• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I Think it Should Be Wilks...

SetfreexX

6 minutes ago, NJPanthers12 said:

Stopped reading at the title of the post. That’s a lot of words to just say I have no idea what I’m taking about. 

Spoken like a true huddler...

Fact is, he resurrected this team damn near instantly with nothing to work with in the QB dept. 

• Poo 1

7 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

McD's last year here 2016

26th in PPG allowed

21th in YPG allowed

Steve Wilks 2017

11th in PPG allowed

7th in YPG allowed

Tell me more about riding coattails with the same personnel as you mentioned. 

As far as those double digit losses you throw out with no context -- only 3 were as the interim Panthers coach. (LAR (1st game as interim), CIN, BAL (10 points)

The other three losses were by - 3, 8, and 6 points, that's a point differential of 5.67

So again, as stated, he didn't select his staff / QB in ARI and we're putting the results on his head 100%...got it.

You're going to have to do better than throwing out stats from the ARI time as 1) it was 5 years ago, and 2) his lack of impact is limited due to and I say this again, not his staff / not his QB.

Do note, I didn't qualify the records, just said he took over McD's defense.  That's one of only 2 years as a coordinator. 

Like I prefaced, AZ was likely not his doing but you have to take note and check things out.  It doesn't mean all critique of him during that period can somehow be discounted.  And yes, that is 5 years ago because he was subsequently with Cleveland, then wasn't even in football in 2020 and in Mizzou in 2021.  

No need to get into the nitty gritty when the big picture is so undoubtedly clear that we can and should do better.  Losing by double digits is losing by double digits.  Nothing against the guy, I'm not trying to mindlessly bash, but we have to move forward here.  

8 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

We were a one trick pony though, that's my argument. Literally everyone knew we were going to run the ball. We beat teams who were bad against the run. Seattle and Detroit were #3 and #4 worst in the league against the run. Cincy and Baltimore, both top 5. Pitt, top 10. TB, mediocre at run defense so we split. NO, bottom 10 run defense, we swept them.

There was no exceptional game plan after he took over, it was just pound that rock. We should have won the games we won because we were built to win against those teams. Any team that was remotely good against the run and we had no counterpunch. 

Granted, he still identified that was what our identity should be based on our personnel, something Rhule was oblivious to, but that comes back to Wilks actually being competent. 

Do you know why...

Can't be any planer, we DO NOT, and in those games this year DID NOT have a quarterback.

Having QBs on the roster is not the same as ''having a quarterback''. 

Pounding the rock was all this roster was capable of doing / sustaining

Some of ya'll acting like this season happened while we had a legit offense. 

Moore / the OL / Foreman....that was all we were really working with

TMJ had flashes, Shi, had some flashes, we got practically NOTHING from the TE's outside a few Tremble TDs, but no consistent game to game TE threat...

Like what exactly were people thinking was going to me a recipe to attempt to win games...

1 minute ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Going 6-6 isn't a resurrection. It's keeping a damn from bursting.

After two years of .300 win %, and a 1-4 start...

To being in playoff contention up until Week 17....

Please define resurrection, because I know damn well watching on Sundays became worth it after he took over...

18 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

A close loss isn't a loss...FIFY

And you can't take away or diminish the appearances just because you are not a fan of the coaching style, that is simply ignorant. 

Man, don't even worry about all the backlash. These dudes aren't going to stop moving the goalposts. Your opening post said everything that needed to be said and they are making you reexplain the same points over and over. I was there a few weeks ago and they literally don't care. You even shut down the argument about our defense getting weaker the year before he became Arizona's HC. You brought up the point about them firing black head coaches after one year and somebody posted a gif rolling their eyes. It is funny the way people are dismissive after you start crushing their weak arguments. Case in point, if someone is still dumb enough to say Wilks didn't adjust during the Tampa Bay game, there is no helping them. He would be one of the best options at HC for us going forward and these people showing how little they know about football post after post aren't going to change that. 

• Pie 1
  • Poo 2

6 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

Do you know why...

Can't be any planer, we DO NOT, and in those games this year DID NOT have a quarterback.

Having QBs on the roster is not the same as ''having a quarterback''. 

Pounding the rock was all this roster was capable of doing / sustaining

Some of ya'll acting like this season happened while we had a legit offense. 

