• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

“I don’t think they draft a QB”

ncfan

1 hour ago, jayboogieman said:

I never thought Corral was the answer. I wanted him to start to see if he was worth developing or if he could be the tank commander. It was a win-win to me.

This is what I saw back in August. I can't recall anyone thinking he was the answer. We already know Darnold isn't the answer. So if things aren't working out with Baker, throw Corral out there and see what he's got. Then the durability concerns entered the picture and ended that.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

20 hours ago, ncfan said:

Will Kunkle who covers the Panthers just said on WFNZ 

“I don’t think the Panthers draft a QB”  

“They don’t like any of the QBs that are expected to be available.  And do not want to move up for one of these guys.”

i cant stress enough that will kunkle has absolutely no idea who they like. also in the slight chance this is correct, it will be just another wasted season. 

• Pie 3

4 hours ago, ECHornet said:

Cheers for the honesty and effort. I botched the years though. I was curious of the poster’s opinion on the combined 2023 and 2024 classes. 

Since so many are scoffing at the idea of waiting until next year to draft a 1st round QB, I thought that would be interesting to see. I’d go…

1. Williams 2024

2. Maye 2024

3. Young

4. Stroud 2024??

5. Rattler 2024

6. Penix Jr 2024

7. AR

8. Daniels 2024

9. Levis

10. Ewers 2024

In discussion for top 10- 15McKee, Hooker, Bennett, Rising 2024, Ward 2024, McCarthy 2024, Nix 2024

Easy to see why I think 2024 is a great year to target a 1st round QB.

Can’t keep kicking the can down the road. 2023 was the year to target QBs until Rattler poo the bed and so forth it’s hard to bank on a class. If our Front Office identifies a guy that they believe has a top 20 draft grade and has the tools and can get him pull the trigger. I’m not saying anyone is Mahommes or Allen but this logic means you’d pass on them if a Trevor Lawrence was coming out the following year 

2 minutes ago, Aussie Tank said:

Can’t keep kicking the can down the road. 2023 was the year to target QBs until Rattler poo the bed and so forth it’s hard to bank on a class. If our Front Office identifies a guy that they believe has a top 20 draft grade and has the tools and can get him pull the trigger. I’m not saying anyone is Mahommes or Allen but this logic means you’d pass on them if a Trevor Lawrence was coming out the following year 

I’d give two 2023 QBs a top 20 grade; Young and Stroud. Stroud may not even declare. I’d consider taking a flier on AR if we can trade back and acquire a 2024 1st OR keep #9 and trade up into late 1st. Levis is more of a late second to third rounder. He’s another Kenny Pickett imo. 

Next year is much deeper and has more premier talent at the top. Especially if Stroud stays in school. 

3 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

I’d give two 2023 QBs a top 20 grade; Young and Stroud. Stroud may not even declare. I’d consider taking a flier on AR if we can trade back and acquire a 2024 1st OR keep #9 and trade up into late 1st. Levis is more of a late second to third rounder. He’s another Kenny Pickett imo. 

Next year is much deeper and has more premier talent at the top. Especially if Stroud stays in school. 

Depending how Levis does behind closed doors with all his interviews I’d wouldn’t be upset adding him at 9 if the team has the grade on him. Big strong mobile cannon to be honest if Wilks gets the job I think he would favour him 

9 hours ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

No one knows how these kids will do in the NFL. Playing QB is more than just stats and arm talent. A lot of it goes into the make up of the person and how dedicated they are to their craft. You don't find that out by simply looking at stat sheets and watching tape. Way too early to tell if they are worth drafting or not

Hence the 1% chance...not too early though.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

That is the exact definition of "reaching for need".

Teams screw themselves massively doing that.

How long have the Panthers gone without having a winning record, let alone making the playoffs again?

You need to take some risks at some point, Scot. 

Unless you want Sam to be re-signed and we just punt the next season and hope we suck badly enough to be in the Top 5 next time to grab a QB.

10 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

How long have the Panthers gone without having a winning record, let alone making the playoffs again?

You need to take some risks at some point, Scot. 

Unless you want Sam to be re-signed and we just punt the next season and hope we suck badly enough to be in the Top 5 next time to grab a QB.

No, you don't need to take one just to take one.

That's how you wind up with a jimmy Clausen.

5 minutes ago, GOAT said:

or take one in the late rounds like Purdy 

Have to admit that Purdy is making this a very valid point.

However, it all depends on the SYSTEM being used.

Kyle Shannahan just knows how to utilize whatever QB he has.

We don't have anyone like that.

20 hours ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

I don't follow college so I go by what I see in articles and highlights and forums. So I have no idea. Not gonna speak on a subject I know little about. Just noticing the trend of the last 3 years we've been looking for a QB.

Looks like a QB heavy draft>College Season Begins>College QBs play like College QBs>No QB in this draft is worth a top 10 pick except one or two guys>Panthers win too many games to draft 1 or 2 but not enough to contend>Panthers don't draft a QB. Rinse and repeat ad nauseum.

As I said, I guarantee most of the QBs coming out next year over half will be declared not first round material. Because it happens every year. That is why I am not gonna say Drake Maye, for example, is first round material. Howell was first round material until his last year in college and that year nose dived his draft stock into the 5th round. 

Hope you don't mind the edit.

• Beer 1