• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fitterer Burned us, but he can fix it.

top dawg

9 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I don’t get how people can think poorly of Wilks, when his average level of success is better than Fitterer’s — and yet people think Fitterer is the right guy at GM. 

I don't know of anyone other than Tepper that can precisely say what personnel decisions Fitterer has been responsible for as GM.

That makes it extremely difficult to judge his performance as a fan.

On the other hand Wilks is the face of this franchise and it is hard for him to hide from his critics.

Regardless, it is like comparing apples to oranges.

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth
  • Beer 1

9 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

I don’t get how people can think poorly of Wilks, when his average level of success is better than Fitterer’s — and yet people think Fitterer is the right guy at GM. 

I think that it's very much debatable that Wilks' "average level of success is better than Fitterer's." Plus, we're comparing apples to oranges. Fitterer has made some gaffes in conjunction with Matt Rhule who ultimately was responsible for the decisions, but Fitterer has appointed himself fairly well in the draft as well. More importantly, he showed geowth, and was keen not to keep making the same mistakes. I'm not sure that I can say that about Wilks.

3 hours ago, top dawg said:

Not gonna follow the thread but I read your post and am responding to key points because this forum is dire right now and effort needs to be acknowledged

Darnold acquisition - I have a theory based on everything that overpaying for him, signing him, and hiding him in preseason was all some kind of weird attempt to boost his ego and try to right the ship from NYJ. Rhule and Tepper made a huge deal about hiring team psychologists to help players through hard times (a great move, imo) and that all just adds up. It was also the college coach in Rhule; remember the hype videos where they threw him a party and filmed it? I really don't think that was Tepper; it just doesn't add up 

Burns - Yeah, hard to defend it at this point. Burns vanished in the biggest game of the year against a left tackle who has struggled all season. Only argument against the trade is that Burns helps Fitterer keep his job now, and trading him for picks does not. If the Panthers were gonna make that trade, he'd need assurances he'd be around to use the picks and we don't know if he was given them. 

Fields - Fields is a very boom or bust QB who's taking advantage of teams playing 2 high zone and leaving the flats empty. He's an incredible athlete and once he's at top speed he's not getting touched. He's got a great deep ball but struggles with reads. It's unclear if his passing struggles/inconsistencies are due to that, or Chicago being what it is. I think it's too early to tell with Fields. And maybe they'd be in a position to attract a top flight coach, but what if fields was JUST good enough to keep rhule around...or he used the "gotta keep things consistent for a young qb" argument to buy another year?

And I think it's really unfair to Horn that he keeps getting compared to Fields, especially since he had a fluke foot injury and then a fluke friendly fire broken wrist. If Horn shuts down Evans yesterday and the Panthers are poised to get into the playoffs, we're all singing a different tune. 

Thomas - no fuging idea. nothing about it makes sense. He's banging Tepper's wife and she ordered her husband to keep him around....and reward him.

Fitt has been awful.  He made a bunch of bad trades, and then had to trade our best player to recoup the losses of his bad trades. Conversely he could have gotten a ransom for Burns and he didn't.  Burns is known to disappear in big games, and he's a liability in the run game.  Burns is a guy that when you go beyond the surface you realize he is alarmingly average with only one good skill set.    He resigned Robbie Anderson too quickly, awful.  The CJ Henderson trade is truly dreadful, I have not seen a player who doesn't gaf as much as Henderson.  That guy has zero heart and doesn't even like playing football.  Fitterer didn't push for a coaching change, he let a lame duck awful coach stick around too long.  Fitterer did an awful job this season, and last season.   He's done a poor job of evaluating the qb position.  Him allowing a lame duck coach to go through the death spiral of losing his job by bringing in Mayfield was a terrible decision, for the team and the players.  What's funny is, now everyone is blaming Steve WIlks because they are fugging idiots.

This actually may fall on Tepper and not Fitterer,  Tepper did a hire a "yes" guy who has no backbone and didn't make the tough decisions before the season started.  

• Pie 1

20 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

^^^^ Agreed with everything here.

My issue with Fitt is his desire to trade down in the draft.

With the Panthers slated to pick at least #9, I really hope he doesn't do that again.

Also, I still agree that picking up Sam's 5th year option was ridiculous and dumb but in hindsight (as it turned out), it led to us potentially having a solid backup for whomever young QB we draft (or Corral) going forward.     A case of Bad Process, Good result there.

was going to post this. he can't fix this. no idea what he's doing.

16 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm not convinced Stroud fixes anything.

If he fell to us, okay. Trading extra picks for him? That's a no.

People lament us not being bold, but we have been. Hell, we were extremely bold a few years back. Specifically, when we hired a college coach, gave him a massive contract and full roster control.

And now we're here...again.

I don't really give a sh-t about "bold". I want smart.

I could be wrong, but didn’t you say you were willing to trade multiple picks for Maye in 2024?

14 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

I could be wrong, but didn’t you say you were willing to trade multiple picks for Maye in 2024?

Only a UNC homer would make such an insane proposition. The kid is obviously very talented but the NFL draft road is littered with QB's who have a solid one year of film on them, sky high future draft stock and then the rest of their college career doesn't show enough improvement.

That goes for the Caleb Williams fanboys, as well. 

Sure, it's nice to look ahead at that and wish but we are a long way from them going through their draft process and having multiple years of film to study.

• Beer 1

I think Stroud on this team in 2023 easily wins this poo division.  He is exactly the type of qb that we need.  Very efficient, makes all the throws and can stretch the field and he can start day 1.   He isnt the immensely talented guy like Allen, pat m, or lamar he is however a version of the old school pocket passer that puts the ball exactly where it needs to go.  A souped up version of cousins.  If he falls to 2 then I pray fitt can figure out a way to go get him.  

• Pie 1

18 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's far from guaranteed.

Case in point...

Malik Willis was a mid round pick and always considered raw/risky. I don’t see the similarities between drafting him and trading up for Stroud.

Plus no draft pick is a guaranteed success. Teams just have to trust their evaluation process and try to get the best value possible. The most valuable position is QB.