• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

1/17 Athletic/Brugler Mock: Panthers Trade Up

Bear Hands

2 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:

I love these three picks by Brugler....someone that is one of the most tapped in scouts/analysts out there.

Moving up to 5 seems more realistic than going up to 1 or 3. We would be able to retain most of our valued picks without giving up the farm. Stroud is my favorite of the three and would take care of our biggest glaring need. 

Pairing Stroud & Gibbs w/ Steichen-Brian Johnson or Johnson-Duce Staley/Brunell with a re-signed Bozeman would be an outstanding start.

Also, the DL out of Georgia Tech that we took at 60 is also a low-key promising/upside draft pick. He's freaky athletic at 6'5" 285 and from NC originally. 

Thanks for the GT kid shoutout.  I should've just posted the whole thing in my OP, forget the Athletic is paid, but do highly recommend it for all who don't.  It's like 1.99/month

50 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

While I definitely agree with you, I think it all comes down to his workouts and how the scouts see him.  You cant trade away your first next year to take a qb just to take one. Over reaching for need puts a lot of teams in a hole quick.  In the history of the panthers how often has trading future draft picks worked well for us?

Yeah I agree 100%.  They need to be sold on him to draft him period, especially if they are throwing in future picks to acquire him.

7 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

This is a scenario some have been floating with Levis being projected QB1 or 2 by HOU or IND.  Some have been panning this, others promoting, and I think we all would find to be a conversation starter at the least. 

Next year's first is high, but this would keep most of our remaining picks in tact.  40 is nice to keep.  I'd maybe think one of our thirds and next years 2nd could do it.  2024 1st would for sure, but it's a steep price.  

https://theathletic.com/4097059/2023/01/17/2023-nfl-mock-draft-dane-brugler/

I hate to give up future draft picks but if the Panthers could obtain the No. 5 for Nos. 9, 93 and a 2024 first-round pick, I would be all for it.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, SazmoRanger said:

Lol what? I agree with everything except you’re really comparing Hubbard to Gibbs? What makes you say that? Gibbs is 100x the pass catcher that Hubbard is. Gibbs also has another gear and twitch that is unmatched by Hubbard. 

Gibbs is a better prospect but has yet to play in the NFL. The real point is that we don't need to take Gibbs at #39 with our first second round pick. That is way to high for a rb when we have much bigger needs. 

All the trade up talk will be moot when we give up this years first or next years to sign Sean Payton anyways.   I'm definitely against that more than trading up for Stroud but that's the way things currently seemed to be headed imo.  I'd rather bring in Steichen personally.

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

All the trade up talk will be moot when we give up this years first or next years to sign Sean Payton anyways.   I'm definitely against that more than trading up for Stroud but that's the way things currently seemed to be headed imo.  I'd rather bring in Steichen personally.

That's what I was thinking.  If we trade for Payton (gross) then we will not have our top pick next year.  That makes it very difficult to move up in this draft to acquire our guy AND makes it hard to land one in the next draft (which looks to be loaded).   I have a feeling the Payton route leads to an expensive vet QB like Brady or Carr and just screws up our cap/draft for several years.  Give me the new younger coach that will have the patience to develop a rookie QB plus our picks.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1