• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Wilks weren't from Charlotte and a former member of the staff, would you still want him as HC next year?

Ricky Spanish

16 minutes ago, pantherj said:

We got rid of RR because we wanted a more talented HC who could get better results over the long run. I don't think Wilks has more talent than RR, and honestly I think he's the poor man's version of Ron. And even if he's as talented as Ron, do we really want to go down that road again without a Cam Newton for Wilks to rely on?

We need to dump Wilks for the same reason we needed to move on from RR. It's 2023. Modern football is about the passing game, potent offense, TD passes, 4th quarter shootouts, and highlight reel plays. Excitement. The winning teams in the long run know how to scheme weapons open, and that's the key to winning. Wilks is not an offensive guru who can step in and make our offense better than what McAdoo has cooked up. Wilks is more of a defensive mind, and even then we'll just get torn apart by the top modern style offenses. The Bengals played pitch and catch with our defense and made it look easy. Wilks can't stop that. He doesn't have the answers. If this were the 90's or early 00's, then fine Wilks would be our guy. It's 2023. McAdoo and Wilks belong in a retirement home by NFL standards. We need to modernize our whole team, starting with the HC.

We actually got rid of Rivera because his message was old and the players had lost some faith in him.  It was time for a change. Age isn't really an issue  in this league but failure to change has derailed many.  Interestingly McAdoo has actually shown a lot of flexibility this year. He had to get three different QBs ready and adapt the system to what they did well even if it changed week to week.  This running the ball wasn't his idea, it was Wilkes. He took Darnold over five games and handed more to him as he developed. Darnold has a QB rating of 104 in his 5 games and really improved as yesterday he threw for 3 tds and 350 yards. Seems like a pretty good modern passing game to me. And McAdoo has done what we have always wanted an OC to do. Adapt the system to what the players are best at  and build a game plan around that.

Edited by panthers55
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

We actually got rid of Rivera because his message was old and the players had lost some faith in him.  It was tome for a change. Age isn't really an issue  in this league but failure to change has derailed many.  Interestingly McAdoo has actually shown a lot of flexibility this year. He had to get three different QBs ready and adapt the system to what they did well even if it changed week to week.  This running the ball wasn't his idea, it was Wilkes. He took Darnold over five games and handed more to him as he developed. Darnold has a QB rating of 104 in his 5 games and threw for 3 tds and 350 yards. Seems like a pretty good modern passing game to me. And McAdoo has done what we have always wanted to do. Adapt the system to what the players are best at  and build a game plan around that.

So you want Wilks?

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

We actually got rid of Rivera because his message was old and the players had lost some faith in him.  It was tome for a change. Age isn't really an issue  in this league but failure to change has derailed many.  Interestingly McAdoo has actually shown a lot of flexibility this year. He had to get three different QBs ready and adapt the system to what they did well even if it changed week to week.  This running the ball wasn't his idea, it was Wilkes. He took Darnold over five games and handed more to him as he developed. Darnold has a QB rating of 104 in his 5 games and threw for 3 tds and 350 yards. Seems like a pretty good modern passing game to me. And McAdoo has done what we have always wanted to do. Adapt the system to what the players are best at  and build a game plan around that.

I don't think he showed much flexibility early on. He kept beating the RPO drum with Baker when Baker was never a run threat. Thats a huge part of why the offense looked so terrible under Baker. Baker/McAdoo combo never made much sense from the beginning.

Sam always fit his playbook more than Baker did. His offense has been very basic much of the time, and he doesn't scheme receivers open very well. Our offense has been less than impressive all year. 

• Beer 1

Wilkes is a interim head coach that did not get to pick his coordinators or players. The schemes ran both on the offense and defense was put into place and he could do but so much change. In the interview I would love to be able to sit in and hear what changes he has in mind. If he was going to get new coordinators and want to get someone in to help develop a Qb I would have a difficult decision to make. I don't think that is going to be his approach and it will be his downfall of being our head coach. Tepper can and probably screw this up but I hope Tepper lets our Gm and Dan Morgan make the decision and he would endorse it. We can dream. I really think we need to just go another direction and if we don't we will always wonder what if we had hired this guy or this guy instead of keeping Wilkes and his new staff. 

1 minute ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I don't think he showed much flexibility early on. He kept beating the RPO drum with Baker when Baker was never a run threat. Thats a huge part of why the offense looked so terrible under Baker. Baker/McAdoo combo never made much sense from the beginning.

Sam always fit his playbook more than Baker did. His offense has been very basic much of the time, and he doesn't scheme receivers open very well. Our offense has been less than impressive all year. 

Did you see Baker yesterday for the Rams.

And I don't agree he hasn't schemed guys open. I have seen a lot of guys open lately. Getting them the ball has been another story. We have averaged 25 points a game since Darnold took over.  That is above the NFL average of 22 so far in 2022 which is a little down from last year. 

The truth is that running the ball and using zone are Wilkes tendencies because he is a defensive coach. So if you want a team that passes the ball all the time or plays man pressure then Wilkes isn't your guy. If you want a kliff Kingbury who is aggressive on 4th down but shaky in other areas then you don't want Wilkes. But many of the criticisms here are off-base.  

• Beer 2

21 minutes ago, The Natural said:

If he isn't willing to part with Holcombe he shouldn't even be in the discussion.

I think Holcomb is running Wilkes scheme so I am not sure if he would be replaced. The question is whether we have the personnel to play zone. It isn't like zone can't work. Buffalo does it well.  I actually prefer more press coverage and man mixed with lots of blitzing and 7 on the line making offensive line pickups difficult. I thought we would blitz Brady more but I think Wilkes went back to how Rivera would play Brady often rushing 3 or 4 and dropping 8 or 7. The flaw was backup corners starting and no Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis to call it out and protect the middle.

35 minutes ago, pantherj said:

So you want Wilks?

LOL,,  fans minds, change by the hour lol.  I was reading the in game post on here yesterday,,  and I was SHOCKED ,,  after the first drive , we scored,,  at the number of fans posting ,  Give Darnald and extension,  lock Wilks up now.   And I mean LOTS OF comments.  You can go back and read them .   Just like the GET RID OF WILKS group were no where commenting after that first TD ..  Then we were up 14-0  ..  and WOW, I just knew  the hire Wilks group were  putting a Go Fund Me  page on facebook to raise money to help Tepper hire him ..    

27 minutes ago, OceanPanther said:

LOL,,  fans minds, change by the hour lol.  I was reading the in game post on here yesterday,,  and I was SHOCKED ,,  after the first drive , we scored,,  at the number of fans posting ,  Give Darnald and extension,  lock Wilks up now.   And I mean LOTS OF comments.  You can go back and read them .   Just like the GET RID OF WILKS group were no where commenting after that first TD ..  Then we were up 14-0  ..  and WOW, I just knew  the hire Wilks group were  putting a Go Fund Me  page on facebook to raise money to help Tepper hire him ..    

This forum is mostly about knee jerk reactions and Panthers news. It would get pretty boring if fans stopped serving up hot takes in the moment.

11 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Interim NFL head coach is a hard, sh-tty and frequently thankless job. You're asked to lead a team full of players you didn't draft / sign / trade for using schemes you didn't choose with the assistance of a staff you didn't hire.

Wilks did an overall admirable job in that role.

Not a good enough one to make him permanent sadly, but it definitely shouldn't be forgotten just how much of an uphill climb this always was.

would you be upset if he was the choice by tepper anyway at head coach?