• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Texans fire Lovie Smith

philit99

34 minutes ago, UnluckyforSome said:

I thought the only reason he got hired was due to the rumbling backlash that was growing when word got out that McCown was going to be the new guy.

It's a touchy subject but he got hired in the midst of the backlash surrounding racial inequality among HC's in the league and right after the brian flores situation in Miami.

whatever the true reason as to why lovie got it, clearly they only wanted a one year rental and they shouldn't have ever given it to him, just a complete joke of an organization

I can’t say that I am surprised he’s been fired. If David Culley only got one season with a 4-13 record, then Lovie Smith with a 3-13-1 record was always going to be in trouble.

Granted it shows no stability or commitment to a head coach, but the NFL isn’t always a patient place. Remember the 49ers did the same post-Harbaugh. Jim Tomsula and Chip Kelly only got one year each in the job before they hired Kyle Shanahan. All the Texans need to do is pick the right person for their head coaching position because their GM won’t survive another one and done head coach, or at least they shouldn’t…

37 minutes ago, UnluckyforSome said:

I thought the only reason he got hired was due to the rumbling backlash that was growing when word got out that McCown was going to be the new guy.

It’s interesting that the AFC South have two teams that went for head coaches with zero NFL coaching experience. The Texans pulled the plug on the idea, while the Colts went for Jeff Saturday. 

I wonder if McCown will get another interview this time around? 

17 minutes ago, TF330 said:

It's a touchy subject but he got hired in the midst of the backlash surrounding racial inequality among HC's in the league and right after the brian flores situation in Miami.

whatever the true reason as to why lovie got it, clearly they only wanted a one year rental and they shouldn't have ever given it to him, just a complete joke of an organization

It's not a touchy subject really. I am probably misremembering some details about it, but I think there was a poo storm brewing about McCown being the "secret" intended choice and he was coaching high school level.

The Rooney rule has great intentions. The execution of it is a farce and pure mockery.

Of course the Colts do essentially the same thing but there are different rules/expectations about interim coaches.

3 hours ago, UnluckyforSome said:

The Rooney rule has great intentions. The execution of it is a farce and pure mockery.

Interestingly enough, the namesake treated it properly and it worked out pretty well...IIRC, Mike Tomlin was brought in via the rule (or maybe a version of a predecessor?). Whatever the case, he wasn't believed to be a real candidate when he interviewed, and no one knew who he was when he got the job.

They've had winning seasons ever since, including two rings.

8 hours ago, Rocky Davis said:

Agreed, but Lovie is not a HC.  He wasn't going to bring anything to the table for the Texans at all so why even hire him? 

I hate to think the real reason why he was hired, but this is the NFL.

9 hours ago, frankw said:

Why even hire him at all to begin with? Funny they also have him to thank for losing the first overall pick. He got his revenge on the way out the door.

Why even hire him at all to begin with? Funny they also have him to thank for losing the first overall pick. He got his revenge on the way out the door.

I don’t know much about the it personally, but a lot of people are screaming Rooney Rule.

Bc they wanted a tank commander. Texans did it right. fugedup but they wanted to be the worst franchise in football.

they took the nba strategy this year