• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The “Maybe Not So Obvious” Elephant in the Room

WarHeel

17 hours ago, Thorrez said:

The problem is not that we are not winning. It's a zero sum league and plenty of teams are on long slumps without the fans giving up.

The problem is that we are in a collage sports state where even bad teams have winning records (after being up the teams like Little U Squirrels, South Western Cook County Suburbans and Coastal Kentucky Explorers).

Or to put it bluntly. Fans are spoiled.

Have you seen the Rams stadium…or the Broncos…two old franchises…their stands are empty because they suck this year. The Rams were so concerned about the optics they were trying to figure out how to get fans into Sofi’s lower bowl   and they were the SB winners. They aren’t the only ones 

winning is all there is in pro sports.

to attend a college game is a whole lot cheaper and based on a wholly different type of loyalty 

the Panthers product is poor.  Poorly run…no stars to think of…a guy from Pittsburgh runs the team and he has no idea how to connect with the fans here.  Frankly, PSL holders don’t like him. I know. I am one. When we stop showing up, it’s a real problem and had we not stopped showing up, Rhule would still be here   That’s the flip side of PSLs

everything  that made the Panthers special is gone…even little things like the end zone were kids would wait to get footballs after touchdowns. Those have been replaced for his soccer team 

he better get this next decision right and his happy ass needs to get a QB in this draft that isn’t a failure …his franchise depends on it.   There are decent evaluators in the NFL, he needs to find one 

Edited by raleigh-panther
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I love when adults tell other adults how to spend their money and time. The team sucks. Period. When or if they become competitive on a consistent basis again, the stadium experience will improve. Until then, most people will be content not wasting hundreds to fight traffic and crowds just to watch the team lose. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

On 12/19/2022 at 12:31 PM, WarHeel said:

This fan base has a knack for throwing just about everyone under the bus at times due to poor performance in game or failure to live up to expectations, from the owner and HC all the way down to the assistant coaching staff to the players. 

While I concur that this franchise seems to bathe in mediocrity,  I have to call the BS as I see it.

I received a text yesterday from a friend of mine who is a Steelers fan who said that the Bank looked like a Pittsburg home game. 

Wilks asked one thing of this fan base heading into our game against Pitt. SHOW UP…

Unfortunately I’m out of market these days as my duty station has me 10 hours from Charlotte so it’s nearly impossible for me to attend games unless I’m visiting family for the holidays.

Which leads me to my thesis. If you are within driving distance from CLT, let alone have season tickets, and are opting to sell them to out of market fans while you sit your fat, mouth breathing ass on your couch, I really don’t want to hear the bitching about the team losing at home. 

If you have the means: Show up. Show out. Support your team. 

The Bank should always be painted Black and Blue. 

Carry on, and Keep Pounding.

Would you keep going back to a restaurant with crappy food solely because it's 'local'? No? Same premise.

22 hours ago, Mother Grabber said:

lots of people giving OP pushback for telling people not to sell the tickets. that’s not what he said. what he said was that if you sell your tickets, you are also giving up your grounds to bitch. if you give up on the team, you can’t complain about their performance. 

People glean what that wish to see. That gives them free rein to throw shade. It's like High Noon in the Old West in here. 

Edited by Gerry Green
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 2

5 hours ago, WarHeel said:

Would you continue following said restaurant on social media, blogs, discussions, while calling yourself a fan? No? Same premise.

Not at all the same since the whole premise is around spending time and money on poor product 'just because' and it costs nothing to follow along as you note, but I'll play along anyway - how else would one know if said restaurant actually made improvements and was worth trying again?

Edited by KSpan

2 hours ago, KSpan said:

Not at all the same since the whole premise is around spending time and money on poor product 'just because' and it costs nothing to follow along as you note, but I'll play along anyway - how else would one know if said restaurant actually made improvements and was worth trying again?

I think the restaurant analogy is comparing apples to oranges. But if we are doing this, I’ve tried restaurants that have blown me away and then fell off their typical quality with Covid. I had faith in the original product and tried them again a few times even after the quality dipped because I knew they were hurting for good help and that the despite quality of the product it still gave me nostalgia to eat there and supporting local trumps chain in most instances. 

9 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

I think the restaurant analogy is comparing apples to oranges. But if we are doing this, I’ve tried restaurants that have blown me away and then fell off their typical quality with Covid. I had faith in the original product and tried them again a few times even after the quality dipped because I knew they were hurting for good help and that the despite quality of the product it still gave me nostalgia to eat there and supporting local trumps chain in most instances. 

Been half a decade of this 'quality fell off' crap with the team and several years with Tepper to boot, and nostalgia eating at a restaurant doesn't cost hundreds of dollars, if not a commitment of thousands, and several hours a weekend for 4 months. You're agreeing with me even if you don't realize it.

5 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Been half a decade of this 'quality fell off' crap with the team and several years with Tepper to boot, and nostalgia eating at a restaurant doesn't cost hundreds of dollars, if not a commitment of thousands, and several hours a weekend for 4 months. You're agreeing with me even if you don't realize it.

Meme Reaction GIF

This is a team with zero back to back winning seasons and really no sustained success.  What do we expect?  This is also a melting pot city full of people from up north and other places that aren't changing their favorite team so of course they buy the tickets.  And before the Panthers, everyone was a Steelers or Washington fan here.  So it takes time for generations born here to grasp on and it takes some kind of sustained winning to build a fanbase.  Without the melting pot fans we may not have got a team in the first place.  It's simple, just win, with some consistency.   But I have been to Panthers games where fans are hyped, like the Arizona game (at least until Jake started throwing INTs).  So I think the fanbase WANTS to become like that but the team sucks it out of them.

• Beer 1