in a better situations there are definitely calls I question, but it is what it is right now. 

if another team limits turnovers and takes away our running game it’s going to be difficult for the panthers to win. The players aren’t on the roster. We play fox balls and frankly I think that’s the right move for the team right now. 

Anyway that’s my thought on the situation

• Pie 10
  • Poo 2

I think you're reading into Wilks having a bit of Rivera in him and not him having some secured feeling/assurance from Tepp.

Tepper may have had a huge miss with Rhule to start his ownership, but to make the final choice on the next coach this early, after just going through that failed experience, with how we're playing, with a guy on that failed staff, would be ridiculously stupid.  I don't think he would even think to make that decision this early even if it was an outside hire. 

Late January is usually and always the time where this happens. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

Just now, Bear Hands said:

I think you're reading into Wilks having a bit of Rivera in him and not him having some secured feeling/assurance from Tepp.

Tepper may have had a huge miss with Rhule to start his ownership, but to make the final choice on the next coach this early, after just going through that failed experience, with how we're playing, with a guy on that failed staff, would be ridiculously stupid.  I don't think he would even think to make that decision this early even if it was an outside hire. 

Late January is usually and always the time where this happens. 

What have you seen Tepper do so far that proves he's not that stupid?

I've got nothing.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 3

Thanks for sharing--I enjoy hearing the perspectives of others so much more than bitching and finger pointing--I think you could be right.

He will need a really good OC if this is true.  The third and eight QB draw was my last straw with McAdook.

Wilkes is a good guy--he commands respect and the players seem to respond to him.  If that does not equal wins yet, then I get it.

• Pie 6

Just now, thefuzz said:

What have you seen Tepper do so far that proves he's not that stupid?

I've got nothing.

I just don't classify the man as stupid, although I do think when people get THAT successful and live in that level of a wealth bubble, there seems to be a degenerative element in their decision making across the board, not just NFL owners.  There's probably some type of study on it.  

He's not some blind captain hitting every button in the cockpit.  But he's obviously making bad decisions.  

1 minute ago, Bear Hands said:

I just don't classify the man as stupid, although I do think when people get THAT successful and live in that level of a wealth bubble, there seems to be a degenerative element in their decision making across the board, not just NFL owners.  There's probably some type of study on it.  

He's not some blind captain hitting every button in the cockpit.  But he's obviously making bad decisions.  

Unfortunately, I do think he's that stupid.

He's yet to make a good football decision since he's been welcomed as the owner of the Panthers.

That's HARD to do.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, electro's horse said:

Like I said, I don’t think they have the personnel to make the adjustments. 

In another thread seasoned posters were talking about how we were outclassed, out this, and out that. I was like what are they supposed to do with this Rhule built roster and his raggedy retread QB train. Crickets..........

• Beer 3