• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper enamored with Ben Johnson per Person

raleigh-panther

37 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

The only thing that doesn't match your statement is the record on the field.

Richardson spanks Tepper like a bald baby in that respect.

Give Tepper time. He’s still a young owner. How many bad HCs did we suffer under Richardson? The only good one imo was Fox, for a few years.  Tepper has only hired one. 

Edited by JawnyBlaze
  • Beer 1

59 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

Just look at how well Goff progressed from 2021 to 2022 with Johnson as his coordinator. I’d risk taking a QB high in the draft if an offensive mastermind was tutoring the guy. We’ve never really had that in Carolina because of our insistence on hiring defensive coaches.

If we drafted a QB in round one (or later) I’d feel comfortable. I don’t think Johnson would draft a guy that he didn’t think would be a competent In his system. I also believe he’s the type of guy who could get the most out of  Sam Darnold “if” we resigned him to hold things down until our new guy was ready. Or, he could be a guy that could develop Matt Corrall into a legitimate starter.

I think most of us would be on board with this scenario, but it would suck for Detroit. A small part of me would like to see the product that He and Dan Campbell would put on the field if they had another couple of years together.

Johnson was not Campbell's OC in 2021.

Goff has been handled by Mark Brunell exclusively per Dan Campbell. The only QBs Johnson has helped develop as an asst. QB coach was Matt Moore and Ryan Tannehill with Miami. Goff's work has largely been with Mark Brunell over the past 2 seasons. Campbell made a point to bring in Brunell to work with the QB and assist with offensive game plans and play calling. Johnson even stated that he did not get to start working with Goff until late in 2021 season. Campbell hand picked Brunell and Duce Staley, he named Staley assistant HC. Anthony Lynn was paired with Campbell and half way through the season there was clashing between Campbell, Goff, Brunell, and Staley with Lynn and the play calling. Campbell took over the offensive play calling with the help of Brunell and Staley. Johnson was elevated to TE/PGC at the end of 2021.

Johnson leaned on the relationship of Dan Campbell and Mark Brunell at the senior bowl and in the offseason after elevating Johnson to OC. Johnson was still not given the lead for calling plays going in to the preseason. This was shared between Campbell, Johnson, Brunell, and Staley. Campbell mainly chose Johnson because he liked his ability to communicate plays into the huddle and would listen to Campbell, Brunell, and Staley without going rogue like Lynn did in 2021. Johnson was finally given the lead for play calling days before the season opener. Ben Johnson has not been a complete OC for an entire year, and he leaned heavily on others when he had full OC responsibilities.

If hiring an OC to build a team as HC, I would want to see the development of young playoff/championship QBs who win, and a successful offense under at least 2 coaches that have gone to playoffs. Ben Johnson is 0-1 in the playoffs with the Dolphins as an asst. WR coach under Clyde Christensen (the QB coach for the Bucs who has helped develop Byron Leftwich).

3 hours ago, *FreeFua* said:

It’s Johnson or bust for me. I’ve wanted Ben since about halfway through the season. 

Ben made Goff’s life easy. Ben gives you the best chance at solving the QB position imo

If it is true that we do not like this group of first round QBs (TBH, I get that), this pick makes sense.  They could sign an unloved veteran QB and use this pick on a stud--If 4 QBs go before the Panthers pick at #9, a stud will be there.

Wonder what he could do with Darnold?  Before you laugh, read the old Rams and last year's Lions boards about Goff.

That could be the plan--a QB  whisperer.

• Beer 1

14 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

If it is true that we do not like this group of first round QBs (TBH, I get that), this pick makes sense.  They could sign an unloved veteran QB and use this pick on a stud--If 4 QBs go before the Panthers pick at #9, a stud will be there.

Wonder what he could do with Darnold?  Before you laugh, read the old Rams and last year's Lions boards about Goff.

That could be the plan--a QB  whisperer.

Anyone who thinks he is the one who worked with Goff needs to dive into Johnson's history. He gets more credit for the losing days in Miami with Tannehill and Matt Moore as an Asst. QB coach than he does for his limited work with Goff.

2 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

He’s already proven to be a better owner than Richardson by getting rid of Rhule in year 3. If Richardson had gotten rid of Rivera in year 3 like many of us were screaming for we might have a SB trophy in the case, with all that talent those teams had. At least Tepper isn’t afraid to make moves, I much prefer that to holding onto Hurney, Rivera, etc way way too long. 

Yeah, I don’t see that way. He is in no way a better owner. Let’s just agree to disagree. 😊

26 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Did you go to the lions panthers game?

The Lions game where they only scored 7 points with 18 minutes remaining in the game? The game against the Panthers where Wilks chose to run down the clock for the entire 2nd half and play a soft zone for a full 2 quarters to end the game? The game that ended the Lions playoff chances?

2 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

The Lions game where they only scored 7 points with 18 minutes remaining in the game? The game against the Panthers where Wilks chose to run down the clock for the entire 2nd half and play a soft zone for a full 2 quarters to end the game? The game that ended the Lions playoff chances?

Yes. That game.  Did you attend it?

Two things.

One- LAST time tepper was in the hiring process and was "enamored" with IQ, I thought the clear leader was Kevin Stefanski.........but tepper got honey dick by rhule so they never got the chance to talk..... so I dont know what to think of this report.

Two- If I put Shane Steichen as my clear #1......you have to make peace with the facts he has not been a playcaller for less than two years......So I can not beat down Ben Johnson for the same issue....its the price to pay for some young guy. 

Still if the report is true and tepper "loved" rhule too, this is bad....

Odds Detroit Lions OC Ben Johnson Returns in 2023

NFL insider Jonathan Jones on CBS

Report:

Ben Johnson is in the lead to become the Carolina Panthers' next Head Coach.

Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson reportedly is in the lead to become the next Head Coach of the Carolina Panthers.

After interviewing with the Colts and Texans, Johnson is scheduled to interview with the Panthers next week.

"Ben Johnson has the lead in Carolina," reported NFL insider Jonathan Jones on CBS, during his "Eye on the NFL" segment with NFL Today host James Brown.

There is growing buzz that Panthers owner David Tepper is quite "enamored" with Detroit's first-year offensive coordinator..