• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, Khyber53 said:

Wilks will either be a HC here or somewhere else. If we're not careful he could be staring across the sidelines from us a couple of times a season, just kicking our asses and recruiting our players.

Building the keep pounding physical kick you in the teeth kind of team we used to be.

• Beer 1

For everyone who thinks Wilks did a great job and should get the HC gig (and to be clear, I think he did a very good job given the circumstances)...why is he not a candidate for any of the other vacancies (excluding Arizona because we know why he won't be one there)? Doesn't that tell you something?

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

That will never happen.  You either hire Wilks as HC or he takes a job somewhere else. That is disrespectful as hell to tell him he's not good enough to be our head coach but you can be a subordinate to out new guy. Nah man, that's all kinds of messed up.

I see what you're saying but that type of scenario wouldn't come about in a way like that.  And it's pretty clear Wilks isn't getting hired anywhere else, not hearing much interest so I imagine if a new hire asks him to consider staying with his guys, he could consider it.

5 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

For everyone who thinks Wilks did a great job and should get the HC gig (and to be clear, I think he did a very good job given the circumstances)...why is he not a candidate for any of the other vacancies (excluding Arizona because we know why he won't be one there)? Doesn't that tell you something?

yeah it tells me Wilks really wants this job, everyone and their mama  know Carolina is his first choice...now if Carolina goes in another direction, plenty new articles will pop up about his services elsewhere....

5 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

It's just day 2 of the offseason for non-play off teams. Not everyone who will get interviewed has been contacted yet and not everyone who will lose a coaching position has been fired yet. There could be openings at two other NFCSouth teams alone before the month is up.

9 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

That Arizona is a terrible franchise and where coaches go to wither away.......

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

I see what you're saying but that type of scenario wouldn't come about in a way like that.  And it's pretty clear Wilks isn't getting hired anywhere else, not hearing much interest so I imagine if a new hire asks him to consider staying with his guys, he could consider it.

How is it clear he's not getting hired anywhere else? So your solution to make it sound better is you're assuming he doesn't have any options other than to take a backhanded offer out of pity? Yeah that sounds much better. 

Nah, you just let him do what he wants to do. If he inquiries about staying on in another capacity then sure. Let the new coach make that call.  

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

His style of coaching isn't in vogue right now.

Looking at the interview requests around the league, it's not hard to figure what style is.

• Beer 1

Just now, Jon Snow said:

How is it clear he's not getting hired anywhere else? So your solution to make it sound better is you're assuming he doesn't have any options other than to take a backhanded offer out of pity? Yeah that sounds much better. 

Nah, you just let him do what he wants to do. If he inquiries about staying on in another capacity then sure. Let the new coach make that call.  

It wouldn't be out of pity, I'm saying if a guy is hired who has a background with him, I can realistically see a convo with an older coworker coming in with the desire to work with him again.  Not pity, just acknowledging he's a good coach and you want to keep him around.  Ron had him in that AHC/Secondary role for a reason.  He basically ran our practices from 2014-2017.

I'll admit it's a reach, probably not happening anyways & get what you're saying.  

• Beer 1

You know Wilks wants the job and he is going into his interview equipped to sell Tepper and the others on his plan. What if and all is a big if, he has Reich as OC, Caldwell would come in as a consultant primarily for offense/ Qb, and have a committed Flores as DC. That would be a good staff.

I am not saying any of that could happen but he is going to have to have a great vision and plan to have a chance. I just don't think he has a chance because of the fact that Tepper wants and sees it needs to be a offense minded head coach 

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, *FreeFua* said:

What does everyone like about Steichen so much?

Imo was going to succeed with or without him. Hurts ability to run makes calling plays a hell of a lot easier. 

What Johnson has done with a statue in Goff is exciting. Ben is constantly scheming guys open and making Goff’s life easy. I couldn’t even imagine what Johnson would be able to do with a mobile QB 

I bet he could even make Sam look good as he's way more mobile than Goff.

He'd be a boon to whatever young QB we throw out there whether it's Corral or Richardson (or someone else).  

Count me in on the Ben Johnson train.

Edited by glenwo2