• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jason LaCanfora: Panthers potential landing spot for Raiders QB Derek Carr

TheSpecialJuan

I wanted Carr back when the trade rumors were on, but I'm glad we did not get him. He's older than Darnold. If he comes in as a FA that's fine but trading for him? Unless we get him for a 5th round pick like Baker, fug no. There's no incentive. At this point it would be cheaper to just sign Darnold to a 2 year deal and have Corral take the ship in year 3. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

I wanted Carr back when the trade rumors were on, but I'm glad we did not get him. He's older than Darnold. If he comes in as a FA that's fine but trading for him? Unless we get him for a 5th round pick like Baker, fug no. There's no incentive. At this point it would be cheaper to just sign Darnold to a 2 year deal and have Corral take the ship in year 3. 

I'm all for that plan.   🙂

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

If we still haven’t learned, then we’d trade for him. Carr has a huge guarantee escalator if he’s still on the team in February. I’m betting they benched him the last two games to make sure he doesn’t get hurt (guaranteed for injury clause) after they’ve kind of made up their mind to not keep him. He will be released in February or before.

Darnold was basically in the same boat where everyone in the world knew they’d go Wilson and dump Darnold and SF had moved on (already traded for Lance) and we decided to give away 3 picks instead of waiting for the release. At least we threw away less for Baker, but we’d be stupid to trade for Carr and inherit that bloated deal. 

I doubt they straight cut him.  Somebody will give them something for him.   That’s a ton of money to absorb to just make him go away.  

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I doubt they straight cut him.  Somebody will give them something for him.   That’s a ton of money to absorb to just make him go away.  

It’s only 5.6M that can be split over two years if they want. That’s nothing when cutting a QB. The rest is base salary at 30-40M for the next three years. No one is trading for that contract. He would have to agree to a completely new deal to make a trade even discussed. If they thought they could trade him, they wouldn’t have destroyed his value by making him go away 

Just now, Toomers said:

It’s only 5.6M that can be split over two years if they want. That’s nothing when cutting a QB. The rest is base salary at 30-40M for the next three years. No one is trading for that contract. He would have to agree to a completely new deal to make a trade even discussed. If they thought they could trade him, they wouldn’t have destroyed his value by making him go away 

I was wrong.   I just read the article on the ringer and the raiders were smart in their negotiating of his contract.  I thought it was close to 30 million dead money it’s on 5ish

Just now, stbugs said:

You laughter not know his contract. On 2/15 (a month and a half before the draft), his $33M 2023 salary and $7.5M of his 2024 salary becomes guaranteed. Why would any team take that on when it’s clear that the Raiders have moved on and are are making sure he doesn’t get hurt? Throwing away draft picks to boot.  Why would Carr renegotiate to lower his salary for only one prospective team and cost them picks when he can just be a FA since he wouldn’t go through waivers?

Just like Darnold, but way before the draft, Carr is going to be released. He also has a no trade clause.

Yeah I was wrong.   Looks like they will cut him and he will have his choice of teams that pursue him.  Undoubtedly one of them will be us imo.  

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Yeah I was wrong.   Looks like they will cut him and he will have his choice of teams that pursue him.  Undoubtedly one of them will be us imo.  

If he is cut I'm not against signing him providing the contract is not stupid.  I just don't want to trade away anything or take on stupid money.  I also wouldn't let him stop me from drafting a QB if the right one is there come draft day.

Just now, ForJimmy said:

If he is cut I'm not against signing him providing the contract is not stupid.  I just don't want to trade away anything or take on stupid money.  I also wouldn't let him stop me from drafting a QB if the right one is there come draft day.

He is probably going to want a 3-5 year deal.  If it’s one year sure.   Let darnold walk draft a guy and move on down the road

10 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

He is probably going to want a 3-5 year deal.  If it’s one year sure.   Let darnold walk draft a guy and move on down the road

Yeah at 31 I wouldn't go past a 3 year deal.  Third year should be structured for an early release.  Someone else will overpay for him hopefully not us.