• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can Sam Darnold play himself into becoming the 2023 starter?

Verge

5 minutes ago, Aussie Tank said:

It’s too small a sample size to gamble the future on if he wants good money. I’m all for him being retained for back up cash 

Everyone including myself says 2yr 15 mil.

And if he keeps getting better sign him in 2 years again

5 hours ago, Ocpanthertew714 said:

Thank God you don't work in the FO

HAPPY New Year

Keep your day job!

Lord knows I am! 

5 hours ago, Ocpanthertew714 said:

Thank God you don't work in the FO

HAPPY New Year

Keep your day job!

Lord knows I am! 

Why did you repeat yourself?

Edited by glenwo2

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The only way I'm alright with it is if he's signed to a budget deal to keep the seat warm for a guy like Anthony Richardson. Im no way, shape, or form can you go forward thinking Sam Darnold is the long-term answer.

Panthers Stockholm Syndrome is in full effect.

The people that want him back at anything more than a short, minimum contract deal are out of their minds.

Next we are gonna see threads about how Ben McAdoo really wasn't a bad OC and we should extend him.

• Pie 2

7 hours ago, Catsfan69 said:

You are just wrong.

If Sam continues this upward trajectory with zero weapons you can feel good about him. And that would be the only way I would be ok with a gamble like Richardson. 

300 yards from his backfield but zero weapons. You are your very own echo chamber.

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

He is just trolling but we do actually have people here that believe in this "transformation" of Darnold. That's the absurd part.

I try to separate these loonies from Sam the person because it isn't his fault. I still think we should keep him around on the cheap. But our next QB will hopefully have some Cam Newton in him and make people like OldhamA and Catsfan69 utterly uncomfortable.

• Flames 1

Surprisingly good question, meaning I'm surprised that it's a legit question concerning Sammy...not that I'm surprised you asked one.

The ONLY way I'm doing it is if he keeps doing this well and we make it to the NFCCG, which I don't see happening. But even at that, I would still draft a QB next year no later than day 2. 

Now I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him around if we draft a QB who isn't ready to start right out of the gate and as a backup. 

• Pie 2

If this happened it would need to be for barely above top backup money. He can serve as a bridge QB or be one of the best backups in the league, but no way should it be anywhere close to top 25 QB money, even on a short term deal of say 1-2 years. He’s not a franchise QB and he has looked good because of our running game, and offensive game plan around running the ball. His stats have improved because teams are loading up stopping the run, almost daring us to throw. Darnold has done a good job of pulling through when faced with this coverage, but hardly a sign that he is capable of putting the team on his back and being anything other than a mid range QB at his best. I’m not against signing him to be a bridge/top backup but we definitely should keep swinging and take a QB in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft, left the rookie and Corrall battle it out along with a vet such as Darnold, or go for Carr/Jimmy G 

30 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

He is just trolling but we do actually have people here that believe in this "transformation" of Darnold. That's the absurd part.

What’s your thoughts on this:

I think most here are skeptical this type of play from Sam continues over the next two weeks. If it does, prepare yourself to embrace bearded Sam.