• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Mcadoo developing Darnold??

WOW!!

I see a lot of people who seemed to shift from we are the worst team ever to being disappointed that if we make the playoffs and don’t go to the SB someone isn’t good enough to start on the team. 

Like, there is no middle ground. I don’t see a lot of realistic assessments of the situation here. 
It spills over into the attitude towards the draft, where only the top pick is good enough. And it has to be a qb because, well that is where you get a SB winning qb. Or so they must think. 

I don’t know if this is realistic but my view is they have built the team into something that can support a developing or underdeveloped QB, or a guy with only a game manager ceiling, enough to win some games and become respectable. 
That is a much better situation than they were in last year or the year before.

I see things approaching what I expected to see this year which I thought was the ‘learn how to win’ year where you have the talent but not the experience. Not making the playoffs but being a team those teams do not want to face. Being spoilers. Being good enough to spoil the season of a good team by screwing their seeding or just knocking them out of the race. 
We are there. It didn’t go in a straight line like I expected with the head coaching change and the trading of CMC and the starting QB mess but they are progressing. 
I did want Sam get a shot with the improved OL and all, because he has the prototypical size and skill set, and because some people figure things out later or slower than others but when they are done figuring they know the info just as good as the guy that got there quicker. You have to verify that Sam is Not one of those. But it looks like he might be. 

In my scenario of building the team up before you plug your QB into it, the time is about here. Time to start seriously looking at which QB can top off the team and if somehow this guy learns to function efficiently in the offense you can yell Bingo!. 
If you have acquired someone you want to supplant him, then you have the good problem of finding a trade partner for one of them. Or if Sam fails, well you hopefully have his replacement and a strong cast for the new QB to work with. I think we are in a good place. 

1 hour ago, Call Me James said:

No, because if we lose we'll still be getting a top 10 pick. If we win out and make the playoffs that's exciting.

But what we're not going to do is ignore the fact that the team isn't very good and we don't have a lot of quality wins to show for it (we're safely under .500 this season).

If we run the ball well and the defense makes stops we win.

I mean we're coming off a record breaking rushing day and you goofies are trying to talk about Sam Darnold turning us around.

But I know you don't actually watch the games.

The hell you talking about? All I said was he's playing better, as the rest of the team. Get over yourself you insecure angry little man.

Merry f*cking Christmas to you too! 

41 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

Darnold haters refer to him as a 5th year QB. 

Darnold backers refer to him as a 25 year old QB. 

Interesting. Darnold’s career path had him developing in the NFL during his low twenties. A QB like Pickett is just getting started in the NFL at 24. Ask yourself if you would be satisfied with Pickett being our future QB if he’d taken over for Mayfield/Walker and performed the same as Darnold. I think most would be at minimum cautiously optimistic in that case. 

I mean. Sam's a 25 year old veteran. He had a good game. But boy has he had a bad career. Doesn't mean he can't turn it around, but odds aren't in his favor. But, recent success suggests backup level. Cool.  Maybe more? Sure. Maybe less? Also possible.

And anyway no I didn't want Pickett in the first and while I wish him well and have seen him make some great throws, one of the big knocks on him was actually his age.

5 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If we have the misfortune of winning this putrid division the skull dragging the Cowboys will put on us is going to be very eye opening for some folks.

No it won't.

The Cowboys are a better team than us. i fully expect us to lose to whoever in the playoffs.

That doesn't mean we do things at an NFL level and we should build on that.

No, he's not. When your rushing attack is having success it doesn't so much matter who is back there. when 2 guys rush for 100 yards in the first half, you better be winning that game. Darnold isn't having to make game defining throws. I don't see how anyone that complained about Bridgewater could view this situation any brighter. Darnold has just embraced the first rule of quarterbacking, which is don't fug up. There's a lot more to it. 

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We build on it by finding a starting QB.

That is one step, yes.

Sam Darnold might be are starting quarterback next year. It's highly likely. Even if we draft and Levis or Richardson will be the starter -- or even better than Darnold long term (Zach sure as fug isn't, for example) . A retread like Carr would still have to learn the offense and develop chemistry with the team and even then he seems to be regressing.

if Sam Darnold is our starting QB next year, you need to build an offense to support him. 

