• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New Coach Thread 2: Electric Boogaloo

Ricky Spanish

2 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

Are we hoping Steichen is the best of Rob Chudzinski, Mike McCoy, Anthony Lynn and Norv Turner? A coach that is the product of the Seifert, Fox, Rivera and Wilks coaching lines? It's no wonder the Eagles offense resembles the Panthers 2015 15-1 offense. An offense that can pile up the points on a weak defense in the playoffs and then struggles when the buzz saw that is a top NFL defense gets in the way.

Two things derailed the 2015 season ending: Peyton Manning retirement gift, and Ron/Shula (but mostly Manning) 

Edited by Manna
  • Pie 2

4 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Unlike you I don't focus on one thing, yours being drafting a QB in round one just to say we have a round one QB.

Corral has to be in the discussion with our new HC.  Whether they believe he has skills to be a starting QB or not. If you have a HC that believes Corral has what it takes than it gives the franchise the opportunity to use our picks on other positions of needs.

Steichen, Payton and Reich are great with QBs.  Any of these coaches, two are my favorites to win the job, can take a young QB and develop him. 

Do I want Corral to succeed, absolutely.  Do I think getting a coach that can work with him is the right move, yes.  

Yours is drafted a QB at all cost. 

I don't really care who wins your debate, but people  pushing all their chips in with Corral blows my mind.  Dude was a 3rd round pick, didn't look good in preseason action, and was injured for the year.  Guy can barely take a snap from under center.  No plans should be made centered around Corral as the future of the franchise.  I think you give him a window with an opportunity to be pleasantly surprise the organization, but he isn't the future.  Maybe the future backup.

• Pie 3

5 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I think our best move is Steichen but Payton being 2nd. 

Steichen will have a full set of draft picks and I think that will be key in the decision.

I think if we hire Payton it is going to be based on whether he thinks Corral will be his QB.  If Payton thinks he can work Corral into our starting QB than we will trade this years pick to New Orleans.  New Orleans will not be happy if he comes to Carolina and I don't think they'll accept our 2024 pick.  They'll want 2023 but if we could somehow give up next year's pick than that makes hiring Payton much more realistic.   

I prefer Steichen.

I think it's way more likely that Tepper asked Payton, "so you think you can convince Brady or Rodgers to come here" than "tell me your thoughts on Matt Corral". 

If he can get one of them, losing those picks hurts a whole lot less. If he can trade a Burns or Brown to replace some or all of those picks (since he'd likely be able to scheme around them when they're opposing) for maybe Houston's #12 this year and either their 2024 #1 or the 2024 Cleveland #1 that they own--all the better.

These moves shouldn't be seen in a vacuum, but instead 3-4 steps ahead at least.

5 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

I don't really care who wins your debate, but people  pushing all their chips in with Corral blows my mind.  Dude was a 3rd round pick, didn't look good in preseason action, and was injured for the year.  Guy can barely take a snap from under center.  No plans should be made centered around Corral as the future of the franchise.  I think you give him a window with an opportunity to be pleasantly surprise the organization, but he isn't the future.  Maybe the future backup.

Yeah his name shouldn’t even be mentioned when talking to HC candidates. If he some how works out it’s a great bonus, but right now we need an answer at the QB position that isn’t dependent on a previous coach’s 3rd round rookie who was on IR all year. 

Just now, Kentucky Panther said:

Can this please be the last interview of the “first” round? We’ve seen interviewed everyone and their mothers at this point. Hopefully we have it pretty narrowed down after this. 

It apparently is. The only thing that would change it is if we requested an interview with someone else (like Brian Callahan).

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Confirmed for today...

I love all the interviews. At worst they are picking the minds of a bunch of potential HCs about which direction our franchise should go. Moore is getting a lot of criticism here, but last play aside I mostly saw Dak struggling. The play calling wasn’t the issue IMO.

• Pie 6

I think it's Steichen. I think we are waiting because he isn't officially available to hire due to Eagles still alive in the playoffs. The further they go, the higher his stock goes and the hotter he is. If we wait and miss out on him or lose him we will be settling on our version of a lesser candidate or we will end up chasing after Sean Payton if Denver hasn't snagged him yet. 

I would just rather take a chance with Steichen so we don't have to give up draft capital and Payton is a complete DICK WEED anyhow and I've always hated him. I won't deny he is a very good offensive but he is a complete douche hole by nature that makes Bill Belicheck look like a sweet heart so he isn't my first choice. Plus I can only see Payton in that ugly ass black and poo stained gold that he wore with the Taints. 

I would take a big chance on Steichen that he turns out to be quite the opposite of Matt Rhule and actually isn't a puts ball loser as Rhule was. At least he does have NFL success as a coordinator and has proven he can help develop QB's which is nothing like Matt Rhule.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I love all the interviews. At worst they are picking the minds of a bunch of potential HCs about which direction our franchise should go. Moore is getting a lot of criticism here, but last play aside I mostly saw Dak struggling. The play calling wasn’t the issue IMO.

The last play was. 😕