• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If the Ravens are moving on from Lamar should we knock on that door?

TheBigKat

46 minutes ago, Fryfan said:

The guy is 26 years old.  How are people straight face acting like he is towards the end of his prime.

I like the OP am not saying the shade he is getting here.

Because for a running QB, he is getting toward the end of his prime.  If he was a straight drop back QB, 26 years old is a non-issue.  But he's not.  His nearest comparisons are Newton and Vick.

With Cam, it was around age 26/27 (2015/2016) when he had his biggest / best seasons and thereafter started to tail off due to injuries.  Yes, TJ Watt was the final straw, but he was nicked up, dinged up, not 100% physically well before that.

With Vick, it's more difficult due to his suspension which occurred around that age.  But, when he returned after, it was clear he was NOT the same QB he was before.

Jackson is definitely a better passer than either of those guys.  But it doesn't mean that he will be able to continue at a high level if he can't run.  Just the threat of his running changes a defense - very much like Vick and Newton.

A guy with that many question marks surrounding him just isn't worth a top 5 fully guaranteed contract.  In fact, a guy like that is one who should be getting a hugely incentive laden contract in a sane world.

As a franchise, drafting a QB in the first round doesn't end your franchise for the length of his contract.  In fact, it's well proven that there are teams who will take your first round QB who you no longer believe in and give you a decent haul in return.  With a fully guaranteed deal, your franchise lives or dies with the guy.

Give me the rookie every single time.  Even if our next three first round picks are QB, we still come out ahead.

• Pie 1

59 minutes ago, Fryfan said:

The guy is 26 years old.  How are people straight face acting like he is towards the end of his prime.

I like the OP am not saying the shade he is getting here.

We got a first hand look watching Cam's career and body get obliterated from the punishment he took playing his style of QB and the NFL letting it happen. Lamar is a smaller version of Cam. It's not hate. It's reality concerning the way he plays QB. Plus it's likely a fully guaranteed contract. 5 year 250 mil contract let's say, his career ends on some fluke injury 3 weeks into his first season, that's 50m a year on the books you can't get around. That's a franchise breaker for the next 5 years. 

20 minutes ago, SazmoRanger said:

That sounds great, but we'd have to give up a haul for him. He can still get tagged by the Ravens so we'd have to trade at LEAST our 1st and one of our 2nds this year. 

The thought of Lamar behind this line and having Ben Johnson or Shane Steichen calling the offense makes me moist. 

We'll see. I distinctly remember another player on our team who was tagged and somehow ended up playing for another team without any compensation coming our way. 

Of course that could have just been ole NippleShorts being an megalomaniac but still. Crazier things have happened. 

As a yearly Fantasy Football player, who oft drafts guys like Lamar, Hurts, Vick, Cam, etc. in the first round, their best scoring games come from when they run it a lot. This season Lamar's best scoring games were: 42.6, 39.4, and 23. His running yds those games: 119, 107, and 89. Other than those three games, Lamar is AVERAGE as it gets for a FF player and to be honest, an actual NFL QB. He's not like Mahomes or Allen. Never was. Never will be. If he can't run it ... meh. But hey, if you think he can give us 17 games and get 60-90 yds on the ground every time out ... cool. If you think he'll suddenly become a pocket guy with the ability to run when pressured ... God bless you. Dude's body is beat up.

3 hours ago, SteveSmithTD89 said:

Fitt said we wanna get sexy (sure he meant in the draft but I'll use it a bit broader

Idk whats more sexy on offense then

QB: Lamar
RB: Foreman/Chuba/Blackshear
WR: DJ Moore, Quentin Johnston (Rd 1), Terrace Marshall Jr
TE: Darnell Washington (Rd 2)

That offense would put some points up. In fact it probably breaks every team record from 2015 with a competent offensive coaching staff. 

Honestly, that’s how I took his comments. He probably feels like the qb of his choice is gone by our pick so maybe he thinks he can use it trade for someone. 

13 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

We got a first hand look watching Cam's career and body get obliterated from the punishment he took playing his style of QB and the NFL letting it happen. Lamar is a smaller version of Cam. It's not hate. It's reality concerning the way he plays QB. Plus it's likely a fully guaranteed contract. 5 year 250 mil contract let's say, his career ends on some fluke injury 3 weeks into his first season, that's 50m a year on the books you can't get around. That's a franchise breaker for the next 5 years. 

I live in Baltimore so I have probably seen most of Lamar's games.  I get the concerns I am not dismissing them but the guy is a clear undeniable talent and deserves a hard look.  He is still young and he can become more disciplined while staying exciting.  

People in this thread have said he is basically good for half a season and for only a few more years..that line is bullypucky to me.  

Edited by Fryfan

I don’t watch many Ravens games so not sure how good or “bad” a passer Lamar is overall.  The times I have watched him play it appears he can throw etc.  

To me the bigger question is can Lamar be more a passing QB who has to scramble and run when he needs to.  I do believe Cam could have become and was evolving into that but it was that hit by JJ Watt that ruined Cam’s shoulder and ruined all that.  

So, if the Panthers plan was to continue to strengthen the O-line and build an offense with Lamar as a passer rather than a runner & the contract was right, I’d be fine with Lamar as the Panther QB.  

1 hour ago, PanthersGTI said:

ALSO, why would Baltimore be willing to let him go if he is the type of QB that can win you a championship? That is a good front office who know what they are doing. If they don't see the future for him ( with a guaranteed contract ) why should Carolina jump on it? 

Well any GM that likes being employed wouldn't just punt a former MVP for nothing and even if they do get a haul he's hitching his wagon to a rookie QB after such a move. Great way to end up looking for a new gig fairly quickly.

• Pie 1

Absolutely not

If he was THAT guy, the Ravens wouldn't even be open to discussions of trading him and they'd have already locked him up long term.  They have seen him up close and personal for years of course, the fact that they haven't caved and given in to his guaranteed contract demand yet is a telling sign in itself.  

He already can't stay healthy, and he's not that good of a passer, he has one or two good years left in him if he can stay healthy, I can't see him being a starting QB into his 30's with his body and style of play.

I'd rather give up 2 first, 2 seconds, and 2 thirds to move up to #1 in this draft, and based on my other thread, it's clear I think that would be an utterly moronic move in itself, and I'd prefer that 100 times out of 100 over any trade for Lamar and the subsequent contract we'd have to give him to destroy our franchise for the next 10 years.

Edited by tukafan21