• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

I think we’re gonna end up with Wilks

I’m always hesitant when I see tweets like this. We’ve seen Tepper likes Harbaugh, Tepper fixated on Ryans, Tepper would do anything for Ben Johnson and Payton, etc. I think we need to be mindful that we probably don’t know much right now except he seems to potentially have a type (offensive minded guy). Anyhow, I’m anxious to see what happens.

• Pie 4

4 minutes ago, Tarheel119 said:

I’m always hesitant when I see tweets like this. We’ve seen Tepper likes Harbaugh, Tepper fixated on Ryans, Tepper would do anything for Ben Johnson and Payton, etc. I think we need to be mindful that we probably don’t know much right now except he seems to potentially have a type (offensive minded guy). Anyhow, I’m anxious to see what happens.

Agreed, there's a lot of smoke with different candidates but it being so spread suggests it doesn't mean all that much other then the trend(s) with the different candidates who have smoke surrounding them. And to your point, that is offensive minded guy. Which suggests (along with other signs) that Wilks really is not a realistic option.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, UNCrules2187 said:

I'm left with tangible proof of success in my scenario. Lombardis are forever. Who remembers that 2015 Panthers season besides Carolina fans? 15-1 and a SB appearance and yet it was all for naught. 

So is diabetes.

(spoken from experience)

• Pie 2

Doug Pederson or Mike Vrabel

Who is the better coach? Who do you prefer to lead your team?

Mike Vrabel has coached 5 years and averages right at 10 wins per season. No trophies to show for it.

Doug Pederson, if you exclude the year he won the Super Bowl, is just under .500 in win % and averaged ~8 wins over 5 years.

Edited by ECHornet
  • Pie 1

45 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

I think we’re gonna end up with Wilks

The problem here isn't Tepper's willingness to give Payton "anything he wants" as he has the money to do that.

It's about what he's willing to give the Saints to get him.

I just really hope he understands the differences between the two of them and makes smart decisions in regards to that.

My hope would be that he could somehow convince the Saints to take back maybe just 2 mid round picks with one in the future, and then give them like 20-25 million in cash on top.  The guy has the money to do it and it wouldn't be giving up good draft picks to a division rival.

I doubt the Saints would do that, but it would make me MUCH happier if we went that route as my big issue with Payton is giving high draft picks to a division rival.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Said he'd coach the Texans too...

I think he likes everybody right now.

I mean I get it, he’s trying to get hired, I just don’t remember coaching searches being dramatic like this. Maybe it’s bc we are involved so I’m paying more attention to other teams?

42 minutes ago, Tarheel119 said:

Since the advent of Twitter, journalism has died ... or at the very least allowed journalism to be seen as a fraud instantaneously. Every one of these Twitter guys has a "source" that they never reveal, every one wants to break some big news, every one wants Follows and clicks, every one more than likely does ZERO fact checking, etc. The worst part is, young folk today think Twitter is reliable! The way misinformation spreads is insane.

Again, I can admit that newspapers or nightly news back in the day could have just as easily reported rumor or "fake news". But with Twitter ... anyone can do it now, not someone who has a degree in the business, etc. Our very on Verge has "sources". But it's not like she has the phone number of somebody working for the NFL who is giving her, and her alone, inside info. Twitter is an abomination ... but we like it because it's 24/7.

12 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

Doug Pederson or Mike Vrabel

Who is the better coach? Who do you prefer to lead your team?

Mike Vrabel has coached 5 years and averages right at 10 wins per season. No trophies to show for it.

Doug Pederson, if you exclude the year he won the Super Bowl, is just under .500 in win % and averaged ~8 wins over 5 years.

I'd want Vrabel easily.

1 minute ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Panthers interviewing Bills OC Ken Dorsey on Saturday 

per me and Peter Schrager

Really???

The guy is interviewing for another job the day before their playoff game??

That's very surprising in itself, but it also means 2 things to me... 

First is that it means Steichen is Tepper's favorite or he's setting up future interviews to try and leverage going another way over Payton/Saints negotiations.  As if Payton was the top target, I'd think Tepper would be trying to get it wrapped up ASAP and not drag into the weekend, so setting up a weekend interview would be weird.