• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I Think it Should Be Wilks...

SetfreexX

11 hours ago, Byrdman4real said:

I'm 39 years old so yes I knew this already. It does not mean McDermott did learn much under Rivera. But not all his coaching abilities came from him. He was under Andy Reids coaching tree. 

Andy Reid or not, the coach he cut his teeth under was Rivera. He was fired in PHI...

That's not coaching tree success, that came here in CAR and most of the talk about him getting HC considerations was after a few years here.

Had nothing to do with ''Andy Reid'' ties. 

• Poo 2

Wilks blew it in the Tampa game by punting on two 4th and 1 opportunities early in the game. With the offense rolling and a chance to stomp the Bucs into oblivion early, Wilks chickened out and played conservative. It was a game where all caution should have been thrown to the wind and all the stops pulled out. How will he coach when he has security? Probably even more conservative.

I’m not a fan of going back to John Fox/Ron Rivera conservative play bend-don’t-break defense (although often, Wilks’s defenses did break) and running the ball. It’s a new era of football where the rules heavily benefit the passing game. 

But ultimately who cares. Tepper is a horrible owner in so many ways and I’m confident whatever choice he makes, even if it’s a good decision at first, will be a failure because of he is too involved and obviously has no idea how to build a winning football team. 

• Pie 1

20 hours ago, rebelrouser said:

Wow, sounds like one of the other teams that needs a head coach would really want him.  

Pro Wilks crowd will not address this. He went .500 as the coach and lost every big game he coached in. But by god, I’m not sure we can do better. 

I have been and will continue to hope we get anyone but Steve Wilks. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

20 hours ago, NJPanthers12 said:

Nah I’ve been reading this thread and there have been multiple people including myself who have given you legitimate reasons to why wilks would be an abysmal hire.

but you only respond to the posts that are calling you out or patting you on the back.

Because when you are getting one sentence dismissive posts, those aren't worth responding to either. I love debating posts with laid out arguments, but too often once any football based rebuttal is made it turns in to a name calling contest or worst. Also, Wilks wouldn't be an abysmal hire. He may not be the one you want, but abysmal is laughable. 

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

Because when you are getting one sentence dismissive posts, those aren't worth responding to either. I love debating posts with laid out arguments, but too often once any football based rebuttal is made it turns in to a name calling contest or worst. Also, Wilks wouldn't be an abysmal hire. He may not be the one you want, but abysmal is laughable. 

i agree with you. i was being kind with abysmal. it would be way worse.

1 hour ago, Butterflyj30 said:

I think it should be Wilks!! He wants to be here and the team wants him here!! It seems like a lot of Candidates are even turning down being interviewed

I know Johnson decided to stay in Detroit but who all has declined? And if we are highlighting this as a reasoning why Wilks should be the guy why would we not also assess why no one else has requested to interview him for their coaching vacancy?

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, SetfreexX said:

Andy Reid or not, the coach he cut his teeth under was Rivera. He was fired in PHI...

That's not coaching tree success, that came here in CAR and most of the talk about him getting HC considerations was after a few years here.

Had nothing to do with ''Andy Reid'' ties. 

It’s really the Jim Johnson tree.   Ron and McD both are part of it.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Kentucky Panther said:

Pro Wilks crowd will not address this. He went .500 as the coach and lost every big game he coached in. But by god, I’m not sure we can do better. 

I have been and will continue to hope we get anyone but Steve Wilks. 

How do you win big games regularly without a ''big game'' QB. 

Name a team that wins big games regularly and consistently without one of the better QBs...

Literally we were working with some of the worst options. 

What kind of unrealistic expectations did you guys have for Baker, or Sam...?

I mean damn, he went .500 with essentially no QB, and a limited defense. 

Edited by SetfreexX