Moore / the OL / Foreman....that was all we were really working with

TMJ had flashes, Shi, had some flashes, we got practically NOTHING from the TE's outside a few Tremble TDs, but no consistent game to game TE threat...

Like what exactly were people thinking was going to me a recipe to attempt to win games...

I gave him credit where it was due. He identified that's all we were good for because he's competent. He is Rivera.

I want more than competent with my HC though. I want better than Rivera.

• Pie 1

Just now, *FreeFua* said:

If we end up with Wilks I hope we just let Corral lead us to another top 10 pick and do this all again next offseason 

Rhule screwed us putting Corral behind that crap oline in preseason. Wasn't it that fat guard from Alabama that let his man straight through that got him hurt? Deonte Brown? With a healthy Corral, the smart play we saw from other teams is to let your new draftee take his lumps and get a good draft pick. Nine just flat out sucks. Too low for a good qb, too high for Anthony Richardson, and really not sure what we do with it. WR is deep, LB is deep, and too early for a TE.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

Spoken like a true huddler...

Fact is, he resurrected this team damn near instantly with nothing to work with in the QB dept. 

he went 6-6. What did he resurrect, blew 2 golden opportunities to make the playoffs. First game he lost at home to backup qb with Pittsburgh. Then his defense, which is his specialty, completely crapped the bed against Tampa to win the division.

If we are celebrating him closing our strong against New Orleans, then idk what to tell you. Thst might have been the single worst offensive performance I’ve ever seen and I’ve watched Jimmy clausen and Randy fasani.

let’s not forget about his wonderful 3-13 stint with the Arizona cardinals. Let’s not forget about him getting fired one year with Cleveland after that. The only defensive coordinator job he was able to land after that was at Missouri, a bottom level SEC job. Not one team outside the panthers have interviewed him for a head coaching job post Arizona.

if you honestly watch the nfl and see the direction the game is headed and the coaches who are running the dominant teams in the nfl and still think wilks is the answer, then I have no idea what to tell you. You are beyond lost. 

i promise you if wilks is hired, we are looking for our next coach at a minimum 3 years from now. 

• Pie 6

4 minutes ago, NJPanthers12 said:

he went 6-6. What did he resurrect, blew 2 golden opportunities to make the playoffs. First game he lost at home to backup qb with Pittsburgh. Then his defense, which is his specialty, completely crapped the bed against Tampa to win the division.

If we are celebrating him closing our strong against New Orleans, then idk what to tell you. Thst might have been the single worst offensive performance I’ve ever seen and I’ve watched Jimmy clausen and Randy fasani.

let’s not forget about his wonderful 3-13 stint with the Arizona cardinals. Let’s not forget about him getting fired one year with Cleveland after that. The only defensive coordinator job he was able to land after that was at Missouri, a bottom level SEC job. Not one team outside the panthers have interviewed him for a head coaching job post Arizona.

if you honestly watch the nfl and see the direction the game is headed and the coaches who are running the dominant teams in the nfl and still think wilks is the answer, then I have no idea what to tell you. You are beyond lost. 

i promise you if wilks is hired, we are looking for our next coach at a minimum 3 years from now. 

I disagree. We have one year of 8/9 wins, then we make the playoffs in year two, then we tank in year three, then we're back to 8/9 wins in year four maybe squeaking into the playoffs with a late season run that saves his job, and then we tank year 5 and we are right back where we started. 

It's Ron Rivera all over again. Wilks is capable of doing what Rivera did, I don't doubt that. I just want more consistency (GOOD consistency, not Rhule incompetent consistency)

8 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

After two years of .300 win %, and a 1-4 start...

To being in playoff contention up until Week 17....

Please define resurrection, because I know damn well watching on Sundays became worth it after he took over...

Being better then rhule shouldnt be the determining factor for getting this job

• Pie 7

3 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I disagree. We have one year of 8/9 wins, then we make the playoffs in year two, then we tank in year three, then we're back to 8/9 wins in year four, maybe squeak into the playoffs, and then we tank year 5 and we are right back where we started. 

It's Ron Rivera all over again. Wilks is capable of doing what Rivera did, I don't doubt that. I just want more consistency (GOOD consistency, not Rhule incompetent consistency)

Perrrty much.

It would also be nice to have someone not so intimately tied to the last 2 regimes that we all want to get away from.  That fact alone just makes this scenario feel like such a complete and utter downer.  

Edited by Bear Hands
  • Pie 1