• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

YGM

BIGH2001

3 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

The significance of that for the next coach is that it is decision time for all of them next year.  Brown should be extended.  Chinn, too, IF somebody actually plants him in his best role instead of trying to use him to fill other holes. 

The rest are playing for their careers, either here or elsewhere. 

Yeah Chinn has a 44.5 PFF grade and I don't think it's entirely his fault. I'd want him if I was the next coach but he wouldn't be wasting his time playing free safety

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

32 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah Chinn has a 44.5 PFF grade and I don't think it's entirely his fault. I'd want him if I was the next coach but he wouldn't be wasting his time playing free safety

If it is not obvious by now that he is a small OLB, aggressive SS, or hybrid of the two, I don't know what to say.

I get why the experiment at FS started, because we didn't have one.  But the solution was to get one, not weaken another position that we were good at to try and fill that need.  We arguably wound up with two weakened positions.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

14 hours ago, Donald LaFell said:

If the team wants to keep and pay Burns you basically need another elite DE on the opposite side. The team definitely could use a more complete DE that you cant just run at directly. 

I said this in another thread but many were up in arms about the Charles Johnson contract years ago. He was a more.complete player, with pass-rushing abilities a step or two below Burns but wayyyy better run defense.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, KSpan said:

I said this in another thread but many were up in arms about the Charles Johnson contract years ago. He was a more.complete player, with pass-rushing abilities a step or two below Burns but wayyyy better run defense.

Yeah I think we signed too much of that 2010 core but in the end he played pretty well.

Shaq hasn’t been bad but I’d much rather been overpaying Bradberry than an OLB lol. 

2 hours ago, Sgt Schultz said:

If it is not obvious by now that he is a small OLB, aggressive SS, or hybrid of the two, I don't know what to say.

I get why the experiment at FS started, because we didn't have one.  But the solution was to get one, not weaken another position that we were good at to try and fill that need.  We arguably wound up with two weakened positions.

This. He's playing out of position. He needs to be playing a Kam Chancellor type role. K Chancellor as a cover 3 safety spent the majority of his time either on the box or covering the midrange portion of the field with minimal plays asking him to drop deep. That maximized his strengths and minimized his weaknesses. I honestly think Chinn is better than Chancellor and has more versatility but he still shares the same overall strengths and weaknesses. Now before anyone scoffs at that, understand that Chinn is basically being asked to play the Earl Thomas role in our defense. Now imagine Kam Chancellor trying to play the Earl Thomas role. It wouldn't be pretty. Chinn is playing out of position and it's obvious but he's still playing decently well. Kam Chancellor would be on IR early from the third degree burns he'd be receiving trying to cover deep constantly.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

26 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This. He's playing out of position. He needs to be playing a Kam Chancellor type role. K Chancellor as a cover 3 safety spent the majority of his time either on the box or covering the midrange portion of the field with minimal plays asking him to drop deep. That maximized his strengths and minimized his weaknesses. I honestly think Chinn is better than Chancellor and has more versatility but he still shares the same overall strengths and weaknesses. Now before anyone scoffs at that, understand that Chinn is basically being asked to play the Earl Thomas role in our defense. Now imagine Kam Chancellor trying to play the Earl Thomas role. It wouldn't be pretty. Chinn is playing out of position and it's obvious but he's still playing decently well. Kam Chancellor would be on IR early from the third degree burns he'd be receiving trying to cover deep constantly.

I don't want to say it's a Perfect Panther thing to do. Cuz we really don't know how Fox or Rivera would use him. But it is a typical Rhule move. Take a player, who was in the running for DPOY, and change his position. 

It is also kinda strange how Wilks is using him. There may be a method to his madness, but I can't see it. Just another one of those things that make me go hmmm.

• Beer 1

the stoke guy came out of the hospital and out-played him.

I was done with him once he showed up to OTAs hurt.

Hes got the same problem as many others not named luvu, shaq, brown, and horn... hes S-O-F-T

only saving grace is the 3rd year break out that happens at times. I place his at 1.3% given he still has issues with meh TEs. 

• Pie 1

Always thought Chinn at weak side LB is his position.  Most would say he is undersized for that role and that is probably the thinking but he is just effective there and can cover when needed.

I didn’t read all of this thread but if anyone is calling Chinn soft I have to laugh at that garbage.  He hits people and makes plays

YGM is just an average player athletically.  He can try as much as he wants he just doesn’t have the goods against NFL talent

Edited by Shocker