• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Check out Carrs contract…..

WarPanthers89

37 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

See Saints…..from 2006-current. You do have a good point and I will not deny that paying 40 mill would be ideal, but it’s not a bad option being that you can get out of it any year if you want. If we don’t go the Carr/Jimmy G route you are basically stuck with going the rookie QB route which may work out/may not. We have low competition in the division so now is the time to strike if we are going to. You cut/restructure Shaq and extend Burns and you have close to 30 million additional with two moves alone. 

I do agree that there seem to be some appealing aspects to Carr's contract and that right now there seems to be a big opportunity in our division. In both cases, I just think we may be poorly positioned to take advantage. i'm hesitant to cut Shaq as he does bring value as a vet leader on a young defense. I'm also a little hesitant about extending him beyond next season as he'll be pushing the 30 mark. what's the track record on linebackers playing into their 30's and living up to those contracts at that point? My concern is that restructuring Shaq now, when his value to the team seems at about his peak, vs letting his existing contract expire and negotiating with him as an about to be 30 FA would incur a cost of overpaying for him.

Regarding the division situation, it's possible this may stay a division ripe for the taking for some time. Nothing stays the same forever in the Not For Long league, but none of the current HC/QB combos within the division make me worry they'll become headaches in a couple years. There is no clear contender poised to make itself the force to be reckoned with in the near future. 

I think it may be a mistake to scramble to acquire a Carr that will shortly be on the open market most likely in order to take advantage of a window that may be open for some time.

15 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

When looking at his contract, have you considered he is performing below our current QB this season?

No. We are built on the run and teams are literally begging us to win through the air. I’m stoked Sam has done well for us but I believe we have one of the most QB friendly offenses in the league currently. We are set up to win in spite of our QB play. Carr is a better QB than Sam. Coaches/teams/circumstances play a huge role in a QB’s success. Look at mayfield as a good example.

• Beer 1

57 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

Good point. The alternative however is that if you sign as a free agent, similar to jimmy G you will dedicate long term cap to these guys where Carrs current contract allows you to cut bait at any time if you would like and he is proven to be a top half of the league QB

Carr could go either way, pull a Wilson or a Payton. I don't see him making us SB contenders or building a quality team around him on those numbers so it's a hard pass for me. 

I want to see a rookie QB and let them build the team up around that, just make the vet cheap and run the ball. I don't see us as the 49ers looking for QB play to get them a SB or Rams pre-Stanford. This feels like a Wilson trap, maybe not that bad but bad enough. 

18 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

No. We are built on the run and teams are literally begging us to win through the air. I’m stoked Sam has done well for us but I believe we have one of the most QB friendly offenses in the league currently. We are set up to win in spite of our QB play. Carr is a better QB than Sam. Coaches/teams/circumstances play a huge role in a QB’s success. Look at mayfield as a good example.

If we’re set up to win in spite of QB play, why did we see an uptick in winning when Darnold took over?

You admit that Sam has done well for us but want to pay a QB double who has been performing terribly. I wouldn’t hate acquiring Carr for a single 6th or 7th, but only if we could make the move without cap casualties or restructures that affect our future flexibility. We can’t do that.  

When he’s cut, let’s see what his market value is and go from there. If he’s cheap, then we can consider it. 

Edited by ECHornet

4 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

No one is going go trade for him. He is going to get cut.

Every team in the league is aware of this so only the dumbest of all teams would even consider trading for him. 

What is more likely happening is that people are contacting Carr's agent to start a feeling out process for free agency. 

40.5 million 2023 salary fully guaranteed in March. Only 5 million cap hit to cut him or trade. AND he has a no trade clause.

• Beer 2