• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CJ Stroud enters the draft

jb2288

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Would you like me to post what Google says it means? I know what it means. What we were offering for Watson was a lot, but it wasn't some earth shattering contract, plain and simple. It wasn't setting any fianancial precedents. It was simply a big contract. The  Browns gave him an unprecedented financial contract that will hamstring them for many many years to come if they made the wrong deal. 

Three first round picks is a lot for an unproven rookie, particularly one as raw as Lance. It was truly unprecedented. That being said, they made the deal, and they obviously either got lucky, or their scouting department and coaches are smart enough to work around Lance's situation. It appears that "betting the farm" was mitigated by their smart decision-making.

My point is he was simply using a saying that is thrown around in sports a lot to indicate a team is giving up a lot for a player.  It's never literal.  If it was literal then the Browns didn't do it either.  They still have cap space and they still have draft picks. No one uses it in the literal sense because it is absurd in sports.  You also have no clue what kind of contract we offered Watson either because it hasn't been disclosed.  Carolina has leaked they wouldn't offer as much as Cleveland, but that was AFTER Watson picked the Browns. 

That is another thing you are leaving out.  Watson has a no trade clause so he gets to decide where he wants to go no matter how many picks or much salary cap a team wants to throw away to acquire him. The decision was ultimately his. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, ncfan said:

Again.  Goes back to other unteachables so outside of physical measurables.

just like Russ’s weight never effected him.   He has it between the ears.  He feels the pressure better than about any QB to come out in a long time.  He reads defenses better and his pocket awareness.  He knows when to get the ball out or get out of the pocket and go off script.  Which outside of Mahomes, he’s the best I’ve seen.

I'm not sure you wanna cite Russ as your primary example at this point 😐

39 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

My point is he was simply using a saying that is thrown around in sports a lot to indicate a team is giving up a lot for a player.  It's never literal.  If it was literal then the Browns didn't do it either.  They still have cap space and they still have draft picks. No one uses it in the literal sense because it is absurd in sports.  You also have no clue what kind of contract we offered Watson either because it hasn't been disclosed.  Carolina has leaked they wouldn't offer as much as Cleveland, but that was AFTER Watson picked the Browns. 

That is another thing you are leaving out.  Watson has a no trade clause so he gets to decide where he wants to go no matter how many picks or much salary cap a team wants to throw away to acquire him. The decision was ultimately his. 

We offered him a four year deal worth 156 million dollars. That's really nowhere in the vicinity of what the Browns offered. 

It was reported that it was all but a done deal when the Browns swooped in at the last moment and gave him a better contract.

Again, I don't blame us for balking. 

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

We offered him a four year deal worth 156 million dollars. That's really nowhere in the vicinity of what the Browns offered. 

It was reported that it was all but a done deal when the Browns swooped in at the last moment and gave him a better contract.

Again, I don't blame us for balking. 

It may have been one of the best things to happen to us in a while honestly.  Think about it, Rhule would probably still be here because we would have been  just sitting stagnate waiting on Watson to play this past season.

45 minutes ago, Eric4280 said:

Him declaring pushes everything down one more spot to us, I’ll take it. I see the Colts or Raiders going all in on him if Houston doesn’t take em.

I think the Colts want Levis. Houston probably goes Young. I could see the Raiders picking Stroud and he is from the west, but I could also see the Raiders being the Raiders and skipping Stroud to get to Richardson. 

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, ncfan said:

Maybe the same way Russell Wilson held up better than those guys

it goes back to unteachable tools.  His pocket awareness, his ability to feel pressure helps.  He isn’t a runner like Lamar or even Kyler.

he is a scrambler,  which is a big difference. He has the sense and the feel when pressure to scramble to avoid like we always saw Russ do.  He has it between the ears like you saw with Bree’s and Russ.

and to compare him to Tua.  Man, you need to go back and watch the actual film of those 2 in college before throwing out that comparison.

I'm not comparing skills. I'm comparing bodies.

I'd take Tua over Young in a cage match and rake it in.

Too small. That's why I predict that Young will drop because of his body type.