• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Matt Rhule was the best sales pitch last time.

How'd that work out?

Being able to sell yourself as being good is not the same as actually being good.

Are you really debating if Sean Payton is a good coach and comparing him to Matt Rhule in the process?

I know there is a large contingent of people on here who don’t want him and many (including myself) who are not really fond of the idea of him coming here at the cost of draft capital, but this is a really weird argument. 

4 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

I mean every HC hire ends up being the best sales pitch. McVay was the best sales pitch for the Rams, Taylor was the best sales pitch for the Bengals, etc. I'm not wild about sending compensation out for Payton, but it's no more of a long shot than Steichen giving his best sales pitch as the next McVay or Wilks giving his best sales pitch of being the best of Rivera without all the bad parts. 

That's why you do research and involve smart football people.

If all you're doing is falling for the best sales pitch, that's how you end up with a guy like Rhule.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, bigdog10 said:

Are you really debating if Sean Payton is a good coach and comparing him to Matt Rhule in the process?

I know there is a large contingent of people on here who don’t want him and many (including myself) who are not really fond of the idea of him coming here at the cost of draft capital, but this is a really weird argument. 

I'm talking about methodology (see above)

2 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

That's why this coach will be a proven NFL head coach, no taking a chance on this one. 

If Tepper follows the norm for the NFL at least.  

Hopefully he learns his lessons and realize he isn’t in position to find the next Mcvay and maybe he should just get a culture of winning and competing before swinging for the fences..

27 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The successful ones all started out as unknowns that someone took a chance on.

I'd much rather find the next Sean McVay than the next Miami version of Jimmy Johnson.

You've written dozens of posts on the dangers of trying to find the "next Sean McVay..."

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, trueblade said:

You've written dozens of posts on the dangers of trying to find the "next Sean McVay..."

Because it ignores experienced coaches like Frank Reich, Don Martindale, Rich Bisaccia and others.

But we haven't interviewed very many of those guys, and I'd still take it over going with someone like Payton.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 2

7 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Hopefully he learns his lessons and realize he isn’t in position to find the next Mcvay and maybe he should just get a culture of winning and competing before swinging for the fences..

That's one of the reasons that I've said it's Payton's job since he was added to the interview list.  It's a swing for the fences but it's also a coach known for winning and an offensive minded coach. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Because it ignores experienced coaches like Frank Reich, Don Martindale, Rich Bisaccia and others.

But we haven't interviewed very many of those guys, and I'd still take it over going with someone like Payton.

Do you prefer Reich over Payton because he'd be "free" rather than costing draft assets? Not sure why Reich is preferred to Payton if based purely on coaching acumen. I definitely think Payton is a better coach.

Edited by UNCrules2187