• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

7 hours ago, Rocky Davis said:

The only way Reich ends up here is if he doesn't get a HC job, and with a lot of them opening up I bet he'll get one.

There’s only 5 openings and he’s obviously not a candidate in Indy. He’s interviewing here and hasn’t been mentioned as a possibility in Denver (sounds like one of Payton, Harbaugh, or Quinn), Arizona (Vance Joseph or Payton), or Houston (reports than Jonathan Gannon is early favorite and all their interview requests are young guys e.g. Steichen, Johnson, Ryans). I don’t think he’s getting a HC gig unless he blows Tepper away. 

• Pie 2

I'm actually very happy with the list of candidates we have requested so far. Would love to see Demeco Ryans or Broncos DC Ejiro Evero. Interesting guy (Born in the UK) and did an AMAZING job in Denver this year. If their offense were even competent they'd have been in the playoffs thanks to that Defense. Also has Offensive experience at the NFL level working under Harbaugh in SF:

image.png.2c236426f0d0f21495dc17ce1f803a3c.png

47 minutes ago, Martin said:

Seems like a very solid group overall. The only one potentially missing is the Seahawks OC. Uphill climb for Wilks as the only defensive coach.

Could be really good to pair up Caldwell with one of the young guys. I think that’s why they are interviewing him. Not sure there is a role called “first time head coach support / assistant head coach”, but that would be a good one.

/cdn-cgi/mirage/b0239590e19350cae59d97df21c13ac34d20653aab72626d1a314c4f712cf839/1280/https://www.carolinahuddle.com/uploads/monthly_2023_01/image.png.880ff563108355df6b0f615bc43d8c46.png

I think if hiring Steichen or Johnson it would be very beneficial to have a guy like Caldwell on staff

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

What does everyone like about Steichen so much?

Imo was going to succeed with or without him. Hurts ability to run makes calling plays a hell of a lot easier. 

What Johnson has done with a statue in Goff is exciting. Ben is constantly scheming guys open and making Goff’s life easy. I couldn’t even imagine what Johnson would be able to do with a mobile QB 

55 minutes ago, Martin said:

I'm curious who Dorsey would bring in as his OC. Maybe Joe Brady? 

Kafka was a guy I wanted Panthers to look at as OC last off-season, but I don't think he's ready for the HC gig yet.

I feel like Reich/Caldwell are more of OC candidates to pair with Wilks than true HC candidates.

11 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Imo was going to succeed with or without him. Hurts ability to run makes calling plays a hell of a lot easier. 

What Johnson has done with a statue in Goff is exciting. Ben is constantly scheming guys open and making Goff’s life easy. I couldn’t even imagine what Johnson would be able to do with a mobile QB 

Yeah. Pair him with AR15 and let's go

5 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Steichen and Johnson are my two favorite candidates. You asked about Steichen.

Steichen started his coaching career as a defensive assistant, has at least some background on that side of the ball. He was then with the Chargers when Herbert came i to the league and received praise for his work with starting Herbert's career. He then moved to Philly and took on a lost offense with a QB in Hurts that looked like 3rd string and turned Hurts and that offense into what you see today. There are a few assistants on his offensive staff in Philly that would be good candidates to come with him, such as Brian Johnson who is considered a very good young football mind. 

1 minute ago, TheProcess said:

Steichen started his coaching career as a defensive assistant, has at least some background on that side of the ball. He was then with the Chargers when Herbert came i to the league and received praise for his work with starting Herbert's career. He then moved to Philly and took on a lost offense with a QB in Hurts that looked like 3rd string and turned Hurts and that offense into what you see today. There are a few assistants on his offensive staff in Philly that would be good candidates to come with him, such as Brian Johnson who is considered a very good young football mind. 

Brian Johnson has a connection with Anthony Richardson so I’m all for that

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, uncfan888 said:

Yeah. Pair him with AR15 and let's go

Or call Chicago to see if they are looking to draft QB at #1 and trade Fields. I think Fields throws better than Hurts, and is just as athletic. If Steichen can help Fields in the areas he helped Hurts, watch out. Steichen/Hurts is successful, I think Steichen/Fields would be too

Edited by TheProcess
  • Pie 1

7 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Jalen Hurts did not look third string last year…don’t make stuff up. the Eagles didn’t draft a QB this past draft for a reason. The guy had respectable numbers last year and had 26 total TDs last year. So you cant take away hurts development and just give it to Steichen.

steichen was booed out of Los Angeles. He was disliked by the fan base because of his horrendous play calling. Abandoning the run, deep balls on short downs, and wacky play designs for easy first downs.

he has definitely improved as an OC for the Eagles, but a lot of reports are starting to come out that he isn’t the reason hurts was successful this year and that it was more on Johnson. 

I put in many hours of research on Steichen over the past month. As someone who started a thread on why we should hire Steichen back in week 4…. I’m considering starting a thread on why we should NOT hire Steichen now.

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 3

5 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Or call Chicago to see if they are looking to draft QB at #1 and trade Fields. I think Fields throws better than Hurts, and is just as athletic. If Steichen can help Fields in the areas he helped Hurts, watch out. Steichen/Hurts is successful, I think Steichen/Fields would be too

I'd be good with fields. I doubt Chicago is going to give up on him though. They'll get a ton for the first pick

36 minutes ago, t96 said:

Hopefully Tepper is underwhelmed by these guys’ interviews and drags his shriveled up brass balls begging back to Harbaugh

Harbaugh is probably asking for things Tepper doesn't want to give after the Rhule fiasco. He definitely wants his own GM at minimum. Not saying that is good or bad just what's likely on the table. I don't get why we are so attached to Fitterer given his overall record and the Seahawks have been doing even better since he left anyway.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 1