• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What's your offer to Chicago?

BrisbanePanther

36 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Yea that chart doesn’t mean much for top picks. Charts do not factor in competition, only worth.

It’s hard to tell but I think 8, next year’s first and this years second is minimum. Add in either this years’ third or next years second and it becomes more realistic.

And all of that is way too much for a team that needs help at WR, TE, LB, DT and DE. 

• Pie 3

Stroud lost a big game and deflated in the 4th quarter. Young showed himself to be a system product and went untested by KState.

Both are good game managers, but have shown they are not capable of transitioning to the NFL game in less than 40 NFL games. They will not be winning NFL games at the level necessary to be a good franchise QB and win in the playoffs during their rookie contracts. Possible developmental QBs over their rookie contract who may be playoff ready 28 to 30 years of age. Not 1st round worthy if you want to be a championship team.

The same mold of a Baker Mayfield, Justin Fields, Matt Leinhart, or Jared Goff.

You would have a better shot at winning games in the NFL with Stetson Bennett IV who would be a late round pick at best and overlooked by most. Bennett won't be a combine warrior, but he can read any defense, has a great feel for the pocket, is masterful at moving safeties, and knows when his receiver will break into a defensive opening. I'm not sure how far I believe Bennett will get in the NFL in his career, but he will have more success than Stroud or Young if he is given an opportunity to start for a team in the NFL. Reminds me of Warren Moon. He'll likely get slammed like Moon did.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 2

2 hours ago, cookinbrak said:

Why would Chicago trade their pick? They need a QB.

They get a haul this year too beef up the team so they can put someone in a better situation next year.

As they have recent first hand experience what happens when a top two pick busts, I think they listen to offers.

However, this is a straw. I think you are correct in that they will just pick a QB.

2 hours ago, TheMaulClaw said:

If we make the playoffs it won't be because we are tripping in there. It would be because we won a lot of fugging games down the stretch.

Yes...we won games with the easiest schedule left in the league and beating teams in a absolute crap division. Its nothing to brag about. 

• Pie 3
  • Poo 1

1 hour ago, CPantherKing said:

Stroud lost a big game and deflated in the 4th quarter. Young showed himself to be a system product and went untested by KState.

Both are good game managers, but have shown they are not capable of transitioning to the NFL game in less than 40 NFL games. They will not be winning NFL games at the level necessary to be a good franchise QB and win in the playoffs during their rookie contracts. Possible developmental QBs over their rookie contract who may be playoff ready 28 to 30 years of age. Not 1st round worthy if you want to be a championship team.

You would have a better shot at winning games in the NFL with Stetson Bennett IV who would be a late round pick at best and overlooked by most. Bennett won't be a combine warrior, but he can read any defense, has a great feel for the pocket, is masterful at moving safeties, and knows when his receiver will break into a defensive opening. I'm not sure how far I believe Bennett will get in the NFL in his career, but he will have more success than Stroud or Young if he is given an opportunity to start for a team in the NFL. Reminds me of Warren Moon. He'll likely get slammed like Moon did.

I get the feeling you love being contrarian for the fun of it haha

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Per the chart, it would be our 1st and 3rd staying at #8. Win this putrid division and drop to #19 and it becomes our 1st, 2nd, and another late rounder.

That's just per the chart. Some of these trades for high picks to take QBs in recent years might mean the chart gets tossed out the window. It might depend on how far they're willing to slide down the board. At #8 they'd still be in prime position to land an impact player. They might not even be looking to slide all the way back to #19 unless it's a huge offer.

For reference, the Niners traded three 1sts and a 3rd to move from #12 to #3 to take Trey Lance. Per the chart, it should've only taken their 1st, 3rd, and maybe a late rounder to sweeten the pot. But when the pick is gonna be a QB and the phones are ringing just throw the chart out the window. The Dolphins still have another 1st coming their way from that trade this year. Meanwhile, Trey Lance has hardly played. He's only thrown 102 passes in the NFL.

I think the old chart is just out of date when it comes to trading up for QB's. It doesn't help when you see the Stafford and Wilson trades either. Overall the draft pick value of elite QB's or QB prospects has skyrocketed.

I would generally probably just pass on a massive trade up, even if it were for someone like Young. The penalty for missing on that pick is so unbelievably massive. It's at least a 4 year skid right out of the gate and potentially far longer. All while missing out on adding more elite talent with premium position picks. 

• Pie 2

5 hours ago, Cdparr7 said:

Nothing. I’m old enough to remember Vince Young scoring 5 TDs and setting a record for most all purpose yards in the Rose Bowl.  

Means Didly-poo. 

I loved Vince.  He didn't throw it like Stroud tonight.  And I've been a big detractor of Stroud until that game.  That's the best defense in the country and he dotted them up and showed incredible decision-making.  I didn't believe in him being a franchise guy until tonight.  I still don't think we have to do anything crazy to move up, but he definitely looks more appealing and prolly just put himself square as the frontrunner for the #1 pick.

• Pie 5

2 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

Warren Moon??

Stetson Bennett is a lot more Colt McCoy than he is Warren Moon.

What a profoundly odd comparison.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, TheMaulClaw said:

I'm not giving up Freddie. They can take Chatfield instead.

We will need two goalies and Pyotr and Freddie are the best two we have. I love Raanta for what he has done but he is very clearly the 3rd best goalie on the squad.

You gotta roll with your best two guys, IMO. Unless there is some chemistry issue with him.

• Beer 1