• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Frank Reich potential staff

hepcat

3 hours ago, Basbear said:

If old fox wants to be a defense analyst here, no issues and welcome back! Hope hes still got his porsche...... i bet he still remembers me waving to him while at the waiting for Marriott shuttle..... 

Foxy catches a lot of poo on this board. But I love him.  He was a good coach for us. I'd love to have him back in some capacity.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

58 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I agree. But you got to have the personnel to do it effectively.  Do we have the personnel currently on the team to make the switch easily enough?  That's the million dollar question. 

In many ways we do. In a Jim Johnson scheme you need linebackers who can blitz and also play coverage. With Luvu and Shaq you have 2 of the 3 and need another. Our front four would work with another solid DE who is good rushing  the qb and defending the run. 

The secondary was key because routinely blitzing 5 and 6 even 7 players meant everyone not blitzing was in a zone shell or on an island expecting the blitz to pressure enough to give them a sack or chance for an int. I think Horn, Jackson,  Chinn and Woods all fit the bill. With some additions we absolutely could run an aggressive defense with our current personnel. 

Edited by panthers55

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

In many ways we do. In a Jim Johnson scheme you need linebackers who can blitz and also play coverage. With Luvu and Shaq you have 2 of the 3 and need another. Our front four would work with another solid DE who is good rushing  the qb and defending the rush. 

The secondary was key because routinely blitzing 5 and 6 even 7 players meant everyone not blitzing was in a zone shell or on an island expecting the blitz to pressure enough to give them a sack or chance for an int. I think Horn, Jackson,  Chinn and Woods all fit the bill. With some additions we absolutely could run an aggressive defense with our current personnel. 

I think you have more faith in some of these players than I do. But having a DC that wants to implement it is a good starting point. I think he could eventually assemble the personnel through the draft and selective FA signings. Its nice to dream about at least. 

3 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

In many ways we do. In a Jim Johnson scheme you need linebackers who can blitz and also play coverage. With Luvu and Shaq you have 2 of the 3 and need another. Our front four would work with another solid DE who is good rushing  the qb and defending the rush. 

I will say some, but not many......Luvu for sure and to a degree shaq.....but its a mentality thats missing form the other players. In my eyes Chinn took one&half step back, dont care about his injury. Dawkins was one the scariest mofos on the field come kickoff. Chinn can try alll he wants, but hes not 1% there....besides Dawkins would be kicked out before halftime now with the rules. Totally different game.

Horn would be fine too, but hes got other issues. Just Jim had mastered the art of the biltz and was able to coach the players in that sense. You have to trust a player to sack the QB in order to call a biltz form a odd setting. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Jackie Lee said:

Not surprising the 2 up and coming guys Kris Richard and Marquand Manuel were around Seattle when Fitt was there. Not sure if those were completely independent of Reich and just suggestions to offer him or what.  Kris Richard would be interesting, definitely an upgrade over Holcomb. Dunno much about Manuel

Quoting Joe Person...

The Panthers were impressed with the staff Reich has rounded up. These aren’t “wish list” assistants, but guys who have already committed to joining Reich in Charlotte.

(Link)

So basically, they're already recruited and assembled.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 2

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Quoting Joe Person...

The Panthers were impressed with the staff Reich has rounded up. These aren’t “wish list” assistants, but guys who have already committed to joining Reich in Charlotte.

(Link)

So would that mean the DC's Fitt/Tepper interviewed would not be in the plan? Or that Reich possibly talked to them separately as well and it still could be Richard/Manuel?

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Quoting Joe Person...

(Link)

Impressive indeed…can’t wait to see who’s coming aboard!

2 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

So would that mean the DC's Fitt/Tepper interviewed would not be in the plan? Or that Reich possibly talked to them separately as well and it still could be Richard/Manuel?

Reich interviewed early, before any of the potential DCs if I recall correctly.

So if I had to make a guess, I'd say Reich might have mentioned at least one of those names.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

20 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Quoting Joe Person...

(Link)

Yea that's what won him the job, he came into the second interview and went in depth and said this is who I've already interviewed and will come to charlotte with me. 

• Pie 1

47 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

In many ways we do. In a Jim Johnson scheme you need linebackers who can blitz and also play coverage. With Luvu and Shaq you have 2 of the 3 and need another. Our front four would work with another solid DE who is good rushing  the qb and defending the run. 

Move Chinn back to LB and there you go!!!!  Totally agree with you.  Certainly we need to draft a CB with one of our 2nd round picks.  Honestly, with this coaching hire I could see more veterans coming our way to fill out our depth.  Hopefully we hit pay-dirt in the draft this year with all of our higher picks!