4 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If the point of the thread is a thinly veiled attempt to want to keep both darnold and mcadoo then our fans have truly lost their minds.   We have to do better in the 2023 version of the nfl.   Running the football is fun as hell when it works ie yesterday but you are at a complete disadvantage when you get into a shootout.  And that happens more times then not with all of the rules favoring wrs and qbs.  

The point of this thread is taking notice of differences I see in this offense and this QB who’s been trash but now looks like he has some competency.. Which he hasn’t shown since he’s been here.. I’ve already said this I’m completely on drafting a QB in the 1st round 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, ECHornet said:

Darnold haters refer to him as a 5th year QB. 

Darnold backers refer to him as a 25 year old QB. 

Interesting. Darnold’s career path had him developing in the NFL during his low twenties. A QB like Pickett is just getting started in the NFL at 24. Ask yourself if you would be satisfied with Pickett being our future QB if he’d taken over for Mayfield/Walker and performed the same as Darnold. I think most would be at minimum cautiously optimistic in that case. 

You can’t look at it like that.  

39 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I mean. Sam's a 25 year old veteran. He had a good game. But boy has he had a bad career. Doesn't mean he can't turn it around, but odds aren't in his favor. But, recent success suggests backup level. Cool.  Maybe more? Sure. Maybe less? Also possible.

And anyway no I didn't want Pickett in the first and while I wish him well and have seen him make some great throws, one of the big knocks on him was actually his age.

Best case scenario is Sam can be a decent backup/bridge until the next QB is ready to go. The concern is over the next few games will circumstances allow him to continue to eek by without having to do much more than he's asked. It's inevitable we will see some wtf moments and even an OC like McAdoo is capable of hiding those for a time but it won't last.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 1

2 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

The point of this thread is taking notice of differences I see in this offense and this QB who’s been trash but now looks like he has some competency.. Which he hasn’t shown since he’s been here.. I’ve already said this I’m completely on drafting a QB in the 1st round 

Bro I promise you most of these posters only care abt yardage and numbers and dont get what they're yelling abt.

There's like 4 elite QBs in the NFL, all in the AFC, while the frontrunner for MVP was Jalen Hurts before he got hurt. Goff and Geno are having career years in Year 3 of their offenses and no one ever talks abt how much Kirk has improved in that offense(and with, ofc, JJ)

Just keep shouting WE GOTTA HAVE A QB and ignore what building around a QB is.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, Rags said:

That is one step, yes.

Sam Darnold might be are starting quarterback next year. It's highly likely. Even if we draft and Levis or Richardson will be the starter -- or even better than Darnold long term (Zach sure as fug isn't, for example) . A retread like Carr would still have to learn the offense and develop chemistry with the team and even then he seems to be regressing.

if Sam Darnold is our starting QB next year, you need to build an offense to support him. 

It’s step 1 2 3 4.   It’s literally the only thing that matters now   

until we get a franchise guy all of this “winning” is all for naught.  Sure it feels good but it’s the short term rush.   We need, we have to do much better then Sam fuging darnold.  I am not sure what games you guys are watching.  He fuging sucks.   And why do you think it’s highly likely he is back when we don’t even know who the gm or coach is.   Seems like an odd statement to make.   

6 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

So you think McAdoo has developed Sam into a starter? Are you willing to pay Sam starter money for this type of play and keep McAdoo as the OC?

I think it’s more Wilks than McAdoo wanting to run the ball to eat clock, and try to lean on his defense since that’s his background. If our running game dominates like it does against bad defenses then our offense looks great. Hell over halfway through that game Foreman was averaging 10 plus yards a carry and Hubbard was at 15. Those are unreal numbers. The counter is when we play good defenses that can contain our running game like the Bengals, Ravens, and Steelers our offense crumbles.

The best comparison I saw was Tannehill on the Titans. As long as they have a lead and Henry is rolling he looks solid. If Henry struggles or they get behind, Tannehill isn’t able to elevate their passing game. Dalton is kind of similar. They can look the part when they are asked to do very little. It’s a decent bridge or backup QB option, but I want something better or with higher potential on our roster 

I think Sam looks more competent and confident then he ever has.. He isn’t seeing ghosts and actually reading the defense for the 1st time since he’s been here… 

wilkes my give the philosophy. But he isn’t working with Sam directly.. He isn’t calling or designing offensive plays.. The Arby package is Mcadoo right?? Using Shenualt like a decoy is Mcadoo right… The running game design and play calls is who??

• Beer 1